Why Do Cats Massage Stuff

Old April 18th 05, 07:02 AM

Default Why Do Cats Massage Stuff

Why Do Cats Massage Stuff like blankets and clothes and other soft
things?

Old April 18th 05, 07:11 AM
-L.

Why Do Cats Massage Stuff like blankets and clothes and other soft
things?

That's called "kneading" or "making biscuits". It's comforting.
It's the same behavior they do when they nurse on their mother, to
stimulate/express the milk. Some cats will even suck on the fabric
when they knead.

-L.

Old April 18th 05, 07:33 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why Do Cats Massage Stuff like blankets and clothes and other soft
things?

It makes them feel good, like they did when they were kittens kneading their
mom's tummies while they nursed.

Old April 18th 05, 07:46 AM

That's called "kneading" or "making biscuits". It's comforting.
It's the same behavior they do when they nurse on their mother, to
stimulate/express the milk. Some cats will even suck on the fabric
when they knead.

Tango comes to bed EVERY MORNING around 4am, and does the same thing to my
girlfriends nightdress. If she tries to stop him, he will sit and lick her
face, pay her hair and gently bite. Once he is in position, he basically
kneads her top and sucks the cloth for sometimes 3 or 4 hours, the whole
time PURRING like a motorbike. The only way Claire can some rest post 4am
is to, erm...remove the nightdress and give it to Tango!

Im not complaining...

G.

Old April 18th 05, 07:48 AM
Mary

"G" wrote in message
k...
That's called "kneading" or "making biscuits". It's comforting.
It's the same behavior they do when they nurse on their mother, to
stimulate/express the milk. Some cats will even suck on the fabric
when they knead.

Tango comes to bed EVERY MORNING around 4am, and does the same thing to my
girlfriends nightdress. If she tries to stop him, he will sit and lick

her
face, pay her hair and gently bite. Once he is in position, he basically
kneads her top and sucks the cloth for sometimes 3 or 4 hours, the whole
time PURRING like a motorbike. The only way Claire can some rest post 4am
is to, erm...remove the nightdress and give it to Tango!

Im not complaining...

G.

Claire is clearly loved by two males!

Old April 18th 05, 07:12 PM
Mathew Kagis

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why Do Cats Massage Stuff like blankets and clothes and other soft
things?

What? You mean like my arm, neck & upper chest? Chablis does this all the
time. I have to put on my fleece bath robe so she can go to town & I don't
end up a bloody mess. As others have mentioned, it's a throwback to nursing
behavior. I've been told that it's often more prominent in cats that were
separated from their mothers too early.

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 18th 05, 08:49 PM
RobZip

I've been told that it's often more prominent in cats that were
separated from their mothers too early.

That may be true for some, however I have two 9 month old males whose mother
still resides here. Mom put and end to nursing according to her schedule.
One of them kneads quite a bit, the other one does it rarely.

Old April 19th 05, 03:08 AM
Angela St.Aubin

This thread just reminded me of something..
When I was telling my mom about my cat Rusty (that used to live with her)
and how he goes nuts sitting on me, right up in my face when I lay down, and
kneading me with this goofy look in his eyes, she said "aww, he's petting
you, has finally figured out that you are the new love of his life" or
something like that, and I just thought it was a neat way to think of it.