Trying to rescue a mature female cat from the cold

Old November 20th 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.rescue
The Doctor

Default Trying to rescue a mature female cat from the cold

We have an old stray female in our neighbourhood.

It might be pregnant.

It comes for food and water. Because we are having cold days
the water does tend to freeze quickly but the food is good.

How can one get a said cat indoors and start earning
its trust? It might have kitten to rescue.
--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising!
Old November 20th 11, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

The Doctor wrote:
We have an old stray female in our neighbourhood.

It might be pregnant.

It comes for food and water. Because we are having cold days
the water does tend to freeze quickly but the food is good.

How can one get a said cat indoors and start earning
its trust? It might have kitten to rescue.

I did it by buying a waterproof heating pad (for bed wetters) and putting it
in the bottom of a cat carrier with the door removed. ?Then, I put the heat
on low, and placed it outside my hous3e, on my wooden deck, in a place that
was protected from the wind. I put the cats food and water close enough to
the cat carrier so the cat would feel the heat eminating from it when he
came up to eat. Very soon, the cat was sleeping inside on the warm heating
pad. It was only a short step from that to getting it into the house. I
moved his food and water gradually through the door into the house, and he
would come in to eat at night, and then explore the rest of the house while
we were asleep......Soon, he was eating and sleeping inside the house.....