Outdoor Shelter Suggestions?

Old February 24th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default Outdoor Shelter Suggestions?

We have a stray in our neighborhood who we are caring for. You cannot
get near him anyway :-( Unfortunately we are unable to take him in at
this time, due to finances and our other 5 kitties, one who was just Dx
with CRF.

It seems "Whitey" is living in a cement drain at the rear of our
property. Where he goes when it rains is anyone's best guess.
Fortunately living in Georgia, the winter has not been bad. Whitey gets
water and dry food outside the door daily. I assembled a cardboard box
with some towels inside to see if the cat would use this as shelter.
The oppusums have gone in to check it out, and Whitey will go in it
when I place the food inside, but he will not sleep there. Even in the
pouring rain :-(

For shelter..in that Dh is not a carpenter, we would need to invest up
to $100. Have done a little research online and would of course take
any suggestions here :-)
Is there a way to get Whitey to accept our offer of a dry place to
sleep if we make the investment?

Old February 24th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

do it your self dog house can be used it you want something permanent
put some hay down in the bottom of it for warmth. Since you want to invest
about a $100 the dog house is $70

you can use these as examples if you got the tools and the time probably
make one for less than $50

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...og +house&N=2

http://tinyurl.com/qlyzu

Old February 24th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

For shelter..in that Dh is not a carpenter, we would need to invest up
to $100. Have done a little research online and would of course take
any suggestions here :-)
Is there a way to get Whitey to accept our offer of a dry place to
sleep if we make the investment?

How about a dog house or something like that with hay put inside. Should
have a door in both the front and back though. If an animal at night tries
to come in one of the doors, the cat can run out the other.

LMR

Old February 25th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

You can also get two plastic totes, one larger than the other. Add a
layer of straw in between the two, packed tightlyu, and then cut a hole
in one end just big enough for the cat to get through, add more straw
as bedding and lid the inner tote, add more straw then snap the outer
lid in place. Place the "cat house/shelter" in a secluded spot with
the opening away from wind and preferable facing some sort of out
building. You can set a couple of concrete blocks on top to weight it
down. I'd also be selective to place it where it will be shaded during
the heat of the day.

To be a little inventive when cutting the "door" do not cut completely
though the outer tote and you can bend it upwards as a "roof" to help
keep rain out..

I made a similar "cat house" for a feral cat and also put his food
inside to keep others from getting it. It did not appear that he used
it for sleeping at first, but when I would open it to check the
bedding, etc, it was quite evident that the cat was sleeping in it.

Just a thought. Then you can use the remaining money to rent a trap
and have the cat fixed.

Hemma

Old March 16th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Dh relented in allowing us to take her in! See the story at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...a3d31b7c4bec/#

Thanks so much!

__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Resource Links for You About Your Cat

Old March 16th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

In article om,
"Arubalisa" wrote:

Dh relented in allowing us to take her in! See the story at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p..._frm/thread/b7
dda3d31b7c4bec/#

Thanks so much!

__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Resource Links for You About Your Cat

Wow, she really is show-cat gorgeous. Incredible that anyone would let
her go at all, much less abandon her declawed. Is she all white or does
she have other markings?
Old March 17th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Oh that beauty is not mine. It was posted by one of the other
respondents.
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Resource Links for You About Your Cat

Old March 17th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

I promise to post a picture of Whitey as soon as I can get her out of
her carrier long enough :-)

Old March 24th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Not very white, and my daughter changed the name to Snowy, but a
beautiful care nonetheless...
http://www.hoosierkitties.com/boys/snowy.htm
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Hoosier Kitties- Resource Links for You