Help My Cat Box smells

Old June 13th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Help My Cat Box smells

In article ,
cybercat wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
In article , MLB
wrote:
Netmask wrote:
bierma wrote:
I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
Help my puddy lol

My (late) Burmese boys were human toilet trained on the second loo near
the back door - no smells, passing humans had the duty to push the flush
button. Never could get the cats to do that g

I read a story about a cat that was "fixated"m on flushing the toilet.
He really ran the water bill up because he spent so much time flushing
and watching the water go down. MLB

Time to repost the Wisdom of Mingus...

http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/Mingus/cat_training.html

You're insane.

How so?
Old June 13th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:11:14 -0700 (PDT) from bierma
:

I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
Help my puddy lol

What liter are you using? I use Arm & Hammer scoopable, and I scoop
it out religiously every day. (Don't use Multi-cat: it's perfumed.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old June 15th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:11:14 -0700 (PDT), bierma
wrote:

I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
Help my puddy lol

Many fine suggestions already, but the food is also important. When I
fed the cats crappy food, like 9-Lives or Friskees or some supermarket
brand (cheap), the box gets full quickly and stinks. When using a
quality food (Proplan, Wellness, etc) there is less output and it
doesn't really smell much.

Contrary to what most people recommend (1 litter box for each cat plus
1 extra), all three of my cats use one litterbox. I never have a
problem. Use good quality food.
Old June 17th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

Many fine suggestions already, but the food is also important. When I
fed the cats crappy food, like 9-Lives or Friskees or some supermarket
brand (cheap), the box gets full quickly and stinks. When using a
quality food (Proplan, Wellness, etc) there is less output and it
doesn't really smell much.

YES, food can make a big difference. "Garbage in, garbage out."

What kind of litter box do you have? Covered boxes, for instance, tend
to trap odors more, especially if the cat urinates and it seeps
inbetween the two pieces of the box (ask me how I know. . .) I have to
clean the one covered box we have more often because of this.

Scoop often, twice a day is good, and wash out the box regularly. I
use either Oxiclean or baking soda to clean the box out.