Kitten Update!

Old December 3rd 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Kitten Update!

Little Bella has now been here one week and one day, and she is very happy,
energetic, and affectionate. When we brought her home she had one eye that
looked a little crusty, and that predictably blossomed into full-blown
herpes in both eyes and the sneezing (URI) that goes along with it.
Remembering what has been said here, and my last shelter cat, we got 500 mg
capsules of L Lysine last Friday and began giving her half of one twice a
day. Yesterday she woke up and could not even open one eye, and cried when
she tried, so I thought it was not helping. But today she woke up pretty
clear, just some crustiness around her eyes. We have been bathing her eye
area very gently with soft toilet paper soaked in cool water--just holding
her little head up and squeezing water from the tissue onto her closed eyes
a few times, then when the stuff is very soft wiping it away. She is very
patient and good. On a kitten this tiny I would not recommend trying to
remove the eye gunk without softening it.

The only other problem is, she has a little lump at her incision area, it
was larger and soft, is now smaller with a very hard, tiny pebble like thing
in it. It does not look infected and she never paws at it or grooms it as
though it hurts her. Nevertheless, she goes for her first vet visit Monday.

Still have not gotten good photos of her, but will put up what I have soon
as I can. She is a total doll. I love having a kitten. Gracie is tolerant
but whiny.

Old December 3rd 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty Jo

I've always bathed crusty baby eyes with warm milk. Believe it or not,
it works great. As for that incision, is it from spaying? If so, the
lump is normal & it'll go away by itself. So happy for you! Enjoy that
little girl. They grow up so fast..pj

Old December 3rd 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Patty Jo" wrote in message
I've always bathed crusty baby eyes with warm milk. Believe it or not,
it works great. As for that incision, is it from spaying? If so, the
lump is normal & it'll go away by itself. So happy for you! Enjoy that
little girl. They grow up so fast..pj

Patty Jo, very helpful, thank you so much, I will try the warm milk. The
lump is from her spay incision--it really is normal? It's a very hard though
very small lump within a pea-sized softer one.

Old December 4th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"cybercat" wrote in message
[...]

The world will pay you back for being nice to shelter cats.

Old December 4th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty Jo

Default Kitten Update! (Cybercat)

Yep, I wouldn't worry about the lump. And she'll enjoy the warm milk
eye bath better than cold water...pj

Old December 5th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try using
cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

Old December 5th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try using
cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.

Old December 5th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try using
cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.

Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much, small
blood vessels can break.

Old December 6th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try
using cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.

Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much,
small blood vessels can break.

I am really glad you told me that. That would have freaked me out. She seems
much better today, woke up with less crusty eyes and not sneezing so much.
So now she has even more energy. She is waging war with dust motes now,
leaping into the air and falling on her head every now and then.

Old December 6th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message
Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try
using cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.

Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much,
small blood vessels can break.

I am really glad you told me that. That would have freaked me out. She seems
much better today, woke up with less crusty eyes and not sneezing so much.
So now she has even more energy. She is waging war with dust motes now,
leaping into the air and falling on her head every now and then.

Perhaps the dust motes make her sneeze??? MLB

Kitten update Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 7 August 21st 08 03:53 AM
kitten update Stormmee Cat anecdotes 5 December 31st 07 05:51 PM
Another Kitten Update Lady J USA Cat health & behaviour 3 January 7th 07 03:39 AM
Kitten Update Lady J USA Cat health & behaviour 9 December 28th 06 04:04 PM
Kitten update Marina Cat anecdotes 32 May 8th 04 10:44 AM