Cat started pooping on the floor

Old January 16th 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Deuteros

Default Cat started pooping on the floor

I have a 7 year old male cat. He's had no behavior problems since
we've had him but about two or three weeks ago he started pooping on
the floor in random places. It doesn't seem like he does this every
time he has to go and he is still peeing in the box (as far as I can
tell). Other than that his behavior seems normal.

The only thing I can think it might be is we recently switched his
food to another brand around the same time he started doing this.
Could this cause him to do this? If this is the problem should we
switch back to his old food or has he been too long since he started
eating the new food?
Old January 16th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The Boca Deb

On Jan 16, 12:49*pm, Deuteros wrote:
I have a 7 year old male cat. He's had no behavior problems since
we've had him but about two or three weeks ago he started pooping on
the floor in random places. It doesn't seem like he does this every
time he has to go and he is still peeing in the box (as far as I can
tell). Other than that his behavior seems normal.

The only thing I can think it might be is we recently switched his
food to another brand around the same time he started doing this.
Could this cause him to do this? If this is the problem should we
switch back to his old food or has he been too long since he started
eating the new food?

Meanwhile, until you can get your cat to the vet, try giving him a
second litter box. See what happens and post back to us.

Debby Hanoka
aka The Boca Deb
the dot boca dot deb at gmail dot com
Old January 16th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cybercat

"Deuteros" wrote in message
I have a 7 year old male cat. He's had no behavior problems since
we've had him but about two or three weeks ago he started pooping on
the floor in random places.

Be sure you are keeping his box clean enough. This is the simplest solution.
How clean is "clean enough?" He will let you know.

Old January 16th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rene S.

I echo what Debbie and cybercat said:

1. How often do you scoop the litter box? Minimum, it should be
scooped daily or twice a day if possible. Also, periodically, all of
the litter should be replaced and the box cleaned.
2. How many boxes do you have? Try adding one or two boxes in new
locations. Some cats like to urinate in one box and defecate in
another.
3. Have you changed brands of litter recently?
4. Do you use a scented litter? Some cats (and humans like me!) hate
perfumed litter. I buy only unscented.
5. Take him to the vet. There might be a medical problem.
Old January 16th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Deuteros wrote:
I have a 7 year old male cat. He's had no behavior problems since
we've had him but about two or three weeks ago he started pooping on
the floor in random places. It doesn't seem like he does this every
time he has to go and he is still peeing in the box (as far as I can
tell). Other than that his behavior seems normal.

The only thing I can think it might be is we recently switched his
food to another brand around the same time he started doing this.
Could this cause him to do this? If this is the problem should we
switch back to his old food or has he been too long since he started
eating the new food?

Hove you changed your brand or type of litter? Sometimes cats take a
dislike to something that doesn't smell or feel familiar. (I think
"Yesterday's News" has changed since the time I tried it, but neither
the cats nor I cared for the smell - like old newsprint - and they
probably disliked the texture, too.)
Old January 16th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article
,
Deuteros wrote:

The only thing I can think it might be is we recently switched his
food to another brand around the same time he started doing this.
Could this cause him to do this? If this is the problem should we
switch back to his old food or has he been too long since he started
eating the new food?

The simplest way to find out is to change the food back and see. If
that doesn't work (and you should know within forty-eight hours at
most), take him to the vet.

Leila does that when I give her canned food (any brand), but not when I
give her nothing but kibbles. And yes, I went back to the kibbles
before going into a panic: since that worked, she was not forced into a
visit she hates.

snip

Baird

--
Bumper sticker: "If you can't operate your turn signal,
what makes you think you can drive the rest of the car?"
Old January 16th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike[_4_]

Are the stools dry and hard? If so, pooping could be painful to him and
this behavior could result. We had this situation and our vet prescribed
a (human) stool softener.

Old January 16th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LauraM[_2_]

On Jan 16, 9:49*am, Deuteros wrote:
I have a 7 year old male cat. He's had no behavior problems since
we've had him but about two or three weeks ago he started pooping on
the floor in random places. It doesn't seem like he does this every
time he has to go and he is still peeing in the box (as far as I can
tell). Other than that his behavior seems normal.

The only thing I can think it might be is we recently switched his
food to another brand around the same time he started doing this.
Could this cause him to do this? If this is the problem should we
switch back to his old food or has he been too long since he started
eating the new food?

After going through what I've been through with my cat, I would
suggest not changing his food unless you gradually make the change.
And before that, I'd check with my vet first.

In my opinion, there's so much info out on the internet with varying
opinions that you kind of have to be careful about what you implement
based on your reading.

Old January 17th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Mike wrote:
Are the stools dry and hard? If so, pooping could be painful to him and
this behavior could result. We had this situation and our vet
prescribed a (human) stool softener.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:49:13 -0500, Deuteros wrote:

I have a 7 year old male cat. He's had no behavior problems since
we've had him but about two or three weeks ago he started pooping on
the floor in random places. It doesn't seem like he does this every
time he has to go and he is still peeing in the box (as far as I can
tell). Other than that his behavior seems normal.

The only thing I can think it might be is we recently switched his
food to another brand around the same time he started doing this.
Could this cause him to do this? If this is the problem should we
switch back to his old food or has he been too long since he started
eating the new food?

Asked and answered! MLB