how is AOL like your Cable Company???!!!

Old January 28th 05, 02:29 AM
Foxsrus1

Default how is AOL like your Cable Company???!!!

Google News

Sort by relevance* *Sorted by date* *
AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
BizReport*- 6 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
KFMB,*CA*- 7 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
AOL to drop direct Usenet access
Globetechnology.com,*Canada*- 9 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
Washington Post,*DC*- 13 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
India Business, AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
Keralanext,*India*- 15 hours ago
Dropping Usenet will let AOL focus more on more popular community features such
as message boards, chat rooms and online journals, said AOL spokeswoman Jay ...

AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
The Porterville Recorder,*CA*- 15 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
Durant Daily Democrat,*OK*- 15 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
AOL shutting down newsgroups
ZDNetIndia,*India*- 19 hours ago
.... Usenet newsgroups were once a primary destination for Internet users to
chat about interests ... early days of the Internet before the Web took off,
AOL and other ...
AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
San Jose Mercury News (subscription),*CA*- 21 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...
AOL to Drop Direct Usenet Access
Rapid City Journal,*SD*- 22 hours ago
.... AOL users still would be able to access Usenet groups from other providers,
including Google Inc., which packages the newsgroups for free as "Google
Groups.". ...

**New! Get the latest news on AOL Usenet newsgroups with Google Alerts.
Old January 28th 05, 03:42 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 27 Jan 2005 09:29:50p, Foxsrus1 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

Ok, see all that repeating is just lame. I have a question for
AOLers (or someone who knows): Does AOL give you their SMTP gateway
address? Because even if you can access a newsreader and *get* news
feed from other sources, it doesn't help if you can't *send*. Even
3rd party providers require (at least mine do!) that you have your
own SMTP gateway to send through.

--
Cheryl
Old January 28th 05, 05:49 PM
Mary

"PawsForThought" wrote I really know nothing
about newsreaders. I did try one with my AOL and
couldn't get it to work. I didn't know I had to have a gateway address

though.
I'm trying Google Groups but really don't like it much. AOHell sucks

Lauren, are you in an area offering cable broadband? Like Time Warner?
I have had it since they introduced it here three years ago, and I think
you'
would like it.

Old January 30th 05, 01:11 AM
Mary

From: "Mary"

Lauren, are you in an area offering cable broadband? Like Time Warner?
I have had it since they introduced it here three years ago, and I think
you'
would like it.

I'm not sure if we have Time Warner, but we do have SBC Yahoo DSL. We

have it
at work and I do love it. Been thinking about getting it for home now

that I
don't really need AOL anymore. Do you mind if I ask how much do you pay?

Not at all! Our cable TV service is $45 per month--high, I think, since we
get no movie channels--and our broadband Internet (Time Warner Roadrunner)
is about another $45, including taxes etc. So the total bill is $90 per
month. This is for two computers on a wireless network. (Meaning that I had
it first, then they hooked my husband up via wireless network connection.)
It was $39.95 (aka $40, lol!) three years ago when I got it. Then there was
a special for hooking up my husband, and somehow now it is $45 for both of
us. THEN the cable company came out with digital telephone--and we signed
up. That service is another $40 per month all taxes included--but here's the
great thing: we get FREE long distance 24 hours, 7 days, to the US and
Canada. Even intra-state is free. So we have NO long distance phone bill.

Right now Time Warner is offering 6 months for $29.95 per month. The upshot:
I was paying $20.00 per month for my ISP plus about $30 for the telephone
line on dial-up. So when I switched to cable I actually saved money for a
connection that is ten times faster. Instant image downloads, etc. I love
it. (No, I don't work for them!)

Old January 30th 05, 09:53 PM
jamie

Cheryl wrote:
Ok, see all that repeating is just lame. I have a question for
AOLers (or someone who knows): Does AOL give you their SMTP gateway
address? Because even if you can access a newsreader and *get* news
feed from other sources, it doesn't help if you can't *send*. Even
3rd party providers require (at least mine do!) that you have your
own SMTP gateway to send through.

SMTP is only used for email replies directly to a user. Posting
messages in a newsgroup uses the NNTP server to which you are
connecting with your newsreader.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old January 31st 05, 12:49 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Mary"

Not at all! Our cable TV service is $45 per month--high, I think, since we
get no movie channels--and our broadband Internet (Time Warner Roadrunner)
is about another $45, including taxes etc. So the total bill is $90 per
month. This is for two computers on a wireless network. (Meaning that I had
it first, then they hooked my husband up via wireless network connection.)
It was $39.95 (aka $40, lol!) three years ago when I got it. Then there was
a special for hooking up my husband, and somehow now it is $45 for both of
us.

We have satellite tv and pay about $45 a month for that. No movie channels but
I had to take the upgraded package so I could get Soapnet (I'm totally addicted
to All My Children

THEN the cable company came out with digital telephone--and we signed
up. That service is another $40 per month all taxes included--but here's the
great thing: we get FREE long distance 24 hours, 7 days, to the US and
Canada. Even intra-state is free. So we have NO long distance phone bill.

I haven't heard of digital telephone. Wow, that's great you get free long
distance.

Right now Time Warner is offering 6 months for $29.95 per month. The upshot:
I was paying $20.00 per month for my ISP plus about $30 for the telephone
line on dial-up. So when I switched to cable I actually saved money for a
connection that is ten times faster. Instant image downloads, etc. I love
it. (No, I don't work for them!)

I'm not sure if they offer cable here, or just the DSL. We have the dsl at
work and I do love it. If I need to download a large file, I download it at
work, then burn it to a cd to take home. But I am going to look into a faster
connection at home and possibly dump the aol. Thanks, Mary!
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm