Snowed in

Old February 5th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Snowed in

We Brits are not used to snow. Anyone who has to travel to work is in
trouble.
Monday, I struggled into work through the snow, it took me more than twice
as long. Getting home was another thing. It took me nearly 3 hours and it
was dark before I got home. This is dangerous for me as I cannot see in the
dark and I was in half a mind whether to abandon my car. I'm surprised I
got home alive.
Tuesday, we had a hard frost on top of the snow and my road was like a
skating rink for a mile. After losing control of my car twice the previous
evening I did not feel inclined to risk driving 11 miles on mainly unsalted
roads. This did not go down well with my manager. She said she was able to
get into work - bully for her. She lives in the middle of town where all
the roads are gritted and salted.
She wants to take a days leave (holiday) off me for not going in.
I got into work yesterday ok and she said "give me your leave card" so she
was able to take a day's holiday from me. I did not reply and I did not
give it to her.
Today we had 4 inches of snow overnight. There is no way I could even
attempt getting to work and back safely. Simon was supposed to come and see
me today but he rang this morning and I said do not even attempt it - he'd
walked to his workplace as it was quite close.
I asked what the position was if I decide it's not safe to travel and he
said if your manager thinks you can come in you will have to appeal the
decision. Oh, joy.
I know it was not possible to get to work from here. So what do I do, gain
my leave back or annoy my manager?
I am not prepared to risk my life after the experience I had on Monday.
It's only a job, after all.
The cats are thrilled that the woodburner was lit in the morning and we are
all tucked up warm now.
Boyfie was upset. I kept them shut in overnight and he was wanting a wee
outside when I got up. He asked me to open the door and I did. Big snow
so he turned back, tried again half an hour later, still big snow.. Poor
lad, after another hour or so he girded his loins for the snow and went out
for the sake of his bladder in 3 inches of snow.
It's not like we do not have two litterboxes here but he does not like to
use one.
If he does I think he only wees once a day, litterbox is flooded in an
emergency.
Tweed

Old February 5th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs for you to get some nicer weather, both so you can get to work, and
Boyfie can go outside to wee (Mimi sends Her Sweet Boyfie purrs and
headbutts).

One time ages ago, I live 30+ miles from where I worked. Where I lived we
had an ice storm (almost an inch of ice over everything, entire county was
shut down). Called my department manager, she was going to give me an
'unexcused' absence - I told her to get in her fancy little Trans Am and
try to cross the county line - hung up on her and called *her* boss (store
manager) - she said she had heard the reports on the radio, and not to
worry about it (she overrode my manager). I mean when the street
department people can't even get to work to salt/sand the roads, and you
see your neighbor's kids ***ice skating in the streets***, you know you
need to stay home!

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old February 5th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I know one storm or one place does not make a weather pattern, but
I've got a feeling you Brits are wondering just where global warming
is when you need it!

Stay safe and warm and home.

Purrs

Jo

Old February 5th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I was wondering how you were getting on in the snow, glad you're okay. We've
had very little here, some settled on Monday but it had all melted by
Tuesday, non since. It's surprising how much difference it makes being on
the coast.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old February 5th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

One time ages ago, I live 30+ miles from where I worked. Where I lived we
had an ice storm (almost an inch of ice over everything, entire county was
shut down). Called my department manager, she was going to give me an
'unexcused' absence - I told her to get in her fancy little Trans Am and
try to cross the county line - hung up on her and called *her* boss (store
manager) - she said she had heard the reports on the radio, and not to
worry about it (she overrode my manager). I mean when the street
department people can't even get to work to salt/sand the roads, and you
see your neighbor's kids ***ice skating in the streets***, you know you
need to stay home!

Wow, what a nasty boss you had. How were things between you, once you got
back to work? I know that managers hate it when their underlings go over
their head - not that I think you should have done anything different, btw.
I just wonder what the ramifications were once you had to work together
after that.

I generally think that getting fired is better than dying, so if I feel
that what my employer wants me to do would put my life in danger, it's
not a hard decision. I do realize that some things are in kind of a grey
area - maybe it's not as much of a risk as it seems, maybe someone really
can't afford to lose a job, etc. But I think a full inch of ice on
everything falls clearly in the "too dangerous" category!

I told the story about the time a department manager asked me to go into
a computer lab, after the sprinkler system had left a few inches of water
on the floor, and start plugging in and turning on the big machines, didn't
I? Since when is facing possible electrocution part of the job description
of a software developer??

--
Joyce ^..^

Old February 5th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a typical Utah winter - and it is scary! It has taken me two hours to do a 20 minutew drive. I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore.

Best wishes for an early Spring. MLB

Old February 5th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I was wondering how you were getting on in the snow, glad you're okay.
We've had very little here, some settled on Monday but it had all melted
by Tuesday, non since. It's surprising how much difference it makes being
on the coast.

4 inches overnight here. I stayed at home. My car is elderly though v
reliable and if I get it severely bumped it will be an economic write off.
Besides which I do not want to get injured in an accident.
If my boss does not like it, it's too bad. It's just a job and I'm
certainly not putting my life at risk for it.

Tweed

Old February 5th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
"Christina Websell" wrote:

snip

[...]

If you have to justify your decision, consult your local police. They
will know the state of the roads on the day in question in your area,
whether your manager does or not. It may be that they can give you a
letter or some other evidence that travel from your house was *not* safe.

Baird

--
Instead, our congressmen talk to and about Rush Limbaugh
like Old Bolsheviks praising Comrade Stalin at their
Old February 6th 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
"Jofirey" wrote:

I know one storm or one place does not make a weather pattern, but
I've got a feeling you Brits are wondering just where global warming
is when you need it!

I can't find the url, now, but the BBC had a report yesterday suggesting
that global warming *is* here, even now. A similar weather pattern in
1962-63 brought much, much colder temperatures than the UK is
experiencing this time around.

Also, IIRC, the chance of a snowy winter back then was one year in five;
now it is one year in twenty-five.

snip

Baird

Old February 6th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Christina Websell wrote
We Brits are not used to snow. Anyone who has to travel to work is in
trouble.

It's only in the last few years since we got inundated with Health and
Safety nonsense that we turned in to wimps and wusses. In my day it
took at least two *feet* of snow to think of not going to school.

I showed the snow to Nanki Poo. He shouted at me.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

Snowed in Ginger-lyn[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 February 5th 09 08:07 PM
Snowed in Cheryl P.[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 February 5th 09 07:43 PM
OT - IT SNOWED CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 22 December 14th 08 06:17 PM
IT SNOWED!!!!!!!! Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 26th 06 01:09 AM