Cat pining for his main squeeze

Old July 31st 05, 04:04 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 30 Jul 2005 10:50:22p, animzmirot wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

I did check for hairs, and didn't see anything, but as I've
said, he's Mr Skittish and I don't think it's worth his
scratching my eyes out over a hair. He hates being held by
anyone other than the main squeeze and that ain't me. I think
I'll try again to wash his nose (man, that was a scene) to see
if there is anything stuck on it. But no snot, no discharge from
the eyes, nothing like that. He's just sneezing a dust-type
sneeze and my house is pretty clean right now, for once!

Bonnie is the same way. I can't hold her, I can't examine her, and
her only examinations are by the vet once a year, or if she seems
ill. I only hope that her sneezing\snorting is from that hair. The
vet and I had a talk about my ill-kept house and dust, and when she
first started it was when I scheduled an appt for the ductwork to
be cleaned. I'd just had the carpets cleaned, and I'm just not that
great about keeping all of the dust out. Who has time? We decided
to wait to see how she seems after the cleaning. I told the
allergist after Shamrock tested positive to dust mites, cat dander,
mold spores, etc, that he needed to find a new place to live. I
think Bonnie does too! Though she doesn't have skin
problems.....yet....

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 31st 05, 11:55 AM
Barb

Buy him a nice cat tree at one of the pet shops.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old July 31st 05, 08:03 PM
animzmirot

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Wait a durn minute. You have a cat who is allergic to cat dander? Now how
can that be? I don't get it. It's like a human being allergic to skin
sloughings. Gross yes, but allergic? What are you supposed to do, shave your
cat?

Today we had a *slight* bit of clear discharge after a sneeze, and a tiny
bit of runny eyes, also clear, after waking up. He's sleeping a lot (sacked
out on the kitchen floor right now) but he did go out for an hour earlier
and killed a bird, so he can't be *that* sick, right?

I guess we have a vet visit in our future. I'm just not sure what to
say...my cat sneezes a lot, but everything else looks normal? That will cost
me at least $100 and I'm hesitant to do it unless he's really not feeling up
to par.

Man, pet ownership can be complicated! Kids are so much easier. They talk.

Old July 31st 05, 08:26 PM
MaryL

"animzmirot" wrote in message

Wait a durn minute. You have a cat who is allergic to cat dander? Now how
can that be? I don't get it. It's like a human being allergic to skin
sloughings. Gross yes, but allergic? What are you supposed to do, shave
your
cat?

It's possible. There have also been reports of people who are literally
allergic to themselves (and to just about everything else in the
environment). They apparently have compromised immune systems.

MaryL

Old August 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 31 Jul 2005 03:03:12p, animzmirot wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Wait a durn minute. You have a cat who is allergic to cat
dander? Now how can that be? I don't get it. It's like a human
being allergic to skin sloughings. Gross yes, but allergic? What
are you supposed to do, shave your cat?

That was close to my reaction! Actually, I told him he'd have to
find a new place to live since there are 3 others that he's
allergic to. Vet dermatologist just sort of laughed, but said no
need. He's on allergy shots and cat dander is part of what's in the
mix to help build his tolerance to it. He's also allergic to mold
spores, dust mites, many pollens, a few others things I've never
heard of, but surprisingly not fleas.

Today we had a *slight* bit of clear discharge after a sneeze,
and a tiny bit of runny eyes, also clear, after waking up. He's
sleeping a lot (sacked out on the kitchen floor right now) but
he did go out for an hour earlier and killed a bird, so he can't
be *that* sick, right?

I guess we have a vet visit in our future. I'm just not sure
what to say...my cat sneezes a lot, but everything else looks
normal? That will cost me at least $100 and I'm hesitant to do
it unless he's really not feeling up to par.

Maybe call first and explain that other than sneezing there are no
symptoms and see if the vet still wants to see him? Ask what the
tests are for such a thing? Not sure. Just thinking...

Man, pet ownership can be complicated! Kids are so much easier.
They talk.

When they get to the talking stage, anyways!