Ernie got mad at me...

Old September 12th 12, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default Ernie got mad at me...

Ernie, a big boy at 18~ lbs, sometimes has troubles grooming his back
half properly - I'm not talking the nether regions (those he can do fine
- I've checked, or else he's conned another one of the cats to do *that*
for him), but his back & flanks will get a bit matted at certain times
of the year (those being spring & fall). And he's a short-hair!

So I was doing my Meowmy's duty & brushing him, getting most of those
knots... the closer I got to the backs of his thighs, the less he liked
it. Well, after about 15 minutes (and 2 (4 un-crushed) handfuls of
loose fur removed) he got really mad, nipped at me (I felt his teeth,
but they didn't break the skin) and then swatted me - HARD. One claw
dug in between the middle and ring fingers of my right hand. And it
bled - *a* *lot*.... and then swelled up. I washed in hot water & let
it bleed for about another 5 minutes, scrubbed with soap and then
applied antiseptic & pressure to stop the bleeding. Swelling is down,
but now I have a bruised hand - with a nice tiny puncture between the
fingers - looks like a one-fanged vampire got me

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old September 12th 12, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 9/12/2012 10:58 AM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

It took him 5 minutes of playing with a paper bag left on the floor to
forgive me. It was a smaller one (about half the size of a normal
grocery sack), and he was trying to fit his hugeness into it (he
failed). I will try to get the rest of the mats off him this weekend.

Old September 12th 12, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Holly is now 17 years old and is remarkably active and agile for her age.
She does not have any trouble grooming her flanks, but I did notice some
time ago that the region on her back right in front of her tail was getting
somewhat matted and filled with debris (dandruff). The vet gave me a
plastic *flea comb* to use. It is two-sided with tines close together, but
the two sides slightly different. I occasionally use that to *slowly and
carefully* comb through that area. It works much better than a brush, and
it's remarkable how much I can get out with that. It might help to try that
with Ernie. Holly has very "plush" fur--more than a short-hair but
definitely not as much as a long-hair.

MaryL

Old September 12th 12, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 9/12/2012 11:23 AM, MaryL wrote:

[...]

I said that I "brushed" him, but I was in reality using a comb - not a
flea comb though, but a "human" hair comb. Those work fairly well on
short haired cats. Ernie loved the attention until I started getting
the knots. I did Ping later in the evening (though he really doesn't
need it) and he loved the attention (even rolled over and let be comb
his belly - and threw in a few bunny kicks) - and even felt much softer
afterwords, though I got a fraction of the fur off of him than I did on
Ernie.

Old September 15th 12, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Some people think only longhairs get matted, but shorthairs can too.
Usually because they are old and cannot bend round to do it through
arthritis. Ernie is not that old, have you any idea why he cannot groom
himself?
Sorry about your hand.

Tweed