OT Central Heating

Old October 18th 04, 10:39 PM
Ann

I never turn my heat off. When it gets warm in the spring it just doesn't
run any more. I know the past few weeks the heat has come on overnight as
the radiators are warm in the morning. You need to think about your comfort.
If you are cold in your home it is time to turn the heat on.
Ann

"Doe John" wrote in message
At what temperature do people start to turn on their central heating?
I normally wait til end of October when the daytime temp indoors is
around 55 degrees. Now it is around 57 degrees indoors in the
morning.Very cold. Catching colds constantly. I thought of turning it
on a week ago when my cat would constanty climb on top of me because I
was the best source of heat. I'm a walking elecrric blanket to
her.Feels colder now than in the past since I lost about 40 pounds
since last May.

Old October 19th 04, 03:04 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Doe John wrote:

At what temperature do people start to turn on their central heating?
I normally wait til end of October when the daytime temp indoors is
around 55 degrees. Now it is around 57 degrees indoors in the
morning.Very cold. Catching colds constantly. I thought of turning it
on a week ago when my cat would constanty climb on top of me because I
was the best source of heat. I'm a walking elecrric blanket to
her.Feels colder now than in the past since I lost about 40 pounds
since last May.

Is there a set "rule"? I'd say if you're cold, it's time
for the heat! Most central heating is regulated by a
thermostat, so it won't come on when it's warmer than you've
set it for. Individual preferences vary, so IMO it's
entirely up to you.

Old October 19th 04, 03:42 AM
Stormin Mormon

I turn it on when the indoor temp drops below about 65 by morning. That's no
set time, just whenver I get cold.

Actually, when the fall cold days when it's wet. That's when the cold really
slices through me, and I'm glad for the furnace.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 19th 04, 05:39 AM
Rrb

Doe John wrote:
At what temperature do people start to turn on their central heating?
I normally wait til end of October when the daytime temp indoors is
around 55 degrees. Now it is around 57 degrees indoors in the
morning.Very cold. Catching colds constantly. I thought of turning it
on a week ago when my cat would constanty climb on top of me because I
was the best source of heat. I'm a walking elecrric blanket to
her.Feels colder now than in the past since I lost about 40 pounds
since last May.

This is the recommendation of our local electric company (though
according to them this is for energy efficiency while still keeping it
at a comfortable temperature for most people):

The best temperature for your heater's thermostat is 68°F or below.
Before bedtime, turn it down to 55°F or lower (or even off) for more
savings. And if you don't want to wake up to a cold house, let a setback
thermostat turn the heat up an hour before you plan to wake up. If you
have a heat pump, raising and lowering the thermostat could cause the
electric heating strips to come on, significantly increasing your
heating costs.

Finally, thermostats should never be turned up high to heat a home in a
hurry. It won't heat your home any faster.