Cat chewing on computer cables and power cords

Old May 5th 05, 02:08 PM
Lesley

How about one of those handheld CO2 bottle powered air horns? LOL

Not funny....our neighbours would complain!

We had the problem with cable chewing when they were kittens but we
taped everything we could down before they arrived so it was only at a
couple of points where they could get their teeth in the cable and
those tended to be places like near the plug, which we could see and
stop them. They don't do it now but we still have cables taped down

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 5th 05, 02:13 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:
walked around and there was KitKat chewing on the monitor cable.

Not
sure what to do.

roll up a single leaf of newspaper...and give a cat size
spanking...one tap...and the cat is out of there...

chewing on his life?..an electrical chord? maybe youi could get 2
taps in before he gets away.

How about one of those handheld CO2 bottle powered air horns? LOL

ha! (maybe they make one that barks like a big dog)

------------
in another previous thought; about a little tough love / concerning
people.

You can never know what it is to make love till you've seen your
partner angry.

There's a song, "Without love, I'd have no anger"

Old May 5th 05, 04:43 PM
Philip

Lesley wrote:
How about one of those handheld CO2 bottle powered air horns? LOL

Not funny....our neighbours would complain!

Are you neighbors chewing on things too?

We had the problem with cable chewing when they were kittens but we
taped everything we could down before they arrived so it was only at a
couple of points where they could get their teeth in the cable and
those tended to be places like near the plug, which we could see and
stop them. They don't do it now but we still have cables taped down

Lesley

Maybe a few coiled up computer cords strewn about the house would be
acceptable chew toys? LOL

Old May 5th 05, 04:43 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:
walked around and there was KitKat chewing on the monitor cable.
Not sure what to do.

roll up a single leaf of newspaper...and give a cat size
spanking...one tap...and the cat is out of there...

chewing on his life?..an electrical chord? maybe youi could get 2
taps in before he gets away.

How about one of those handheld CO2 bottle powered air horns? LOL

ha! (maybe they make one that barks like a big dog)

Now that you mention it, how about just compressed air and a nozzle? Makes a
LOUD "Hiss" sound too! Hey, you may be onto sumthin' !!

Old May 5th 05, 05:09 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:

Now that you mention it, how about just compressed air and a nozzle?

Makes a
LOUD "Hiss" sound too! Hey, you may be onto sumthin' !!

i like the dog in a can myself...

baru roo roo
baru roo roo

comes in full bark, or just growling.

Old May 6th 05, 12:51 AM
elocs

I had a cat with chewing problems. She chewed on power cables,
including a space heater, that I do not know how she was not
electrocuted. Her teeth were fine and I tried the bitter apple and it
didn't work for me. Finally, she chewed up a leather recliner, ripping
the end off the handle. I have had dogs that were not as destructive as
this cat.

This destructive chewing nearly always happened while I was at work and
so I came to the realization that this cat needed more attention than I
could give her and so I had to find her a new home.
She was a beautiful and friendly cat otherwise who followed me home
while I was out for a walk. She walked along beside me without any
acknowledgement or encouragement from me. I kept her that one night and
then returned her where I had found her. Two days later when I was
walking near the same place she left a man who was petting her near a
warehouse and ran to me. So it was hard to part with her and I still
feel a sense of failure about it, but I think it was for the best.

Old May 6th 05, 05:57 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:

Maybe a few coiled up computer cords strewn about the house would be
acceptable chew toys? LOL

Fight fire with fire uh?, but that could end up like russian roulette.

Old May 6th 05, 06:26 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:

Maybe a few coiled up computer cords strewn about the house would be
acceptable chew toys? LOL

Fight fire with fire uh?, but that could end up like russian roulette.

With more targets, you're improving the odds of the "in service" computer
cables being left un/less chewed. no? Making a negative association with
cord chewing is an option. (evil laugh)

Old May 6th 05, 07:53 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:

With more targets, you're improving the odds of the "in service"

computer
cables being left un/less chewed. no? Making a negative

association with
cord chewing is an option. (evil laugh)

(This is not for you Phil, we're just carousing here, but maybe it
might help someone)

I had the exact same problem, Ruprecht loved to get under my studio
equipment and tug and chew and swing etc...a mess of chords under
there...I told him no a few times, you know, run him outta there...but
I knew I had to catch him very red handed.

I broke him on the first go-round. done. you know. He coulda got
killed, n n n aaand burnt the house down.

I know I keep saying it, and I've only had to discipline him 2wice,
where action was needed. The time above, and the time he tried to pull
rank on me by slicing my ear lobe, he did slice the lobe, hot blood was
running all down my neck.
(cats are fast)

I took action, not words, and he has never repeated either. bitter
apple my buttox... I got da bitter apple, it's black and white and red
all over. It's straight forward to the point, non-confusing, and
instantly engrains the message. No means No. Especially with the
potential of killing himself. Or starting a fire.

But my cat won't love me no more

My cat acts like he's crazy about me; he greets me at the door when I
come home, this morning, would you believe he was kneeding my feet?
through the covers? it's what woke me up. sooo, straighfoward
discipline is not a tyrants tool, it is man teaching an animal about
the world we live in. They look to us for protection, we must lead
them, not confuse them. If you say no, and you don't follow through,
then no is just a sound, not a word to them.

Old May 7th 05, 01:51 AM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:

[...]

Your socialization concept is one that is foreign to the toxically
compassionate owner. I believe socializing a cat to your home from the
beginning results in a happier cat in the long run. Otherwise what to you
have? An unhappy human chasing around cleaning up transgressions and
screaming. The inmate running the asylum.