Thanks Sharon - Thelma (aka Red Tongue) update

Old September 23rd 04, 11:56 AM
Wendy

Default Thanks Sharon - Thelma (aka Red Tongue) update

I separated her from her more relaxed siblings last weekend and set her up
in a small dog crate with a sheet covering three sides. We had kind of
reached a plateau where she didn't like people but tolerated them if she had
to so I figured I'd try starting over with her.

I pretty much left her alone in the cage for a few days other than talking
to her and reaching in the cage to give her food and water and do liter
maintenance. At first she seemed happy to huddle in the back of the cage but
after a day or so I heard her meowing like she was lonely.

I got some kitty treats and have been trying to entice her to come closer
with them. She isn't overly wild about the treats. Yesterday I was making up
some tuna salad and offered her a piece of tuna. She did come over and eat
that from my hand. Later while cleaning up the cage, I reached toward her
with a fist. She started sniffing my hand so I reached out and started
scritching her under her chin and behind the ear. To my surprise, she
started leaning into my hand and actually purred.

Since then I've noticed her spending more time at the uncovered front of the
cage and was just able to reach through the bars and pet her without her
moving away.

Looks like some progress is being made. Now I'm kicking myself. I should
have done more research sooner. She's a black cat and if she doesn't warm up
super soon (I'm not counting on that) she can't be shown until after
Halloween now.

Old September 23rd 04, 09:38 PM
Sharon Talbert

Good luck with this one. Of course you realize she is bonding to
you...the next person needs to know they may well have to earn her trust.

Soon you might try introducing Red Tongue to others, while still in her
cage. Arm them with treats; food is love for felines. Then loads of lap
time.

Anecdote: We had one guy, years ago, who bonded to the household cats
(one in particular) but would avoid me. In his case, I simply shunned
him, providing for his physical needs but not speaking to him or touching
him or even making eye contact. After just a few days of this, he
approached me while I was sitting in the living room. I ignored him. He
stood by me and meowed. I ignored him. He jumped up beside me and meowed
again. I ignored him. Then suddenly he yowled! right in my ear and poked
me with a paw. I immediately turned to him and began to pet him while he
purred. The connection was made.

Good luck.

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats

Old September 23rd 04, 10:26 PM
Wendy

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
. washington.edu...

[...]

Sounds like my Tigger. In spite of her being a very affectionate kitten she
at some point decided if you didn't live in the house you weren't OK. If
anyone comes over she just sits there as bold as could be but if they
approach her she hisses and swats and is generally unpleasant. She can't
stay away though. If a "stranger" ignores her next thing you know she's be
rubbing up against their legs and head butting them. She's mellowed in her
old age and actually likes a couple of people who come over from time to
time. The vet is still on her s*** list though (

With Thelma where do I go from here? She's still in the cage. I let her
siblings out to run around the kitchen a while back and then had a heck of a
time getting them back in the cage. The next day I wasn't a popular person
with them so I don't want to let Thelma run around if it's too soon. My
husband interacts with her also and she has started letting him pet her
without her cowering and doing the usual shy routine and she hasn't hissed
at anyone for a day or two.

How long do I have to keep her away from her siblings?

Old September 26th 04, 11:01 PM
Wendy

[...]

I packed Thelma, Louise and Harry off to PetSmart yesterday. None of them
were adopted ( but I think the experience was good for all. Louise didn't
need any help as she's a sweetheart with anyone but Thelma and Harry are
sooooo much more settled today than before their road trip. Neither seems
stressed at all by being picked up and Thelma even purrs when she's up on my
shoulder.

I've moved Thelma back into the cage with Louise and Harry and moved
Clarence into the single cage. Hopefully being by himself with help him as
much as it did Thelma.

I've got two weeks before we'll be showing cats so I'm hoping to have them
all ready to go. Our group moves into the adoption center in a new PetSmart
next weekend ) Finally - permanent digs for our guys. Most of them will
still be in foster homes but at least some will be on display all the time
now.