Cruising cats (long) overnight crossing

Old May 6th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cruising cats (long) overnight crossing

Wednesday, May 3 - Thursday, May 04, 2006

Saul Creek to Carrabelle to Anclote Key, Florida

During this leg of our journey, we covered 207 miles in 26 hours. We changed
time zones from Central to Eastern Daylight Time, then completed this part
of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, which goes offshore at Carrabelle and
resumes at Tarpon Springs, Florida.

We left our anchorage at Saul Creek, Florida about 9:30 a.m. on May 3 and
crossed Apalachicola Bay and St. George sound. As we approached Carrabelle,
NOAA weather radio and satellite weather reports predicted two days of light
wind and calm water for crossing the Big Bend. That was exactly what we
needed. The next opportunity would be after yet another week in a marina.

After some discussion, we canceled the marina reservation and took a right
turn out into the Gulf of Mexico at Carrabelle at about 1:30 p.m. A friend
who was crossing a few hours ahead of us heard our radio conversation with
the marina and said that the water was like glass.

We found ourselves in water with more chop than expected, but not too bad.
NOAA radio and the electronic equipment we had on board told us the waves
were two feet or less with light wind ahead, so we pressed on, expecting
things to settle down, for another 22 hours of rolling from side to side,
pushed by beam seas that made things rattle in the cabinets.

Cinder, who has a tender tummy, suffered a bout of seasickness. Rosie moved
about for hours, trying in vain to find a comfortable resting spot, and
finally settled stoically next to me or in her den the rest of the time. We
had tried so hard to plan this crossing to avoid such a ride because we know
it would be a long trip. All the information we had indicated that this was
our best opportunity for a smooth crossing. This was, indeed,
disheartening.

As the hours dragged by, the sun set and night was upon us. Jim tuned the
satellite radio to a station playing New Orleans type jazz and we took turns
keeping watch while the other person tried to sleep.

As I lay on the dining bench after one of my watches, I thought that if
there is a purgatory, it would be like this, i.e., not as bad as Hell, but
definitely not Heaven. As I drifted to sleep, the radio began to broadcast a
rendition of "When the Saints Come Marching In."

My magical moment came at about midnight. I opted for that watch because I
wanted to see the numbers on the 24-hour clock roll to 0000. Leaning out
the cabin door by the driving station, I scanned the horizon, looking for
lights, dark shapes, or any indication that we might be about to collide
with something , I could see the quarter moon shining and so many stars
twinkling in the dome sky overhead. As Genesis cut through the waves, the
water splashed with fluorescent foam.

As the bewitching hour approached, a dolphin leaped out of the water beside
Genesis. The light from the stars and moon reflected off its body and it
glowed as it dove and glided through the water.

Then, more glowing dolphins approached and slipped under our bow to swim
along with us, or play in the foam alongside.

Genesis seemed to be flying through the water, surrounded by glowing
dolphins. The moon threw a bright swath of light across the dark waves from
the horizon to our boat. It seemed that we were very small and in the
center of the universe.

When Jim took his turn at watch, I told him to look for the dolphins. He
leaned out the door, and a flying fish whizzed by his head and smacked a
window. He saw others, as well as the dolphins, throughout his watch.

The next morning, we found four dead flying fish on our decks. We were
surprised they would be able to fly so high.

That leg of our journey ended at 11:30 a.m., on Thursday, May 4, when we
threaded our way among the crab pots and anchored at Anclote Key, an island
across from the entrance to Tarpon Springs, Florida. The water is so clear
that we can see the bottom.

We will stay another day to recuperate. The cats are fine again, and
graciously have forgiven us.

Old May 6th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Wow, what a trip! Sounds like it started off quite badly but then ended
up kind of magical during the night. I love it when dolphins accompany
boats, soo cool!
What did you do with the 4 dead fish, can you eat flying fish? Hey,
free BBQ! ;-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old May 6th 06, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I really love reading about your trip. It's great to follow the route
thru Mapquest.com and that last leg of the journey you describe here is
quite an achievement. I wish you "unchoppy" waters for the bits of the
trip you speand cruising the Atlantic, and the great lakes too.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old May 6th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Wednesday, May 3 - Thursday, May 04, 2006

Saul Creek to Carrabelle to Anclote Key, Florida

snip

I really enjoy reading about your trip, it must have been wonderful watching
the dolphins. When your journey is finished, you should write a book, I'm
sure it would sell well.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 6th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Great descriptions. Did you fry up the flying fish? They're supposed to be
delish. I love Tarpon Springs. Wonderful Greek food. Its used to be the US
capitol for sponges and still has a large Greek population.
Drooling Suz&Spicey

Old May 6th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
.... What did you do with the 4 dead fish, can you eat flying fish? Hey,
free BBQ! ;-)
Britta

Hi Britta,
The fish were stiff as boards when we found them. I gave them a burial at
sea.

Congratulations on your move. I hope Vino likes his new home.

Annie, crew for Rosie & Cinder

Old May 6th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christine K." wrote in message
I really love reading about your trip. It's great to follow the route thru
Mapquest.com and that last leg of the journey you describe here is quite an
achievement. I wish you "unchoppy" waters for the bits of the trip you
speand cruising the Atlantic, and the great lakes too.
Christine in Vantaa, Finland

Christine,
Thank you.

I'm flattered that you are following us with Mapquest. This is quite an
adventure for us and we are happy to share it with those who want to
vicariously come with us.

And thanks, for the good wishes for smooth seas.

Annie, crew for Rosie & Cinder

Old May 6th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
I really enjoy reading about your trip, it must have been wonderful
watching
the dolphins. When your journey is finished, you should write a book, I'm
sure it would sell well.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)

Several people already have written books about their experience. Of course,
the trip is different for each boater. What you are seeing are the rough
drafts I throw together. When we are finished, I may polish it up and submit
it. At least my grandchild (due in September) will have something to know
about his grandparents.

Annie, crew for Rosie and Cinder

Old May 6th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"SuzQ" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Great descriptions. Did you fry up the flying fish? They're supposed to be
delish. I love Tarpon Springs. Wonderful Greek food. Its used to be the US
capitol for sponges and still has a large Greek population.
Drooling Suz&Spicey

Nope, we did not fry up the flying fish. They were stiff by the time we
went outside and found them on the deck. We still have a smug on a window
where one of them hit and left some scales behind.

We gave them a hurial at sea.

We were pretty fried ourselves, if you know what I mean, by the time we set
the anchor. We pretty much wanted to conck out and recover.

Ufortunately, we did not have time to go into Tarpon Springs.

Annie, crew for Rosie & Cinder

Old May 7th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Annie Wxill wrote:

Genesis seemed to be flying through the water, surrounded by glowing
dolphins. The moon threw a bright swath of light across the dark waves from
the horizon to our boat. It seemed that we were very small and in the
center of the universe.

What an absolutely magical experience... thanks so much for sharing it
with us here.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com