Hunter and Sammy - Help!

Old April 10th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Hunter and Sammy - Help!

Hunter is at the S.N.A.P clinic getting his "snip" - they're going to call
me between 2 and 4 today to let me know how he did and when to come pick him
up. Again, purrs for his uneventful surgery would be greatly appreciated.

Sammy is going to be a problem. *NOT* because she is so big and could bully
Hunter but because she is such a big *WUSS*! She has been very, very edgy
since hunter has been in the house, even though she hasn't seen him (I'm
sure she can still smell and hear him). She won't eat because she's afraid
to stay upstairs (I had to sit down next to her this morning to even get her
to take a few bites - the whole while she kept stopping to look around
nervously).

I don't want her to get sick from nerves as she did when we tried to home
Tayla, but I am determined that sweet little Hunter will have a home with us
(actually Tayla would have too if she hadn't been so dangerously aggressive
with the (then) 10 week old boys). It's going to be 2 more months before
Sammy will even be able to see Hunter, then more time being separated by
screen or cage. However, I want to start taking care of her nerves *now*
before she has a chance to make herself sick. I'm thinking of getting
something for her nerves from the vet this weekend.

Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have you
used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter has
been successfully integrated?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 10th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have you
used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter has
been successfully integrated?

I have no direct experience with this issue, but I do recall that others
have advocated Feliway as being helpful with issues like these. Do you
have Feliway diffusers in place?

Dan
Old April 10th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have you
used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter has
been successfully integrated?

I have no direct experience with this issue, but I do recall that others
have advocated Feliway as being helpful with issues like these. Do you
have Feliway diffusers in place?

Dan

I'd be leery of Feliway. While they calmed Lizzy's aggressiveness, they
freaked out Weeble - he kept looking for that "other cat" that he
couldn't see/hear, but could smell! Took him six months to get back to
"normal" after we removed then diffusers completely from the house.

And Lizzie has now calmed her aggressiveness on her own. She's Queen
Elizabeth now

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old April 10th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
Has anyone here had problems with a nervous cat? What medications have
you
used, if any? How long should I keep her on medication after Hunter has
been successfully integrated?

I have no direct experience with this issue, but I do recall that others
have advocated Feliway as being helpful with issues like these. Do you
have Feliway diffusers in place?

Dan

I haven't yet - since it's *SO* expensive that will be a last resort. My
vet recommended Homeopet Anxiety (an OTC medication). It's only $17 so I'm
going to give that a try (unless someone here has had an adverse experience
with it).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 10th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Just sending out purrs, since I've never had one on meds. I do have a
couple of very neurotic cats, though. They're only neurotic part of the
time, so I don't worry about it too much. (Arthur, Wolfie and Merlyn
are the Neurotic Three).

Have you tried introductions yet (very, very SLOW introductions, of course)?

I wish I was of more help, but I hope things get worked out okay.

Ginger-lyn
Old April 10th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Nocturne didn't take the move well at all. It took her six months to
stop hanging out in the closet most of the time and she pees the
floor. We tried Feliway and it helped a little, and we had to throw
out our cat bed and make sure nothing else soft (clothes, rugs,
pillows) ever got onto the floor. We need to hang them up or keep
them on the furniture at all times...rugs are useless. Finally she
started just peeing by the door, and when no-mark spray, tinfoil and
stickytape all failed, we just put a litter box in her pee spot.

I don't really know what to say other than introduce them very slowly,
use Feliway or one of those others (maybe try the spray?) and realize
Sammy may need a lot of time and encouragement to adjust . Make sure
she gets the lions' share of attention.

We didn't medicate Nox. When we moved the cat post closer to the
closet during Yule to put the tree up, she started to hang out on it
so we left it in the dining room. She now sleeps on the couch too if
I have my decorator pillows in the corners for her to poly on. We had
to accommodate her with the litter box too and...she meatloafs on the
dining room table. I don't like a cat on the table, but if I put her
on the floor, Smokey runs up and starts harassing her. I've noticed
that if one of the kittens is on HER cat tree, she loafs on the table
to stay up out of Smokey's reach. It seems the lesser of two evils to
let her sit on the table.

Purrs,

Fil

Old April 11th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Hopefully she will be better when his hormone levels drop.

Jo

Old April 11th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
t...
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

He's still in a room all by himself behind a solid door. He's going to stay
there until we get his second FIV and FeLV test 7 weeks from now. After
that we'll put up the door that has the cut-out bottom half that's screened
so they can see and smell each other for a while. We're also going to use
the large dog kennel we had to buy when Archer broke his leg so that Hunter
can hang out with us in the great room without being able to engage anybody
physically.

So far (fingers crossed) the Homeopet Anxiety drops seem to be working on
Sammy.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 11th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message

[...]

{{{{{{{{{{Nocturne}}}}}}}}}} Moves are especially hard on older cats.
Purring that she'll soon feel comfortable in her new home.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 11th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I hadn't thought of that! Maybe between that, the Homeopet Anxiety drops,
and his very laid-back nature (what is it about orinj-stripey boy cats that
make them so mellow??!) she'll be OK during the sloooooooow introduction.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sammy and Hunter - Help! CatNipped[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 9 April 12th 08 12:15 AM
The Mighty Bug Hunter jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 June 15th 05 06:46 PM
Sammy - big moth hunter Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 15 September 8th 04 06:57 AM
Cat hunter Mermaid Cat rescue 10 June 2nd 04 03:10 AM
My cat the hunter Ablang Cats - misc 14 March 23rd 04 06:33 AM