Must give up cat in maryland

Old December 15th 05, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default Must give up cat in maryland

I have a cat with a behavioral problem. She will not use her litter box
no matter how often I clean it, and is peeing all over rugs, furniture,
etc.

Are there any organizations in Maryland that will take problem cats? I
do not want to put her down, but she is destroying my house.

Thanks in advance

Old December 15th 05, 10:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Hi Java,

Is this a new issue with this cat? Have you had her checked by a vet
for urinary problems/diabetes, etc? Have there been any recent changes
in the household (new member, new furniture, illness, stress, etc.)?
There is a product called Feliway that can help with urinary issues
such as this, and also assists w/addition of new kitties. You can do a
Google search for sites that sell it online, or I've heard it's
available at Petco/Petsmart. I was having silimar problems when I lost
one cat and added another, but Feliway helped (I even saw an ad for it
to the right of your post). Also, I recently added another cat, and
had to borrow a large cat condo to keep her in from a local cat
sanctuary ($150 deposit). It's about 48"/32"/22" and I used it to
separate the new cat, since I don't have an extra room to keep her in.
If you feel that you absolutely MUST give the cat away, please do a
Google search for no-kill shelters in your area and contact one. Hope
this helps.

Lisa

Old December 15th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Ditto on urine testing. I had a big old orange tomcat who sprayed for years
even after I had him neutered. When I finally got him tested his urine ph
was way off so he's on 250 a day of vitamin C and behaving very much
better.

ron

ups.com...

Old December 15th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

I'm taking her to the vet today and we'll see what the tests are. She's
been doing this forever, unfortunately. Both 1 and 2.

Old December 29th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

My vet has told me that if the cat associates pain with a litterbox, it
will be avoided. If the cat has an infection or a stone causing pain
with voiding, or constipation or blockage causing pain with defecation,
the cat will try any new place in hopes of not being hurt while
depositing.

A good lay veterinary resource on the web: www.veterinarypartners.org

BJM