Mad kitty!

Old October 23rd 04, 10:28 AM

Singh wrote:

We had this thingie when I was really little, that my parents called a
"Hollywood Bed." I never quite figured what that meant, for as a small
child I assumed we kept beds in bedrooms, not living rooms. I was in my
late twenties before I learned that it's a daybed. I've never heard
anyone outside my family call it a Hollywood bed.

Well, I never knew until recently what a "daybed" was!

It's kind of amusing to me that we have so many words for "couch".
They say that a culture will have many words for the things that are
important in that culture. Hmm...

Joyce

Old October 23rd 04, 10:54 AM
Yowie

"Singh" wrote in message

snip

Everyone was right; yesterday she did indeed pull a b@st@rd cat trick,
and I think she's having a hissy fit because we found her hidey-holes! I
really can't blame her for needed some peace and quiet though. She'd
been through a lot with the shelter, and going through a few owners;
it's no wonder that trust is going to be hard-earned with her.

Shmogg says its about time someone else took up the mantle of b*st*rd c*t.
Bonnie & Clyde are doing quite well, and Odessa does indeed sound like a
suitable acolyte. He does like the sound of "emeritus b*st*rd c*t"

Yowie

---

Old October 23rd 04, 11:44 AM
Debbie Wilson

Enfilade wrote:

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

A sofa - or if you're older, a settee! :-)

Deb.
(in England)

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old October 23rd 04, 12:32 PM
Lisa Katt

Yoj skrev i meddelandet ...

Yowie wrote:

I always find it weird to hear the American term "I'll write you"

rather
than saying "I'll write *to* you". I don't know when the dropped

"to" or the
"to the" in your case above first started to be thought of as

correct
grammar in American English, but to these Commonweatlth English

ears, it
always sounds wrong.

What I find even weirder is the comparatively new "I could
care less", when what is so clearly meant is "I could NOT
care less"!

That one really bugs me!

Joy

That one really irritates me too.
Elisabet

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM