OT Economics

Old February 19th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default OT Economics

"MLB" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
ScratchMonkey wrote:
outsider wrote in
:

Are you trying to say that calcualtors existed when you were in high
school? Are you sure you're not thinking of an abacus?
My dad was using slide rules when I was a kid (60's and 70's) and I
recall he had a nifty circular (disk-shaped) slide rule. Slide rules
remained useful at the advent of the calculator revolution as they were
better at transcendentals, while the early calculators were only
4-function unless you were quite wealthy.

Back in 1944 I worked for two lawyers. They had a nifty calculator. It
stood on a pedestal and was heavy iron and about 16X16 inches. It had
multiple rows. Once your number keys were pushed in you had to pull a
handle down to activate it. Grocery stores had hand operated adding
machines too. That is how they added the grocery ;list. Adding
machines like that were still in use in the 50s. MLB

I used to have one of those as a display item in one of my stores. Dang
thing was heavy. It had special pixel etched on keys one was for a milk
jug, one was corn, one was an apple. it must have been from a farm
country store. I donated it when the stores closed

++++
I wonder how it wold be priced on Antiques Roadshow? MLB

I know it was worth some cash but let the public enjoy the history instead
of some collector letting it collect dust.

Not into antiques now if you want to see comic or sci-fi collection.
I have the envy of every star trek fan out there. I have from Franklin
Mint the star trek collectors plate all 4 of them from the 4 original series
before the new one last year that was released each one #1 of the series all
signed by the original cast and director. Now you want to see people drool
when I go to a convention.. Or when I pull out a issue where wolverine
makes his first appearance signed by the original cartoonist. I love the
offers I get. I have a big sign in front NOT FOR SALE DON'T ASK you will
be surprise how many still ask I tell them what does the sign read

I know if I was to sell all my collections I would be able to retire again
completely but not yet still got many years ahead of me and If I do go
before Mom she has what the collection is worth and can use it to live on
till her final days

Old February 19th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

ScratchMonkey wrote in
:

outsider wrote in
:

Are you trying to say that calcualtors existed when you were in high
school? Are you sure you're not thinking of an abacus?

My dad was using slide rules when I was a kid (60's and 70's) and I
recall he had a nifty circular (disk-shaped) slide rule. Slide rules
remained useful at the advent of the calculator revolution as they
were better at transcendentals, while the early calculators were only
4-function unless you were quite wealthy.

Ha! I never went anywhere without my circular slide rule (yeah, I was a
geek). I loved it because you were never off the wrong side of the rule
with the slide.