Tiggy only has a few days left until her kittens arrive

Old March 12th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Tiggy only has a few days left until her kittens arrive

Those of you who know me, will remember that we decided to give up
breeding. We had our Toms neutered & we scheduled to have 2 of the
girls done, but our previous vet went out on an emergency call, so we
didn't manage to get both Lilly & Tiggy spayed on the day that we
hoped to.
Things went from bad to worse 4 days later, when Lilly had to be
admitted for Pyometra, & ended up having emergency surgery to remove
her womb, but instead of costing me £20 (with vouchers from the Cat
Protection League, It cost me slightly over £400 in the end because it
was an emergency operation ($800ish).

Straight after that operation, Lilly contracted Fvc (Flu!!) & all of
our faithful feline friends ended up with a dose of it too,even though
they were vaccinated against feline flu!
we had to find a new vet that did offer 24/7 care, that Lilly didn't
receive during her stay @ the previous veterinary surgery.

It ended up costing us what we believed at the time to be our last
litter of 4 kittens, to fading kitten syndrome.
Belle was spayed a week after her kittens died ,which was very
emotional for us all here.

A few days after loosing Belle's babes, we realised that Tiggy, the
seal Tabby Point was rather podgy (Guttuss maximus)..& found out that
she was indeed pregnant, & that she was nearly 7 weeks pregnant.

So we took her to the new Veterinary surgery, where we were advised to
see if we could find someone to have Tiggy during her confinement, &
also for the first 12 weeks of her kittens lives too, because of the
fear that she might also contract Fcv, & either abort her litter, or
we stood the chance of loosing her kittens as well!!
An unthinkable tragedy as you can imagine.

We did a bit of ringing around, & managed to find a friend who also
does a bit of active work for the Cat Protection League, & was willing
to have Tiggy for that length of rime, & then we moved her over to
Karen's place the following day, & she has been there ever since. I
get to see her most day's via web cam, but it is not quite the same as
cuddling her as I am sure that you can understand.. But this isn't all
about me, it is for Tiggy's & her kittens welfare...

However, today I went to see her, so it meant having to scrub down
thoroughly & spray my hands with hibiscrub as well as dipping my shoes
in Sporal D too.. but it was worth it just to spend an hour with her,
purring her little head off, having head rubs, leg weaves & lots of
ear rubs too... we even had a very short walk top the meadow for 5
minutes, & she had a nice chew on the grass before we turned back,
then I took her back to her comfortable radiator sheepskin bed, which
has been especially lowered so that she can hop into it without having
to jump - Wonderful;o)

I calculate that she will be due in the following 5ish days...I can't
help but be concerned for her, when you consider what our feline
family have all been through.
Tiggy was the only cat that didn't contract the virus, so we remain
quite optimistic that she won't develop it, because the incubatory
period is over now. I remain vigilant as ever, as Karen does too.. but
you can't help that tiny nagging doubt after all that bad luck.
As soon as we know that she has had her kittens, I will let you all
know how she got on & also how many babes she had as well.
I took a photo of her this morning to share with you all.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...9WeeksPregnant
More news as we have it
S;o)

Old March 12th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:04:19 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

[...]

Tiggy is beautiful! We are sending purrs for a safe delivery and happy,
healthy babes. MLB
Old March 12th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 12 Mar, 16:04, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

she is so beautiful, and those eyes are gorgeous too! fingers crossed
it all goes well, she is an angel in furry form

bookie

Old March 12th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 12 Mar, 17:32, "bookie" wrote:
[...]

bookie- Hide quoted text -

Tiggy is beautiful! We are sending purrs for a safe delivery and
happy,
healthy babes. MLB

My thanks to you both.. I know that her being a Birman & my being an
ex breeder isn't everyone's taste, but she is my babe all the same & I
love her.
As long as we can get her through this with healthy kitty's, then it
will have all been worth it.
No idea how many kit's she might be expecting, but I have 4definate
homes ready & waiting for them, one of them being my daughter Katie
( her 21st Birthday gift from us & Tiggy too)
Katie has just been accepted @ both Manchester & Warwick to do her MA.
I am so proud of her too. There were 33 applicants & only 3
placements, she was accepted @ both!!;o)
She is taking Warwick though.

It was wonderful to spend time with Tigg's today, & very soothing for
the soul. She loved the walk, & I enjoyed the adoration of course..
funny how mistresses love their slaves so much, isn't it;o)
I will keep you informed as we go along.. & we intend to spay her as
soon as the kittens are weaned, as there is no chance of her getting
pregnant in the meantime where she is....
Already got my voucher from the CPL, & she is penciled in @ the
Cromwell Surgery on the 15th of June. With any luck we will get there
as planed ( I don't want to think of being sooner(
I would never want to go through that ever again... that is for sure!!
S;o)

Old March 12th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Looks like we'll be doing kitten watch together. I've got a foster that is
due any time this week according to the vet. I had a momma and her day-old
kittens come in last Friday so it looks like kitten season is starting
already. The momma that I got Friday had already lost two of her litter but
the remaining 4 seem to be doing well.

Here's hoping that all the mommas and their babies are healthy.

Old March 13th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Sheelagh,

She's positively gorgeous!! Wishing you a batch of healthy, beautiful
kittens. You deserve it after what you've been through! And
congratulations to your daughter! That's really a great achievement!

Bonnie

Old March 13th 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 12 Mar, 22:33, "Wendy" wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

I calculate that she will be due in the following 5ish days...I can't
help but be concerned for her, when you consider what our feline
family have all been through.
Tiggy was the only cat that didn't contract the virus (fcv), so we remain
[...]

I look forward to news of your litter too then.
I don't know about you, but I think that kitten season seems to have
started even earlier this year than in previous years...?

I guess that it could be something to do with Global warming. I notice
that all of the usual web sites are full of them & so are the local
news papers already, where in years gone by, they didn't really kick
off until around April or May time.

It is a shame to hear that she has lost two already, but this is the
way of nature.

Since posting on this site, I have come to see that in the USA, there
seems to be a huge surplus of kittens available each year; or more
surplus than we seem to have in the UK.

I don't mean that we don'tt have too many kittens, but rather that
people seem to abandon them when they get larger, than no homes for
the kittens to go to, if that makes any sense?
I was expecting someone to flame me for offering my daughter, Katie a
kitten, but no one has so far.
I would never dream of giving a kitten to someone that I didn't think
would be utterly committed.
She has always wanted one of our Kitties to have in her own home, but
this is the first real chance that she has had since leaving home. In
her 1st year away, she was living in halls of residence where they
don't allow you to have pets.. & in the second year, she was house
sharing in a house where the land lord wouldn't allow one either.
This will be her first real home of her own, with her boyfriend of 6
years, so She asked if she might have one out of this litter, & I have
agreed to allow her to have one as part of her 21st birthday gift. She
won a scholarship to do a master of Arts, so she can now afford to
feed, insure and love and care for one of the kitties, so I don't mind
her having one.
From living @ home, she knows what a commitment it is to have a cat,

so It seems appropriate to allow her to have one to share the next 15-
20 years of her life now. She wouldn't normally be able to afford one,
but in this case it will be free for me, so I think she is entitled to
one, after all of the kitty litters that she has cleaned out, & cats
that she has groomed, nursed & cared for in the past, before she left
home.

I just hope that everything goes ok.. & that I am worrying about
nothing. But only time will tell us that one. Tiggy tested negative
for Fvc., & had no raised white count either. it doesn't hurt to go
careful though, just to be certain for the kittens sakes as well as
Tiggy's too. I wil let you know when they arrive.
S;o)

Old March 13th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 13 Mar, 03:34, "22brix" wrote:
Sheelagh,

She's positively gorgeous!! Wishing you a batch of healthy, beautiful
kittens. You deserve it after what you've been through! And
congratulations to your daughter! That's really a great achievement!

Bonnie

Thank you Bonnie;o)
I am ever so proud of both my little girls too.
Tiggy seems to have settled quite happily into her foster home, where
they have been kind enough to lower her sheep - skin radiator bed so
that she doesn't have to jump to get into it even!! She also has her
own personal quarters where she she can choose to go to if she wants
to be alone, or she can join the family in their living room if she
wants to as well..(she seems to prefer that to being on her own)...

Her host family have no cats of their own, so she is allowed to roam
the downstairs when she wants to & share a few laps with them too of
course;o)
Apparently, she was calling for me yesterday after I left,.. so I have
decided that I will only go around to see her when I feel I must,
rather than when I want to. I don't want to upset her, or make her
feel that I have abandoned her.
She is actually geographically only about 500 yards away from our own
home, so not very far, which is ideal, because when she has her
kittens, I would like to attend her if it is possible, If Karen needs
me. Otherwise, I think I would be foolish to be around her, in case I
am carrying any sort of nasty lurking viruses, or bugs... otherwise I
will have defeated the whole object of taking her there, to protect
both her & her kittens.

If anyone has any thoughts on this one, I would love to hear them? (In
the case where Karen calls me for assistance if she needs a hand with
her whilst she has her kittens.)

Birmans are notoriously lazy when it comes to having their kittens.
Last year when Lilly had her 1st and only litter, I found myself
having to help her break the sacks around her kittens, rubbing them
against mummy's fur to get them to breath & meow, then putting them to
the teat to stimulate the placentas to follow each kitten; @ one
stage, she had delivered two kittens, but both of the each kittens
placenta's had been retained, whilst each kitten had already
arrived..!!

That frightened me..!!

My daughter Katie, is currently still @ Leicester University where she
is just finishing her current degree.
She spent the whole of last summer working for social services,
assisting with children's services, then @ the end of the summer she
volunteered to help them out with Social service organised holidays
with both disadvantaged children, & also . Katie went on a couple of
trips, assisting with another group of children with disabilities and
learning difficulties too, to get some valuable experience that she
knew that she would need to satisfy the criteria when it came to
applying to get a scholarship to get onto this Master of Arts post
graduate degree - funded by the government & social services in
particular. I admire her because working for social services a very
thankless task, & even more so with children who's parents don't want
their intervention.

Her boyfriend has also just won a scholarship too, funded by Glaxo
Smith Klein, to do a PHD in genetic medicine, because he wants to go
on to become a professor in genetics, & eventually lecture @
University himself...

They have worked so hard to get to where they are. As you must know,
scholarships are few & far between, so for them both to win one has
been a marvelous gift..!!
Because they will both be working @ separate universities from this
coming September, they have decided to move half way in between &
commute, so that they can stay together.

I am more than certain that Kitty will have a wonderful home & also a
playmate too. They are also having a Moggy kitten to keep the Birman
kitten company, from the local Cat Protection League near them, if
they have any to offer.. if not I have offered to find one for them,
around the same age, from our local shelter & socialise them here,
before they move into their new slave's home. I want to be satisfied
that both kittens are healthy & that they do get on , before allowing
them to leave to join their new mummy.

I did think about getting an older cat for them, but I'm not sure
that, that might work.
Again, any thoughts welcomed on this issue...?

That will allow all of the rest of the summer for them all to become
acquainted, under supervision, & if there are any hick ups, then I am
on hand to help out....
Having said that, Katie is no fool & will be able to care for them
well, by going on all of her previous experience @ home with our own
cats here.

( she actually asked for Lucy(fur!), but Tilly, her younger sister,
nearly screamed the house down @ the very thought of loosing
her...needless to say that we rejected that idea rather quickly;o)
News as It happens,
S;o)

Old March 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Sheelagh writes:
I was expecting someone to flame me for offering my daughter, Katie a
kitten, but no one has so far.
I would never dream of giving a kitten to someone that I didn't think
would be utterly committed.

I think it makes perfectly good sense. She's certainly been around cats
enough to know how to take care of them and know what's involved. She's got
an expert to ask if something comes up that she can't handle. If she's like
her mom, she'd be lonely without one! If for some reason she couldn't keep
it, you could take the kitten back. The kittens are already on their
way--might as well give one to someone who'll really appreciate the kitty!

Bonnie

Old March 13th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Mar 13, 10:41 am, "sheelagh" wrote:
On 13 Mar, 03:34, "22brix" wrote:

[...]

You've found a great foster situation for her. I hope every thing goes
well!

snip

[...]

The young'uns will grow up together and bond naturally. Introducing a
younger cat and an older cat often works, but it's a somewhat bigger
risk that you'll wind up with two cats who merely tolerate each other.
I think you (and your daughter) have made the right choice.

snip

Lis