Tweed.....

Old August 17th 12, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Tweed.....

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking just about spelling. I guess
you're
right that a lot of the same spellings are used in Britain and
Australia,
where it differs in the USA. But the languages have diverged in other
ways, don't you think? Different idioms and so on?

That is definitely true. Aussies generally use the British spelling.
Their
idioms and their place names, are a mixture of English terms and
uniquely
Australian terms, with a smattering of Aboriginal terminology and even a
few
Americanisms thrown in.

Joy (An American who will be visiting Australia for the sixth time in
October)

Hooray! You must be getting excited.

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.

Yes, I am. It is especially exciting because my kids (son, daughter and
son-in-law) are going too. I had actually run out of travel money, but
they're taking me. It has been my dream to show them some of the things I
love about Australia, so I'm in seventh heaven.

Joy

Old August 17th 12, 12:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:22:03 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
"pat Chlebowski" wrote in message ... How is the wall problem coming????

Last week they employed someone to rebuild the original wooden fence in the proper position between our houses. It does leave a bit of their wall (at the back of their property) poking out into my garden by a foot or so but whether it is worth me spending a lot of money on lawyers to force them to take it down back to what think is my boundary and they dispute I haven't decided yet. I think they gave up. They really did think they could get the better of me as they moved in next door when I had a broken leg. They saw me as disabled and an easy target. They had bad luck there.. I might put a trellis on the end of their wall and grow a climbing rose up it. Tweed

You might want to fight that one foot, though. If the wall stays there long enough, doesn't that land eventually become theirs, simply because you didn't fight it?

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old August 17th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:46:04 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

I didn't think you were Chinese, now did I??

What Joyce said: I was merely pointing out the we Americans have a
different spelling for that word than you do.

So, in order to sling more Americanisms at you: Take a Chill Pill,
woman!

I am very well aware of the different spellings you have. Too aware. I
think I know them all.
When I was a child at school, the teachers actually punished us if we
accidentally wrote American spellings or said American phrases. I'm
not
sure why, it wasn't exactly the crime of the century, was it? This was
also
reinforced at home. (why?)
It's still stayed with me.

My guess is that they were trying to install national pride in the true
English language to the schoolchildren.

I've never got away from English is English. A language evolves in
it's
own true country.
English has evolved in America differently. It's American.

Do you say the same about Australian English? If so, I've never heard you
say it here. If not, why not? What's the difference? Australian English
has
evolved differently, too.

You must ask Yowie about whether Australian English has differed in spelling
like American English has. My guess is not.
All Australians and NZ on here have good English spelling.

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking just about spelling. I guess you're
right that a lot of the same spellings are used in Britain and Australia,
where it differs in the USA. But the languages have diverged in other ways,
don't you think? Different idioms and so on?

It varies tremendously from region to region in the US. And when I
visited England a while back, I had no problem with understanding most
folks but I could barely understand a word out of some kids on a bus
who were definitely speaking English. Language is funny.

I would have expected the language to start to centralize since all of
the US has the same cable TV and such, but apparently not.
Old August 17th 12, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

Joy (An American who will be visiting Australia for the sixth time in
October)

Hooray! You must be getting excited.

Yes, I am. It is especially exciting because my kids (son, daughter and
son-in-law) are going too. I had actually run out of travel money, but
they're taking me. It has been my dream to show them some of the things I
love about Australia, so I'm in seventh heaven.

I thought I remembered you saying that you've done all the traveling you
were going to do, and I remember thinking that was sad because I know much
you enjoy going to Australia. It's great that your kids, et al, will be
going with you - now you can play tour guide.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker
Old August 17th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Bastette
wrote:
MaryL wrote:

Both "#" and "No." are used as abbreviations for "number" in the U.S.
I think "No." is more common, and "#" is also used for "pound" (as a
unit of measure, not currency). I'm not sure why Tweed seems so
annoyed at the way the English language has evolved in the U.S. and
other countries. Even in England, there are a variety of accents
(and sometime spellings) in different regions. Certainly, no one
should try to teach English to Tweed. As she said, she *is* English.

I wouldn't try to teach English to Tweed because she doesn't like it. If
I know this about her and I do it anyway, then who's being a jerk?

On the other hand, there are plenty of English speakers who could use a
few lessons. I can't think of any Brits who fall into that category,
though, and I can think of lots of Americans who do. But I don't think
that's because British English is the only right way to speak or write
English. It's because their educational system is far superior to ours.
If I were to correct an American's language, it wouldn't be to get them
to speak more like the British - it would be to help them speak/write
more *coherently*.

It's especially true for people who are a lot younger than I am. I'm
appalled by how poorly kids are taught basic language skills - spelling
and grammar, for example. My education was a lot better, and I didn't go
to a fancy school, just public school in an ordinary, lower middle class
town. The difference is, I grew up in the 1960s, and they were still
teaching decent skills back then. I'm not blaming the teachers, though.
Most of them try really hard to make do with very little.

OK, now I sound like every aging crank who has ever complained about
"how bad things have gotten since I was young."

I'm with you. I was born in 1954 and had a very good education in the
local council school system.

When I see what the younger people write, either at work or at home, I'm
apalled. Some of the 17 year olds from work have standards that I would
have been criticised for at aged ten. I don't get it. They don't seem to
be able to think things out either.

Please excuse any mistakes I'm old and tired.

Judith

From my experience it's the people in their thirties that seem the worse
for grammar and punctuation.
--
Adrian
Old August 17th 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

The mistakes that bother me the most are the use of SEEN where SAW would
be correct and the incorrect use of THERE, THEIR, and THEY'RE.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 17th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

------
Yes, in theory. It's six inches (ish) wide and a foot long. It will cost
me a load of money to fight them legally and I am still considering whether
it would be worth the money.
The problem is that apparently they measured their plot out according to
their deeds and the boundaries drifted over the years. The law says if you
have occupied land for more than 12 years, it is yours and the previous
occupants of my house perhaps put their fence a few inches too far. So as
I've been here for 25 years, it's mine, this did not become clear until
recently. Having a court case "it says this on my deeds" versus "it's been
mine for x.." would probably not be a good idea for the tiny amount of
ground it takes up.
Besides, I have a hammer ;-) Tap, tap, tap.

Tweed

Old August 17th 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Jane" wrote in message

[...]

Just be sure to hide the results of your tapping under a vine of some sort.

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old August 17th 12, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Joy (An American who will be visiting Australia for the sixth time in
October)

Hooray! You must be getting excited.

Yes, I am. It is especially exciting because my kids (son, daughter and
son-in-law) are going too. I had actually run out of travel money, but
they're taking me. It has been my dream to show them some of the things
love about Australia, so I'm in seventh heaven.

I thought I remembered you saying that you've done all the traveling you
were going to do, and I remember thinking that was sad because I know much
you enjoy going to Australia. It's great that your kids, et al, will be
going with you - now you can play tour guide.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker

Yes, I'm really going to enjoy that.

--
Joy

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
- Groucho Marx

P.S. Love your sig line.

Old August 18th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

Bastette wrote:

OK, now I sound like every aging crank who has ever complained about
"how bad things have gotten since I was young."

I'm with you. I was born in 1954 and had a very good education in the
local council school system.

1954 babies rule!

When I see what the younger people write, either at work or at home, I'm
apalled. Some of the 17 year olds from work have standards that I would
have been criticised for at aged ten. I don't get it. They don't seem to
be able to think things out either.

Hmm, so maybe it's not just an American problem after all.

Please excuse any mistakes I'm old and tired.

Hey, you're not *that* old. Because if you are, so am I, and I'm not
accepting that label quite yet.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander

Tweed pat Chlebowski Cat anecdotes 2 June 22nd 12 01:25 AM
For Tweed Karen Cat anecdotes 10 January 6th 09 07:27 PM
For Tweed and Rob Marina Cat anecdotes 3 February 15th 07 11:48 AM
Tweed! Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 1 December 18th 05 05:20 AM
Tweed has had her op Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 12 May 18th 05 04:29 AM