Persia scratching the sofa

Old May 8th 04, 12:56 PM
jmcquown

Default Persia scratching the sofa

She gets up on the arm of the sofa and starts that scratching thing, all
willy nilly, like she's going to shred it to pieces... but she has no claws
except in the back (no debates, please, that's how she was when I was
adopted). So I like to tease her - you silly girl, what do you think you're
doing? You have no claws! and then I start scratching at the sofa too,
except, as you may have gathered, *I* have not been declawed

She then looks at me like I'm the one who is crazy and walks off in a huff.

Jill

Old May 8th 04, 01:52 PM
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
She gets up on the arm of the sofa and starts that scratching thing, all
willy nilly, like she's going to shred it to pieces... but she has no

claws
except in the back (no debates, please, that's how she was when I was
adopted). So I like to tease her - you silly girl, what do you think

you're
doing? You have no claws! and then I start scratching at the sofa too,
except, as you may have gathered, *I* have not been declawed

She then looks at me like I'm the one who is crazy and walks off in a

huff.

Jill

I once had a cat that had been declawed before I adopted her, and she would
also use clawing motions like you described. So, I got her a scratching
post with soft carpeting on it. She loved it!

MaryL

Old May 8th 04, 03:11 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 8 May 2004 06:56:43 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

She gets up on the arm of the sofa and starts that scratching thing, all
willy nilly, like she's going to shred it to pieces... but she has no claws
except in the back (no debates, please, that's how she was when I was
adopted). So I like to tease her - you silly girl, what do you think you're
doing? You have no claws! and then I start scratching at the sofa too,
except, as you may have gathered, *I* have not been declawed

She then looks at me like I'm the one who is crazy and walks off in a huff.

Jill

Stinky, who *has* his claws, will "scratch" stuff *without* them. He
just moves his paws exactly as if he's scratching, without extending
his claws. I can get him to start doing it, too, but mimicking the
motion himself-- he'll jump up wherever I am, and start doing it
himself. It actaully looks a bit like what he does in the litter box,
which worries my mother, but he has never ever mistaken anything else
for his litter box. I wonder what he is doing-- he will do it very
vigorously sometimes.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Old May 8th 04, 06:56 PM
Hopitus2

I am very careful to keep the "girls" claws closely clipped (no piece'a cake
w/Sylvie, the Hemingway tux, all those toes) but still once in awhile Maluce
will have a go @ that tough saddle-quality leather couch in here....and
Rowdy, declawed in front, regularly goes to town "clawing" @ a woven-rattan
occasional chair. It must be an instinct, as he sure doesn't have anything
to sharpen.

:
: alt.tv.frasier FAQ: http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/
:

Old May 8th 04, 07:31 PM
Sherry

I am very careful to keep the "girls" claws closely clipped (no piece'a cake
w/Sylvie, the Hemingway tux, all those toes) but still once in awhile Maluce
will have a go @ that tough saddle-quality leather couch in here....and
Rowdy, declawed in front, regularly goes to town "clawing" @ a woven-rattan
occasional chair. It must be an instinct, as he sure doesn't have anything
to sharpen.

I read once that cats "sharpen their claws" because it stretches the whole body
and it feels good to them. It's relaxing and they enjoy it. I have to take this
opportunity to brag on my four though. They are *very good* not to scratch the
furniture.