feeding strays

Old July 1st 04, 05:12 AM
suitta

Default feeding strays

I have a momma and baby kitty living in the brushy area over my back fence.
There's a good bit of area back there with lots of birds, lizards, and
mice. (I've seen all 3). Problem is tonight I put food out because they
looked a little thin and they came and enjoyed. If all I commit to is
feeding them am I inviting trouble or is giving them food good-hearted? I
cannot take in another cat. My landlord won't have it. They have no desire
to be housecat's. When approached they scattered. Before I set food out
one more time I need advice.

Thanks - Terri

Old July 1st 04, 06:05 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:12:09 -0700, "suitta" wrote:

I have a momma and baby kitty living in the brushy area over my back fence.
There's a good bit of area back there with lots of birds, lizards, and
mice. (I've seen all 3). Problem is tonight I put food out because they
looked a little thin and they came and enjoyed. If all I commit to is
feeding them am I inviting trouble or is giving them food good-hearted? I
cannot take in another cat. My landlord won't have it. They have no desire
to be housecat's. When approached they scattered. Before I set food out
one more time I need advice.

Thanks - Terri

IMO - a well fed stray or feral is bound to be healthier than a
starving one. For two years I fed 13 ferals and they were lovely cats
(but untouchable except for two of them). Their lives are usually
short, so why not make it a little better by giving them something to
eat?MLB

Old July 1st 04, 06:31 AM
Jon C

I leave a bowl of food filled on the side of my house for the couple of
neighborhood strays. None of them have ever let me get close, but the bowl
empties every few days. It's really cheap dry food (Meow Mix), but I'm sure
it's a lot better than what they eat otherwise.

Old July 1st 04, 05:30 PM
-L. :

"suitta" wrote in message news:qaMEc.91547$%T.27834@okepread05...
I have a momma and baby kitty living in the brushy area over my back fence.
There's a good bit of area back there with lots of birds, lizards, and
mice. (I've seen all 3). Problem is tonight I put food out because they
looked a little thin and they came and enjoyed. If all I commit to is
feeding them am I inviting trouble or is giving them food good-hearted? I
cannot take in another cat. My landlord won't have it. They have no desire
to be housecat's. When approached they scattered. Before I set food out
one more time I need advice.

Thanks - Terri

Don't feed them unless you plan on trapping them all and neutering
them. Otherwise you create a perpetual colony of cats destined to a
sorry life on the street. Each female can breed twice a year. Litter
size often is as many as 8-10 kittens, sometimes more. As you can
see, pretty soon you will be overun with cats.

-L.

Old July 1st 04, 06:51 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"suitta" wrote in message
I have a momma and baby kitty living in the brushy area over my back

fence.
There's a good bit of area back there with lots of birds, lizards, and
mice. (I've seen all 3). Problem is tonight I put food out because they
looked a little thin and they came and enjoyed. If all I commit to is
feeding them am I inviting trouble or is giving them food good-hearted? I
cannot take in another cat. My landlord won't have it. They have no

desire
to be housecat's. When approached they scattered. Before I set food out
one more time I need advice.

Thanks - Terri

Personally, I'd go ahead & fed them. If it ever gets to the point where
they become friendly w/ you & are inching their way toward adoption, then
you can figure out what to do about it. But until that happens - which it
may not ever do - I'd just go ahead & help to keep them a bit healthier
through better nutrition.

Cathy