Suspected broken tail

Old May 12th 05, 07:51 PM
Damian Fletcher via CatKB.com

Default Suspected broken tail

Hi I would really appreciate any advice.

My cat Missy came in the house Tuesday evening and we noticed she had a
small cut under her eye. We cleaned this up and thought she must have been
in a minor scrape with another cat. Last night she fell asleep at the foot
of our bed (fairly unusual) and she stayed there all night (unheard of).
She looked a little sad this morning as we left for work and her tail was
down as if she was upset. Whwn we got in from work tonight we noticed that
she was struggling to sit down. On inspection her tail has a lump about 2/3
from the base and it is causing her discomfort. She can't bare it being
touched. Do you think the tail could be broken, or maybe its dislocated. I
am not a very experienced cat owner so any advice would be appreciated,
before we take her vets in the morning.

Many thanks in advance!!

Damian
Old May 12th 05, 08:38 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

My cat Missy came in the house Tuesday evening and we noticed she had a
small cut under her eye. We cleaned this up and thought she must have been
in a minor scrape with another cat. Last night she fell asleep at the foot
of our bed (fairly unusual) and she stayed there all night (unheard of).
She looked a little sad this morning as we left for work and her tail was
down as if she was upset. Whwn we got in from work tonight we noticed that
she was struggling to sit down. On inspection her tail has a lump about 2/3
from the base and it is causing her discomfort. She can't bare it being
touched. Do you think the tail could be broken, or maybe its dislocated. I
am not a very experienced cat owner so any advice would be appreciated,
before we take her vets in the morning.

Definitely take her, as this is most likely exactly what it is. A broken
tail.
Long story short, my old guy, Tom (RIP, dude), got the end of his tail
crushed in the door and didn't tell any of us for days. We knew about it when
the tip started falling off. The vet needed to amputate the end of it.

Cats are quiet about pain. Call up and make an appointment for as soon as you
can, just in case. The sooner you get it, there's a chance the tail can be
saved. Often it needs amputated, though.

Purrs to your girl.

~kaeli~
Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in
the end.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old May 13th 05, 12:02 AM
Wendy

"Damian Fletcher via CatKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

If it's not a broken tail it could be an abscess. Either way a vet visit is
in order.

Old May 13th 05, 02:24 AM
William Hamblen

On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:51:16 GMT, "Damian Fletcher via CatKB.com"
wrote:

she was struggling to sit down. On inspection her tail has a lump about 2/3
from the base and it is causing her discomfort.

Possibly an abcess from a cat bite. They develop quickly.

I found the tip of my cat's tail. Tee Cat health & behaviour 5 February 8th 05 09:15 PM
The Terrible Tail O J Cat anecdotes 9 August 9th 04 03:19 PM
Unusual Tail Swishing CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 30 July 1st 04 09:36 AM
The Terrible Tail Marina Cat anecdotes 25 May 15th 04 08:26 PM
Another cat tail Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 15 September 26th 03 08:16 PM