Let it snow!

Old February 7th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default Let it snow!

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 15:08:02 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 7, 3:29 am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Pease pudding is as far as I know a Cockney dish- brill with saveloy
or faggots.

What are "faggots"? One of my music newsgroups twisted a
troll-initiated flame war (involving another use of the term) into a
culinary discussion, but they never defined the food item, so I was
completely in the dark!

that had me googling, too, since I was sure it wasn't the popular
USA'er slur for gay/homosexual

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot give several different meanings,
and http://tinyurl.com/zyfan refers to the food meaning
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old February 8th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wafflycat wrote:

Tomorrow, I'm doing a Geordie speciality, as that's the part of the world I
grew up in. I've got a ham to cook. It will be boiled with onion, celery,
carrot, bayleaf, thyme, pepper. Once done, the skin is removed from the ham
and then the joint is smothered in a mix of honey & mustard and roasted off
in the oven. The stock from the initial cooking is used to form the basis of
a delicious soup and also to form the basis of pease pudding, where it is
mixed with yellow slpit peas, garlic, bay and butter and left to cook slowly
in the bottom of the oven. The split peas absorb the stock & butter to form
a *delicious* spread that is *magnificent* with ham... A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

That sounds fabulous! I can tell I'm getting hungry.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 8th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wafflycat wrote:

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 7, 3:29 am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Pease pudding is as far as I know a Cockney dish- brill with saveloy
or faggots.

What are "faggots"? One of my music newsgroups twisted a
troll-initiated flame war (involving another use of the term) into a
culinary discussion, but they never defined the food item, so I was
completely in the dark!

Faggots in the food sense are made from offal minced up, lumped together
with herbs and served with gravy.

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal organs
of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

(FWIW, "faggote" is French for a clarinet.)
Old February 8th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wafflycat wrote:

Faggots in the food sense are made from offal minced up, lumped together
with herbs and served with gravy.

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal organs
of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

I'm glad you brought that up, Evelyn. I've been confused about this term
for years, because I never realized that the word had more than one meaning
depending on the country. I've always thought it meant feces, which I'm
sure is not what Helen was referring to. :-O

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 9th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

wafflycat wrote:

Faggots in the food sense are made from offal minced up, lumped together
with herbs and served with gravy.

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal organs
of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

I'm glad you brought that up, Evelyn. I've been confused about this term
for years, because I never realized that the word had more than one meaning
depending on the country. I've always thought it meant feces, which I'm
sure is not what Helen was referring to. :-O

from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offal#Europe

"Offal is the entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal. The
word does not refer to a particular list of organs, but includes most
internal organs other than muscles or bones.... In the UK Midlands
faggots are made from ground or minced pig offal (mainly liver and
cheek), bread, herbs and onion wrapped in pig's caul."
Old February 9th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal organs
of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

Hmmm. I'm a Usan and have never known it to mean anything but entrails.

--

Wayne M.
Old February 9th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Wayne Mitchell wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal organs
of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

Hmmm. I'm a Usan and have never known it to mean anything but entrails.

It's also used for the CONTENTS of those "entrails" (not something
usually eaten by ANYONE).
Old February 10th 09, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal organs
of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

Hmmm. I'm a Usan and have never known it to mean anything but entrails.

It's also used for the CONTENTS of those "entrails" (not something
usually eaten by ANYONE).

Unless you're talking about dogs, and their frequent attitude toward the
(former) contents of a cat's entrails.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 18th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Wayne Mitchell wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Ummm.... By "offal" I presume you mean the less popular internal
organs of a meat animal, not what we USAians mean by the term? ;-)

Hmmm. I'm a Usan and have never known it to mean anything but entrails.

It's also used for the CONTENTS of those "entrails" (not something
usually eaten by ANYONE).

+++++++
Whatever it means, it sounds "awful" MLB

Snow Marina Cat anecdotes 5 January 29th 07 05:34 AM
Ot le tit snow let it snow at least frost NMR Cat anecdotes 27 January 10th 06 04:27 PM
Snow Stormin Mormon Cat anecdotes 21 January 28th 05 06:33 AM
No Snow! No Snow! No Snow! Pat Cat anecdotes 9 December 26th 04 03:39 AM
SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!! Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 27 December 24th 04 06:32 PM