Adios, ng

Old January 26th 05, 03:46 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"MacCandace" wrote in message
There was a message on AOL when I attempted to sign on the newsgroups

tonight
that AOL will be discontinuing newsgroups in early 2005 (it's early 2005

now,
if I'm not mistaken). I know I should dump AOL but I don't know if I

will. I
love rpchb and have since January of 1999. I know I can read it on Google

but
it won't be the same. What a drag. I'm sure it will just happen one

night out
of the blue so bye in advance...

Oh, no, no no! You can't go! (Hey, that rhymes! g) Use Google, ditch
AOL, something! But please don't leave...

Cathy

Old January 26th 05, 03:52 AM
MacCandace

Default Adios, ng

There was a message on AOL when I attempted to sign on the newsgroups tonight
that AOL will be discontinuing newsgroups in early 2005 (it's early 2005 now,
if I'm not mistaken). I know I should dump AOL but I don't know if I will. I
love rpchb and have since January of 1999. I know I can read it on Google but
it won't be the same. What a drag. I'm sure it will just happen one night out
of the blue so bye in advance...

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)
Old January 26th 05, 05:38 AM
Mary

"MacCandace" wrote in message
There was a message on AOL when I attempted to sign on the newsgroups

tonight
that AOL will be discontinuing newsgroups in early 2005 (it's early 2005

now,
if I'm not mistaken). I know I should dump AOL but I don't know if I

will.

Oh please. It is time to grow up! AOL is Internet with training wheels.
Ditch it.

Old January 26th 05, 06:00 AM
Mary

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

Oh, no, no no! You can't go! (Hey, that rhymes! g) Use Google, ditch
AOL, something! But please don't leave...

That too.

Old January 26th 05, 12:38 PM
Jean B.

MacCandace wrote:

There was a message on AOL when I attempted to sign on the newsgroups tonight
that AOL will be discontinuing newsgroups in early 2005 (it's early 2005 now,
if I'm not mistaken). I know I should dump AOL but I don't know if I will. I
love rpchb and have since January of 1999. I know I can read it on Google but
it won't be the same. What a drag. I'm sure it will just happen one night out
of the blue so bye in advance...

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Why don't you download a news reader and use news.individual.net?
--
Jean B.
Old January 26th 05, 01:42 PM
KellyH

"MacCandace" wrote in message
There was a message on AOL when I attempted to sign on the newsgroups
tonight
that AOL will be discontinuing newsgroups in early 2005 (it's early 2005
now,
if I'm not mistaken). I know I should dump AOL but I don't know if I
will. I
love rpchb and have since January of 1999. I know I can read it on Google
but
it won't be the same. What a drag. I'm sure it will just happen one
night out
of the blue so bye in advance...

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

Awww... don't leave!!
Are you using AOL dialup or AOL for broadband? If you are using dialup, you
will need to get another news server, such as Individual.Net. I just
started using them and it's great. All you do is go to news.individual.net
and ask for an account. In about a day, they will have you set up. If you
are using broadband, then your broadband ISP most likely has a news server.
For instance, if it's Comcast, the news server is news.comcast.net. You can
look at your ISP's website and find out what it is.
In either instance, you need to download a news reader or you may already
have one. If you have MS Office, then you do. In Outlook, go to View, Go
To, and News. You are now in Outlook Express! OE will walk you through the
steps of setting of your newsgroups.
Good Luck! I hope you stay.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 26th 05, 06:29 PM
yngver

Yes, there are lots of other ways that AOLers can access the
newsgroups, but the thing is, as Candace says, it's not the same. If
someone is like me and was accustomed to reading both the newsgroups
and the AOL message boards in pretty much the same way and place, it's
a bit of a hassle to start using a separate newsreader. I could also
use my ISP's newsreader, but Google is okay for now.

Candace, FYI the article I read said that AOL will drop Usenet in Feb.
2005, not that they bother to tell subscribers anything that precise.
Yes, I'm sure sometime next week you'll try to log on and it just won't
work anymore.

I used a newsreader for a couple of years before I got AOL, but I've
also been with AOL for many years. Yes, I should have dropped them long
ago but we are just lazy.

Old January 26th 05, 07:11 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-26, yngver penned:
Yes, there are lots of other ways that AOLers can access the newsgroups, but
the thing is, as Candace says, it's not the same. If someone is like me and
was accustomed to reading both the newsgroups and the AOL message boards in
pretty much the same way and place, it's a bit of a hassle to start using a
separate newsreader. I could also use my ISP's newsreader, but Google is
okay for now.

I think this is exactly the problem. AOL advertises itself as, well, frankly,
internet for dummies, or at least internet for people who don't want to be
bothered with having to configure things and choose programs. You install
it, and it should just work.

Yes, you *can* configure things to read usenet outside of AOL through the AOL
connection, but if you have to configure this kinds of stuff, why use AOL?

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old January 26th 05, 11:22 PM
yngver

You're right, although my husband and I are both IT professionals, I
signed up for AOL years ago just because a) it was easy to access from
mulitiple locations and b) I didn't have to exert much time or effort
to use it to read message boards and ngs. And you're right, if I do
have to go to extra effort now, there's not much reason to hang on to
AOL anymore. But I have had those email accounts for close to ten
years, so I'm a bit attached to them. Still, those plus the AOL message
boards are not worth $22.95 a month--and haven't been for a long time,
but I've just been too lazy to change.