They are shorting out my power supply

Old December 6th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Conan Kelly

Default They are shorting out my power supply

Hello all,

Is there anything I can put on my power supply cord for my laptop that the
cats hate the taste of?

They are chewing on the cord. They've shorted out 2 so far, and I'm willing
to bet the third one is about to go (by the looks of the cord).

No, they are not getting electrocuted. They are chewing on the lower
powered cord between the computer and the power supply/converter, not higher
powered the cord between the wall outlet and the converter. My cats will
not end up like the one in "Christmas Vacation" =D (was that the movie?)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Old December 6th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Conan Kelly

cindys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think there is any chance of them growing out of it as all of my
cats are adults.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Conan

"cindys" wrote in message

"Conan Kelly" wrote in message
Hello all,

Is there anything I can put on my power supply cord for my laptop that
the cats hate the taste of?

----------
Alex used to chew on electric cords when he was a kitten. We used a
product called "Bitter apple" which is a spray you can buy at a pet supply
store and spray it on and it has a nasty taste. It didn't work with Alex,
but it may work with your cats. Try to find a nontoxic (to cats) substance
with a nasty odor, but forget the sprays with names like "Cat Off," as
they are intended for outdoor use. If you use them inside, you will think
a skunk just died in your living room, and the odor lingers for days. BTW,
Alex eventually outgrew the habit.

I found this website with several suggestions:
http://cats.about.com/od/catcare/f/catproofwiring.htm

Good luck.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old December 6th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 05:59:33 GMT, Conan Kelly wrote:
Hello all,

Is there anything I can put on my power supply cord for my laptop that the
cats hate the taste of?

Get some habenero hot sauce like "Dave's Insanity Sauce" and spread it
liberally on the cords. I used the same technique to get a cat to quit
chewing drapery pullcords.

Be very very carefull not to touch your eyes if you've got the stuff on your
hands make sure you do an incredibly good job washing your hands afterwards.
Old December 6th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Dec 6, 12:51 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 05:59:33 GMT, Conan Kelly wrote:
Hello all,
Is there anything I can put on my power supply cord for my laptop that the
cats hate the taste of?

Get some habenero hot sauce like "Dave's Insanity Sauce" and spread it
liberally on the cords. I used the same technique to get a cat to quit
chewing drapery pullcords.

Be very very carefull not to touch your eyes if you've got the stuff on your
hands make sure you do an incredibly good job washing your hands afterwards.

Cats dont like citrus flavor. You could get some citrus oil like
grapefruit or lemon at Whole Foods and rub it on the cords. I dont
understand your problem. Why is your laptop continually plugged in?
If youre having this problem why dont you charge the laptop at night
in a closet or the bathroom.. My apple laptop has one cord that goes
directly from the laptop to the outlet.
Old December 6th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Why not cover the cord with a spiral plastic designed for covering
wires. Most electronic stores carry these.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 8th 07, 08:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
OSPAM says...
Hello all,

Is there anything I can put on my power supply cord for my laptop that the
cats hate the taste of?

They are chewing on the cord. They've shorted out 2 so far, and I'm willing
to bet the third one is about to go (by the looks of the cord).

No, they are not getting electrocuted. They are chewing on the lower
powered cord between the computer and the power supply/converter, not higher
powered the cord between the wall outlet and the converter. My cats will
not end up like the one in "Christmas Vacation" =D (was that the movie?)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Best of luck. I was advised to use bitter apple and other products to
discourage my cat Randy from chewing cables. He destroyed many a coax
cable (amateur radio), phone cable, electrical cables, etc.

But none of the offered solutions helped. So I did the next best thing.

I went to Home Depot and picked up about 30 feet of a flexible blue
conduit that was about an inch and a quarter in diameter and wrapped
that around all the critical cables.

He could try to chew it but the plastic was just hard enough that he
couldn't break through and the cables sat undamaged.

Randy had to be euthanized about a year ago, just shy of his 18th year.

The new cat Angie has been with us for 11 months now. She hasn't
exhibited any chewing behavior, though she does like to bat around my
hookup wire for my electronic projects.

Which sites have Best VALUE Pet Supply? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 2 July 25th 06 11:57 PM
Cats' water supply Pat Cat anecdotes 14 April 13th 06 02:37 AM
Greeblings in the water supply? Sandy Cat anecdotes 5 July 3rd 05 03:38 AM
Pet Supply catalog ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 0 December 24th 04 08:49 PM
Pet supply store in Washington, DC offers 20% off rescues/shelters Katzle4301 Cat rescue 0 December 14th 04 09:13 PM