Cats and hummingbirds

Old August 15th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Cats and hummingbirds

I have a tall cat tree with a platform on the top. It's about two feet
from a window. Outside the window are two large hummingbird feeders.
The hummers are swarming around the feeders. Tiger seems to have no
interest in watching them (Amber is not able to get up there). Wouldn't
you think he would be interested?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 15th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 15, 11:57*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I have a tall cat tree with a platform on the top. *It's about two feet
from a window. *Outside the window are two large hummingbird feeders.
The hummers are swarming around the feeders. *Tiger seems to have no
interest in watching them (Amber is not able to get up there). *Wouldn't
you think he would be interested?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

It's funny the things they ignore when I think it is something they'll
just go
nuts over. We are having a grasshopper plague, and sometimes as
we come in the door, a grasshopper or two get in the house. I swear,
the
cats (all of them)....just look at it like "ewwww."
I have a hummer feeder too; last year I remember they did like waching
it.
This year has been so dry that the honeybees have nothing to forage,
and
they've taken over the feeder.

Sherry
Old August 16th 11, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have a tall cat tree with a platform on the top. It's about two feet
from a window. Outside the window are two large hummingbird feeders.
The hummers are swarming around the feeders. Tiger seems to have no
interest in watching them (Amber is not able to get up there). Wouldn't
you think he would be interested?

Occasionally Persia will pay attention to the hummingbirds at the feeder and
start chattering at them. But they move so fast, if she isn't looking she
doesn't even know they're there.

Jill

Old August 16th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 11:57 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
[...]

I don't get honeybees at the hummingbird feeder. Honeybees are harmless,
helpful creatures I was getting wasps and yellow-jackets at mine. They
sting! And ants. The wasps were chasing away my hummingbirds! I swapped
out the old feeder for a Hummzinger feeder to thwart them. It sort of looks
like a flying saucer from a 1950's movie No more wasps, no more ants.
It works!

But Persia still doesn't notice the hummers unless she's specifically
looking in that direction.

Jill

Old August 16th 11, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I have a tall cat tree with a platform on the top. It's about two feet
from a window. Outside the window are two large hummingbird feeders.
The hummers are swarming around the feeders. Tiger seems to have no
interest in watching them (Amber is not able to get up there). Wouldn't
you think he would be interested?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

- - - - - - - - - - -

I have two tall cat trees, one with two tall posts and one short post and
one with three tall posts plus one short post. Each one has three beds
mounted on the posts, and one also has a tunnel. Duffy absolutely adores
them. He is like a little gymnast and swirls up and down the poles from one
perch to another, then decides on which one to use for a nap. Holly is
really not interested in the cat trees. She likes to leap to the back of
chairs or sit in a window. I have always noticed that she is far more
interested in the movement of falling leaves than she is in birds. I do
have several bird feeders and some bird baths, but the hoomin occupant of
this house (me!!) is more interested in them than the furry occupants. When
I am using the computer (which is often), Duffy is most likely to climb the
post I had mounted to the side of the computer hutch. He will literally
"hang out" over the top of the hutch and reach toward me. Holly almost
instantly appears at the side of my keyboard, which does not contribute
anything to my productivity but contributes a lot to my emotional
well-being. She is so graceful that she will suddenly land on the keyboard
tray (not the keyboard itself, fortunately) before I am even aware of her.

MaryL