Daisy's early morning meowing and curtain destroying

Old October 2nd 03, 02:05 AM
Eyman

Default Daisy's early morning meowing and curtain destroying

Hi,

Ive have a kitten Daisy who is about 7 months old and is driving my wife and
I crazy by destroying our curtains, and meowing at the early hours of the
morning.

It all started a few months ago when daisy who used to sleep on our bed with
us decided to attack our new curtains in the bedroom. As these are sheer
curtains there are pulls and rips all throughout the curtains. Our solution
to this was to place a barrier to our bedroom to restrict Daisy's access
into the bedroom but letting her freely roam around the other parts of the
house.

This barrier has caused another problem. Daisy now gets up at 5:00-5:30am
and stands at the door barrier meowing continuously until we let her in.
Once she is in she goes straight for the curtains.

The problem is that we live in an apartment where we are not supposed to
have pets and eventually we may be found out by Daisy's meowing which can be
heard my neighbours who may also not appreciate the early wake up calls.

Once I get up and Im with Daisy she is fine. I think the meowing is wanting
to be with us rather than wanting to attack the curtains. Occasionally she
stands at the door while my wife is asleep meowing for her to get up as well
so she can be with both of us.

Daisy has numerous toys throughout the house and two scratching posts so I
dont think she is bored, she also is fed premium kitten biscuits and wet
food so her diet is fine. We have also tried ignoring her and spraying her
with water which has not worked. I have also placed barriers to the curtains
but she ends up finding a way to scale and rip the curtains.

I know that cats are nocturnal animals who are most activate in the late
evenings and early mornings, and I dont want to get rid of our curtains due
to privacy reasons.

My wife and I dont know what to do because as soon as the sun comes up she
is meowing, in the sense that Im up now so you need to get up as well. We
dont want to have to remove daisy due to apartment rules and we are getting
really tired from the early wake ups.

Input into a solution for this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eyman

Old October 2nd 03, 03:32 AM
Sandra Loosemore

"Eyman" writes:

Ive have a kitten Daisy who is about 7 months old and is driving my wife and
I crazy by destroying our curtains, and meowing at the early hours of the
morning.

It all started a few months ago when daisy who used to sleep on our bed with
us decided to attack our new curtains in the bedroom. As these are sheer
curtains there are pulls and rips all throughout the curtains. Our solution
to this was to place a barrier to our bedroom to restrict Daisy's access
into the bedroom but letting her freely roam around the other parts of the
house.

It sounds like Daisy has *already* trashed the curtains, so isn't it
rather too late to try putting the cat back into the bag, so to speak?
You might as well let her into the bedroom like she wants. You're
going to have to replace the ripped-up curtains eventually anyway, so
does it matter if they get ripped up some more first?

Is it possible that the attraction is just looking out the window and
not the curtains themselves, BTW? That's certainly true for my cats.
I have miniblinds rather than curtains; they're reasonably durable,
but I still have had to replace them from time to time as my cats keep
trying to climb *through* them to sit on the windowsill. So far I've
had better luck with the wooden blinds than the plastic or metal ones.
Anyway, you might be able to make the bedroom window less of a target
by making windows in other rooms more accessible or attractive for
hanging out in (by providing a window perch, for instance).

Generally, I've found that living with cats requires some adjustments
on my part, cat-proofing my house being one of the obvious ones.
Sometimes it's easier to let the cat train you than to tear your hair
out trying to train the cat to do something they just won't do.

Daisy has numerous toys throughout the house and two scratching posts so I
dont think she is bored, she also is fed premium kitten biscuits and wet
food so her diet is fine. We have also tried ignoring her and spraying her
with water which has not worked. I have also placed barriers to the curtains
but she ends up finding a way to scale and rip the curtains.

I know that cats are nocturnal animals who are most activate in the late
evenings and early mornings, and I dont want to get rid of our curtains due
to privacy reasons.

You can encourage your cat to sleep later in the morning by feeding
her right before you go to bed at night, instead of first thing in the
morning.

Here's another suggestion. One of my cats has occasional bouts of
morning "crazies" -- dashing all over the house chasing imaginary
critters, acting like she's a kitten again instead of a 15-year-old
senior citizen cat. It's worst in the spring and early summer when
the sun is up early. If I can't just roll over and ignore her and go
back to sleep, one thing that sometimes works to calm her down is to
catch her and bring her back to bed with me and cuddle with her a bit
while physically restraining her to prevent her from tearing off again
on another wild jag. Sometimes she isn't too happy about this
treatment, but when I let her go she usually just stalks off quietly
to recover her dignity.

-Sandra

Old October 2nd 03, 05:27 PM
Shawn & Michelle

Daisy might be needing something to scratch - do you have a scratching
post for her? Cats need to scratch to 1) exercise 2) trim their nails and
3) leave their scent to show that they 'own' the place. Daisy may be
trying to do these things - she doesn't know that she's destroying
something valuable!

Also, at 7 months old, she's still extremely active and needs a way to
exercise. I had kittens that climbed curtains also, but when they were
older - somewhere over a year old, they settled down quite a bit. So,
this is a phase she'll hopefully be outgrowing!

I agree with the previous message that she's lonely! She's up early
and wanting companionship. Or perhaps food. It's real hard to
train cats to have their needs met at different times than is natural
for them. Usually, us humans are the ones being trained! But, once
you settle into a routine, it'll be well worth the effort. Daisy will
offer you unconditional love and affection for years to come!

Michelle