A cat legend

Old September 26th 04, 03:11 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:32:59 GMT, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I heard a different version of the legend about the "M". I heard that the
baby Jesus was fussy one cold night in the stable where He was born, and
would not go to sleep no matter how much the Virgin Mary rocked him. A lamb
came to lay beside him to try to warm and comfort Him, but it didn't help,
the baby Jesus still cried. A donkey came, chicks came, and a camel came,
all the animals in the stable came to His crib to try and soothe Him, but
none of the animals were able to make him sleep. Then a tabby kitten
crawled up beside Him and started to purr. Within just a few minutes the
baby Jesus calmed down and drifted off to sleep. In gratitude the Virgin
Mary placed her hand on the kitten's head to give it her blessing. And
tabby kittens, to this day, have the "M", the mark of Mary, on their
foreheads.

hmmm, hadn't heard that one before, though I have heard the Mohammed
story.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old September 26th 04, 04:06 AM
Jo Firey

wrote:

[...]

That one is new to me as well. But I like them both.

Jo

Old September 26th 04, 04:47 AM
William Hamblen

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:14:49 -0400, Singh
wrote:

I'm afraid that we Westerners have become jaded in one such area: we have
become conditioned to believe that God sounds like Charlton Heston.

Everybody knows that Moses sounded like Charlton Heston.

Old September 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Takayuki

Singh wrote:

It is said that as the Prophet Mohammed was studying scripture, a kitten
crawled into the sleeve of his robe. In peace with the Prophet and the
quiet atmosphere of spiritual study, the kitty curled up and slept in
the sleeve; and Mohammed, very touched by this gesture, cut the sleeve
from the robe rather than awaken the kitten. And then, as a sign of
favor, the Prophet set his initial on the kitty's forehead for her and
her descendants to carry forever.

I'm also often very touched by kitties, so maybe in the future, we'll
see lots of cats with the letter "T" on their foreheads.

This reminds me how once I was telling a friend how it's interesting
that you never see any sculptures or paintings of Mohammed, and how
that makes his legends somewhat more difficult to visualize. I
thought it would be a great idea if someone could start a business
specializing in likenesses of Mohammed, but he thought that was a dumb
idea.