Cats and Milk

Old January 10th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Default Cats and Milk

wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat wrote:
wrote
Pat wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote

I notice the increased throat-clearing myself after drinking milk,
and
I'm
no singer!

I don't know about throat clearing because I have never drunk milk. In
fact
I never ate dairy products at all until I was 17 years old and heard
from
doctor that if I wanted my stomach ulcer to heal, I had to eat as much
dairy
as possible. I couldn't force myself to drink milk, but I did start
putting
cream in my coffee and eating cheese, butter and yoghurt regularly
(but
still could not drink milk). After six months I had kidney stones,
chronic
bronchitis, 20 extra pounds and severe acne.

Just curious, but why not? What *did* you eat when you were a kid? No
cold cereal with milk, no buttered toast, no ice cream? No cheese?
Growing up in the 50's, that would be *very* unusual, and difficult,
particularly with school lunch menus the way they were then.

As an infant I couldn't keep cow's milk down, so my mom gave me soymilk
(she
told me later on). She still tried to force me to drink milk as I got
older,
but I never would. I ate my cereal dry or with some fruit juice on it.
Toast
was dry or with jam.

We didn't have lunches served at my grade school, you either brought a
lunch
or walked home if you lived close enough. In high school I was given
money
for the lunch but I went to a friend's house half a block from school and
ate with them, and saved up my "lunch money" for other stuff like makeup
and
records. I did now and then eat a watery fudgesicle but I mainly liked
the
coldness and the chocolate flavor. I didn't do that often because it
always
made me feel really sick. In high school the gang I hung around with
would
go out to a pizzaria after football and basketball games, I'd eat one
slice
to be polite and "normal", and get sick later on.

My mom ate a lot of Velveeta and cottage cheese. I wouldn't touch either
one. My dad liked some sort of hard orange cheese that I couldn't stand.
There was always parmesan (those green cardboard cans) in the fridge,
too,
but I didn't eat it. I do remember going through a phase when I liked
bleu
cheese dressing but it was quite brief. Tried it in a restaurant once,
liked
it, and later asked my parents to keep it around for me. Neither of them
could fathom the attraction - and now I can't even stand the smell of it!

In recent years I've had small amounts of ranch dressing on salad in
restaurants a few times and gotten away with it. I don't really like it,
but
plain salad is pretty boring, and the other dressings are loaded with
sugar.
If salsa is available I use that instead of dressing. Or, if I know in
advance that I'll be eating out, I take a small amount of homemade
dressing
in a bottle in my purse, if possible.

It makes perfect sense why you would avoid dairy products at all costs.
Anyone would.
If I could offer this, though, no one likes to be proselytized. I don't
think that's really your intent, but it is definitely the tone of your
posts. Making a comment strictly "from the bleachers", you just sound
like one of people who consider themselves super-enlightened whose
dreary task is to educate all the woefully ignorant masses.
Those of us who choose to, and enjoy, milk with no ill effects, just
don't appreciate being preached to. If I can be bold, I think that's
basically why this thread went sour.
I guess I just have a cest la vie attitude--I don't get fired up about
much and I don't put a lot of stock in a whole lot that I read on what
I consider wacko fringe internet sites. And I think for myself. I think
that's the biggest issue -- I make my own decisions *when* I want to
and with information *I* research or request.
I think you intend to post more in the spirit of debate, but it comes
off as just plain arguing and trying to prove someone wrong.
To make an example, I remember you smoke. A lot of folks here have
casually mentioned that they smoke. How would you feel if you made a
casual comment and were hit with quit-smoking websites, information
from the surgeon general, the lung association, heart association, or
whatever else? You'd feel criticized by friends. Maybe their intent was
to help you (and I think that's your intent the milk, sugar, etc.
threads). But you'd probably think it was rude and condescending.
Anyway,, I hope you receive this in the spirit it was offered, and it
is *not* to criticize you. Just wanted to offer the situation as I see
it.
Sherry

You hit it right on the nose Sherry

Old January 10th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pat wrote:

"Rhonda" wrote

I notice the increased throat-clearing myself after drinking milk, and I'm
no singer!

I don't know about throat clearing because I have never drunk milk. In fact
I never ate dairy products at all until I was 17 years old and heard from a
doctor that if I wanted my stomach ulcer to heal, I had to eat as much dairy
as possible. I couldn't force myself to drink milk, but I did start putting
cream in my coffee and eating cheese, butter and yoghurt regularly (but
still could not drink milk). After six months I had kidney stones, chronic
bronchitis, 20 extra pounds and severe acne.

Ergo, because you are the resident Expert on Absolutely
Everything, The cause for all these ills simply HAD to be
dairy products! (You really are a class AQ idiot, you know?)

Old January 10th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat wrote:
wrote
Pat wrote:
[...]

Well thanks. I just find that the older I get, the less I like being
told what to do :-)
How about you?

Old January 10th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Winnie" wrote

You can order oil and vinegar as a salad dressing. Both olive oil and
vinegar are good for you.

I've yet to find a restaurant that both fits my budget *and* has olive oil
on the premises!

Soy milk is good with cereal if you like soy milk.

Actually, I don't enjoy soymilk. I use it in coffee sometimes and in baking,
but never "raw".

Old January 10th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

wrote
Pat wrote:
[...]

Some blue cheese isn't made from cows milk. Ranch usually contains milk.
Often when I get a salad when I'm out I just ask for and use oil and
vinegar. Most decent hand made dressings won't contain sugar. Its the
bottled ones that are a problem.

Charlie couldn't handle cows milk as an infant. It really isn't all that
uncommon. But living in Missouri at that time the solution was for the
family to get a goat. I like goats milk and the cheeses and ice cream made
from it. A friends family had a lot of prize winning dairy goats when I
lived in Virginia. But it doesn't seem to be commercially available around
here.

Jo

Old January 10th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
ups.com...

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat wrote:
wrote
Pat wrote:
[...]

A courtesy suggestion is one thing but anything else is putting your nose
where it don't belong

The way I look at things if you don't like me for who and what I am there is
the door don't let the doorknob hit you where the good lord split you

Just like I told my current now thankfully EX WIFE ( one heck of a xmas
gift )

Old January 10th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

I guess I just have a cest la vie attitude--I don't get fired up about
much and I don't put a lot of stock in a whole lot that I read on what
I consider wacko fringe internet sites. And I think for myself. I think
that's the biggest issue -- I make my own decisions *when* I want to
and with information *I* research or request.

Good - but be careful whose "facts" you accept. Always ask, "Qui bono?"
Going along with the pack is fine and can make you popular, but can also be
a grave mistake if you believe the wrong people.

I think you intend to post more in the spirit of debate, but it comes
off as just plain arguing and trying to prove someone wrong.
To make an example, I remember you smoke. A lot of folks here have
casually mentioned that they smoke. How would you feel if you made a
casual comment and were hit with quit-smoking websites, information
from the surgeon general, the lung association, heart association, or
whatever else? You'd feel criticized by friends. Maybe their intent was
to help you (and I think that's your intent the milk, sugar, etc.
threads). But you'd probably think it was rude and condescending.

No, I wouldn't. I might be a tiny bit annoyed, but that would be offset by
assuming they were concerned and trying to be helpful - that is, unless they
used the kind of negative expressions, namecalling, ridicule and lies that
we see from Jill and Evelyn. I would also understand that they were probably
somewhat misinformed.

There was no anti-smoking movement when I was 17, and I did not smoke back
then, yet after six months of using dairy products for the first time in my
life, I had chronic bronchitis. This was my first clue about the nature of
the anti-smoking movement.

What research has been done to discover why so many people who do not smoke
suffer from the same ills as those we now blame on smoking? What studies
have compared the occurrence of these illnesses in groups of smokers who do
not consume dairy products and sugar, with those who do? What studies have
compared the rates of occurrence of those diseases among smokers who grow
their own tobacco or only buy pure natural tobacco, with those who smoke
only commercially produced cigarettes? If no research has been done into
these questions, why not?

It's not my intention to propose that nicotine isn't addictive, or to
encourage anyone to smoke, however, if you do choose to smoke, please do it
as *consciously* as you can!

Old January 10th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Pat" wrote

"Winnie" wrote

You can order oil and vinegar as a salad dressing. Both olive oil and
vinegar are good for you.

I've yet to find a restaurant that both fits my budget *and* has olive oil
on the premises!

Soy milk is good with cereal if you like soy milk.

Actually, I don't enjoy soymilk. I use it in coffee sometimes and in
baking, but never "raw".

Just adding this note of puzzlement because my internet connection went down
as I was composing the above reply and the one to Sherry's post further down
in the thread, and both were in my Outbox, but when the connection came back
on and the posts were sent, only this one appeared in my Sent box and in the
thread. I had to recompose the other. No idea where it went!

Old January 12th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

"Winnie" wrote

You can order oil and vinegar as a salad dressing. Both olive oil and
vinegar are good for you.

I've yet to find a restaurant that both fits my budget *and* has olive oil
on the premises!

Other than MacDonalds, I've never found it a problem!