Cats and birdwatchers would think this was heaven.

Old January 28th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Cats and birdwatchers would think this was heaven.

I live in north central California. And this time of year we are where all
the birds that flew south for the winter are hanging out. I know most of
the local year round and summer birds, but now I see birds almost daily that
I can't identify.

A few weeks ago I passed swans resting in flooded rice fields. Closer to
seven hundred than to seven. Wednesday a skein of geese flew over that
looked almost black from the ground. Larger than Canada geese. Today I saw
what I would imagine a collared dove to look like. Dove shaped and size.
Grey and brown body and head, with a white band around the neck. The only
dove I normally see here are the mourning doves.

Pheasant and quail, owls and hawks, cranes and herons are here year round.

We are having a very dry winter, so maybe that is why the birds seem to be
more around and visible. The big dog and cat water bowl out back with the
drip has been serving extra duty as a birdbath. Molly is across the street
stalking small furry things and Jake is napping a lot so they are pretty
safe. There are several wildlife refuges very close by but this year there
seems to be an abundance just on the fallow farmland.

Jo

Old January 28th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

Awwww, I remember a place where my mom's best friend lived, it was called
Quail Park. Somewhere in Southern California (must have been) since we
lived in Vista. We'd go to visit her and the quail were so pretty. We'd
walk on trails and scatter feed for them. Dad was in Vietnam then. Second
tour of duty. I was 7.

Jill

Old January 28th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
et...
[...]

This is what a collared dove looks like. Pinky-grey in colour with a black
band round the neck.
http://search.orange.co.uk/mediaredi...edDove(EK).jpg

Blimey, I didn't think the link would be that long!!

Tweed

Old January 29th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Christina Websell wrote:
et...

http://search.orange.co.uk/mediaredi...com&thumb=http