WARNING !

Old October 5th 03, 03:17 AM
MaryL

Default WARNING !

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Today, I received a very unusual letter, ostensibly from CITIcorp, the
parent of Citibank..

Inside was a nicely done privace notice. But the last page, labelled
"Privacy Choices Form", asks for Citi card account numbers, the card
member name(s), address and phone number.

They tell me that this is a case of fraud, and to definitely not send
in the card numbers (as if I would - grin).

If you receive anything like this in the mail, be sure and notify the
Postmaster, so that they can add it to the ongoing investigation.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

And here's another one (although it would take an incredibly stupid or naive
person to respond to this one). I received e-mail from CarderPortal.Org
just a few days ago. The message claimed that I owed for "money laundry
service." I was supposed to respond by giving my credit card number (duh!)
or, if I thought it was a mistake, I was to click on "no" (another duh! --
because that would simply confirm that it is an active e-mail account).
These things are getting more and more menacing because some people will
probably make the mistake of giving information.

MaryL

Old October 5th 03, 05:27 AM

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

And here's another one (although it would take an incredibly stupid
or naive person to respond to this one). I received e-mail from
CarderPortal.Org just a few days ago. The message claimed that I
owed for "money laundry service."

LOL, "money laundry service". As though anyone would offer money laundering
as a *service*. "Been doing some embezzling lately? Let me tell you about
our great money laundering service that will keep anyone from finding out
what you've been up to!" Sure...

And they don't even call it a money *laundering* service, but a money
*laundry* service, like they're going to wash, dry, and fold your dollar
bills. You really would have to be an idiot to fall for it. It's either
the most moronicly worded scam ever created, or it's a spoof. I hope
for the sake of the human race that it's the latter!

Joyce
Old October 5th 03, 06:57 AM
MaryL

wrote in message
MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

[...]

Well, it gets even better. I didn't go into all the details, but they also
claimed that I need this "money laundry service" (no, not "laundering")
because I am either a "child pornography webmaster" or "deal with dirty
money." I didn't know I had such an interesting life!

MaryL

Old October 5th 03, 07:08 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

And here's another one (although it would take an incredibly stupid or naive
person to respond to this one). I received e-mail from CarderPortal.Org
just a few days ago. The message claimed that I owed for "money laundry
service." I was supposed to respond by giving my credit card number (duh!)
or, if I thought it was a mistake, I was to click on "no" (another duh! --
because that would simply confirm that it is an active e-mail account).
These things are getting more and more menacing because some people will
probably make the mistake of giving information.

And some of them LOOK so official! Some years ago, I filed an official
complaint against an insurance company that was sending out advertising
implying that it was officially linked to Medicare. It was offering
"Medigap" insurance - a kind of supplemental policy that is offered by a
number of insurance companies, and is quite legal. (Also a good idea,
if one can possibly afford it.) However, they made it appear to be an
official government requirement, which it is not.
Old October 5th 03, 10:48 AM
polonca12000

Something similar is happening in Slovenia also. The bank already sent
e-mails about a week ago warning us not to give out information.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Today, I received a very unusual letter, ostensibly from CITIcorp, the
parent of Citibank.

snip

Old October 5th 03, 08:29 PM
Annie Wxill

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" "evgmsop-no wrote in
message ...
.... Considering the apparent success of the "Nigerian letter", my faith in
the intelligence of the average human being has taken a minor nose dive.

Hi,
Here's a different version from the Nigerian connection. My husband listed
a classic car for sale on a Web site for cars for sale. He received an
email response from a person calling himself Nicholas and claiming that he
has a client interested in buying the car. He requests photos, which Jim
sends. Nicholas says his client wants to buy the car and they agree on a
price. Nicholas says the client will pay for shipping the car to England.
(We are in Texas, U.S.A.) Nicholas says that Jim will receive a cashier's
check for the total of the car plus the shipping. He is to cash the check,
keep the price of the car and send the remainder to an individual with an
African sounding name at a London address.
The check does not arrive when expected and Jim notifies Nicholas, who says
that when Jim receives it, send the money via Western Union because the
shipper is in a hurry to receive it and to make arrangements to pick up the
car.
While waiting for the check, Jim does some research on the Internet and
discovers that this is another Nigerian scam. The check looks real enough
that people are able to cash it. When it finally bounces back from the bank
it is allegedly written on, the victim's local bank demands all the cash
back and the victim is holding the bag.
Finally, Jim gets an email from Nicholas telling him that the check will
arrive that day.
The check arrives.
The sending address is (drum roll) Nigeria.
Jim takes the check to a branch of Bank of America, the U.S. bank it is
drawn on. Sure enough, it is a counterfeit. The bank, however, tells Jim it
will not do anything about it with the authorities because the bank has not
lost any money.
Never mind that some con group is using its name to scam people and causing
them some real economic problems. Never mind that the money may be going to
serve who knows what evil cause.
Jim sees an opportunity for a sting to turn the tables on the crooks.
Authorities can nab a member of this group. Someone will be expecting money
at a Western Union office in England.
Jim calls the Secret Service. The Secret Service person tells him that
they are all escorting an important person around Europe and nobody is
available to nab this crook. Jim wonders if all the authorities in England
are also escorting this important person and nobody is available to arrest
international scam artists.
Jim calls the FBI. The FBI politely tells him to buzz off because they are
busy.
Jim sends an email, anyway, to Nicholas telling him that the money is on
the way as instructed.
Nicholas sends Jim an email thanking him. Nicholas sends another email
requesting Western Union information for the check. Jim does not respond.
Nicholas sends a second email, sounding somewhat desperate. Jim does not
respond.
Two days later, Jim gets an email from "Mandy," who has a client who would
like to buy his car and will pay to ship it to England...

Annie

Old October 5th 03, 11:38 PM

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

they also claimed that I need this "money laundry service" (no, not
"laundering") because I am either a "child pornography webmaster" or
"deal with dirty money."

Oh, well that's it then - your money's dirty, and it needs a laundry
service. Good way to stop the spread of germs, too.

Joyce
Old October 6th 03, 01:21 PM
David Stevenson

MaryL wrote
[...]

Citibank have a warning about this on their UK site.

Paypal - whom I do not trust anyway because of the way they swindled
non-USA residents over the RPCA t-shirts - have sent me requests to
update their information. They say they randomly pick customers. While
they do not ask for PINs they did ask for the security number with the
credit card. I duly ignored them. Actually my anti-spam software
labels stuff from Paypal as spam.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old October 6th 03, 01:24 PM
David Stevenson

Annie Wxill wrote

[...]

Did it occur to Jim that we have the odd law organisation over here as
well? My guess is that the British police will take far more notice of
the possibility of picking up a crook in England than the FBI who do not
work outside the USA, the Secret Service, whose main job is
bodyguarding, or whoever.

re sad warning Jean H Cat anecdotes 2 September 20th 03 01:08 PM
Warning, Very Sad Sherry Cat anecdotes 17 September 18th 03 11:29 AM
OT WARNING Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 4 August 22nd 03 02:34 AM