Ping Lee

Old March 9th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default Ping Lee

ok here is what I do, quarter the apples, remove seeds and the stem, leave
on the skin. rinse them to make sure they are damp. put into a deep iron
skillet on low and cook until when you stir they are mush, then add spices,
cook for the same amount of time it took them to be mush they will turn into
butter, Lee
Phoenix wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
What on Earth is apple butter? Come to think of it someone else
mentioned plum butter in another thread a while back- are we talking
jam here or what?

Nope. We're talking concentrated essense of applesauce, basically. Or
plums. (Might have been me that mentioned plum butter, because I make
some every year from the plums that fall from our generous plum tree.)

What you do is quarter apples, cook them on low with a little water in
the crockpot until they are very soft. Then you squish them through a
strainer into a bowl, leaving the skins and seeds behind and producing
a smooth applesauce. (I use the conical "hat" type strainer with the
wooden cylindrical squisher. Wish I knew what that was called.)

Now you put that back into the (wiped out) crockpot, put it on low, add
a little cinnamon and nutmeg and cook for about three days, stirring 2-3
times a day until the magic happens and it "butters up".

Which means it turns into this lovely, slightly shiny, thick, intensely
flavored apple butter.

Works with any fruit...take the pits out of the stone fruits first,
though.

Mmmmm....off to put plum butter on my pancakes...

Deborah
Slave to the Gang of Eight

Old March 10th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
"Yowie"
tanadashoes wrote:
"Granby"
We both have nice nails as a rule. People say "are those yours?" I
say yes, after all, I paid for them so, they are mine. I always
wonder if I said I stole them from someone what they would say.

Mandy (daughter) had/has these incredible blue eyes. When she was a
baby people used to look at her, look at me, and ask her where she
got those blue eyes. Then they would get personal. I got tired of
it and told people that she got them from her father and had to give
them back to him next week. What an amazing improvement. They
backed off gave me a funny look and left. No more crowding, no more
personal questions, and nor more pawing at her like she was on the
block. People take incredible liberties with small children and
pregnant women. I got to the place where I'd tell strangers that my
tummy
was mine and I didn't share with strangers.

You got them good

I *still* remember my stomach being mauled when I was pregnant. I
also remember feeling like I was just abiological hatching device
and my *only* purpose, indeed *only* ability, skilll & chracter I
had was that I could bake a baby. The hospital didn't treat me much
different either. It was when a person smacked the prawn I was
about to eat out of my hand and said "you can't eat that, you're
pregnant" that I realised just how archaic society's attitudes still
are to pregnant women. Yowie

Geez, why can't you eat prawns if you're pregnant?

Salmonella or something. Like you arent' suppose dto eat soft cheese or
salami or a whole bunch of other stuff. I loved what my doctor said though
"if you can keep it down, eat it". LOL. I couldn't stand the smell of
anything fried, of coffee or alchohol, and lots of other things. One of the
few things i Could eat with abandon was cheese and salami. But mostly I just
craved green vegetables. I ate lots of salads, and lost 20kg when i was
pregnant. (Of course, I found it all plus some more afterwards).

To the Guys here, you'll appreciate what your women go thru in
childbirth if you've ever had a 'charleyhorse' That what
contractions feel like.

What is a 'charleyhorse'? Some strange slang term you Merkins use :-)

Only they come every coupla minutes apart
lasting for a minute or 2 and YOU men would NOT be able to stand the
pain. I'm not kidding here.

Hah! I coudln't stand the pain either. I wussed out at 4cm dilation and
begged (BEGGED!) for the epidural. It was such a relief I actually kissed
the aneathitist (the guy who did it) - who looked approximately 70.

On my second C-Section, the damn Dr didn't let me get fully numb
before he started cutting me open, and I kept telling the *******,
"I'm NOT numb yet..STOP"!!! He just said 'knock her out"...grrrrrr

*charming*. The worst thing about the birth (besides the pain) was how I was
treated like a bit of meat that didn't matter - I swear that even Joel got
treated more like a human being than I did. I am *still* angry about it 4
years later.

Yowie

Old March 10th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Geez, why can't you eat prawns if you're pregnant?

Salmonella or something. Like you arent' suppose dto eat soft cheese or
salami or a whole bunch of other stuff.

I can understand worrying about soft cheese getting salmonella, but
salami? Doesn't that stuff have so much preservative that no bacteria
could possibly live in it??

To the Guys here, you'll appreciate what your women go thru in
childbirth if you've ever had a 'charleyhorse' That what
contractions feel like.

What is a 'charleyhorse'? Some strange slang term you Merkins use :-)

It's a leg cramp. Ever wake up in the middle of the night feeling like
your calf or thigh is turning inside-out, or like someone's got it in a
vise and is squeezing tighter and tighter?

I had something similar to that in my upper back a few months ago. It
just kind of spasmed, and then was tenuous for hours and hours. I had to
be so careful how I moved, or it would go into spasm again. Only reason
I didn't go to the ER was that it wasn't a constant pain, it would only
flare up if I moved a certain way. Toward the end of the day, it stopped
happening and was finally able to relax.

On my second C-Section, the damn Dr didn't let me get fully numb
before he started cutting me open, and I kept telling the *******,
"I'm NOT numb yet..STOP"!!! He just said 'knock her out"...grrrrrr

*charming*. The worst thing about the birth (besides the pain) was how I was
treated like a bit of meat that didn't matter - I swear that even Joel got
treated more like a human being than I did. I am *still* angry about it 4
years later.

Unbelievable! I thought we'd finally gotten past that kind of treatment.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 10th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

tanadashoes wrote:
"Stormmee" wrote in message
this is yet another reason that I chose to not have children... my
sick sense of personal space would have been like:

"eyes? eyes? *look at DH "do you think there were her father's or
the woman we shot to get he?"

We were in a restaurant in Texas with my best friend Susie, her three
kids and Mandy. The three of us had these old women going nuts as we
talked as though we were both cheating with Rob on his wife. And
that all four of those blonde children were his and his wife's and
that we wanted her to take care of them next time. As they left
their table, one of them stopped by ours and told us that Satan was
having his way with us and that we should be ashamed of putting those
poor innocent babies through all that. Susie and I were hussies who
were no better than we should be and so on and so forth. Somehow
Susie an I kept a straight face as Rob asked her to go out on a date
with him. We are not nice people.

See, there's nice, and there are those people that are just *begging* to
have their heads messed with. Joel & I usually try to oblige :-)

Yowie

Old March 10th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

sort of like when TV and OEJ were kittens, vet sent us to the store to get
meat only baby food, now DH nor I have ever had children and neither of us
have ever had to feed a baby so we are in that isle looking at the
ingredients... DH is reading and I keep saying no onions, no garlic, and
when we finally get what we want, I become aware of a couple behind us that
have been making comments about how stupid we are as parents... then DH
tells me the price of these little pots of gold and I say, forget it, lets
just give them away or drowned them or something, wench almost choked on her
tongue, Lee

Old March 10th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

thank you, Lee
Granby wrote in message
hat is why she is my friend.

Old March 11th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Yowie wrote:
tanadashoes wrote:
"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

You sound like kindred spirits! (Too bad Australia is so far away, and
my traveling days have come to an end.)

Old March 11th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"tanadashoes" wrote in message

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

Reminds me of this story (dunno how true it is):

A man had three dogs and was buying a large bag of Meaty Bites at Big W and
standing in line at the check out.

The woman behind him asked if he had a dog.

On impulse, he told her that no, he was starting The Meaty Bites Diet
again, although he probably shouldn't because he'd ended up in the hospital
last time, but that he'd lost 20 kilos before he woke up in the intensive
care ward with tubes coming out of most of his orifices and IVs in both
arms.

He told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and the way that it works
is to load your pants pockets with Meaty Bites and simply eat one or two
every time you feel hungry and that the food is nutritionally complete, so
he was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now
enthralled with his story, particularly a guy who was behind her.

Horrified, she asked if he'd ended up in the hospital in that condition
because he had been poisoned.

He told her no - it was because he'd been sitting in the street licking his
balls and a car hit him.

I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard
as he staggered out the door.

Stupid woman .... Why else would anyone buy dog food?

Old March 11th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

for the same reason the last time we were in Sam's club shopping for
groceries, a woman comes up to us and looks in our cart and says "oh I was
going to try that wine, is it any good?" DH says with a straight face...
"NO, its nasty, that's why there are only four bottles in our cart",... she
said oh and walked away, Lee

Ping Pam S sam Cat anecdotes 1 December 2nd 07 01:20 AM
Ping: Dan jmcquown Cat anecdotes 2 September 30th 07 09:40 PM
ping: BEV Tish Silberbauer Cat anecdotes 2 May 27th 06 05:14 AM
PING Pat NMR Cat anecdotes 0 December 25th 05 09:34 PM
Ping Yoj JBHajos Cat anecdotes 1 July 15th 05 12:10 AM