saying goodbye

Old July 12th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
fredsheck

Default saying goodbye

my kitty, ebony, is 25 years old. no lie. he was my cat when i was in high
school. I graduated in 1983, and left for college. he was loved and cared
for (obviously well) my my parents for the next two decades. my mom passed
in 2001, and when my dad died last september, he became my cat again.

anyway, it is pretty clear that he is dying now. he's had "spells" of
extreme lethargy/weakness would become bedridden for a few days every few
months, but each time he would wake up as if from a nice long nap and say,
"where's my breakfast?" well, he's been real sick now since saturday. i
took him in to the vet on sat. afternoon. i was told what i basically
already knew--that he was super sick (maybe advanced thyroid or maybe kidney
disease), blood/urine tests and subcutaneas fluids were suggested sort of as
an aside, but that he might die in the next room or maybe not, but he
probably wouldn't bounce back this time. of couse i was advised to have him
euthenized. i was not prepared to make that decision right then, so i took
him home.

he has been peaceful, it seems, since then. He responds, minimally, to
petting and being spoken to. He has meowed quietly just a few times, but
not crying or moaning. he is peaceful still, but just a flicker of life
remains. i have to go to work again now. please please tell me that this
is ok. he is in his bed in his home. he is not eating or drinking. I
sense that he is dying, that he is peaceful and not suffering much, if any.
in another thread in this group, "toni" said:

.. . .take her home, watch her, and look deeply into her eyes when you talk
to her. She will tell you when she is ready to go.

A calm humane death (at home IMO) is the last great gift you will ever be
able to give her . . .

this feels calm, and i hope it is humane. but it is really tearing me up. i
know others out there have been there. thanks for your thoughts and
prayers.

Old July 12th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:46:10 -0700, "fredsheck"
wrote:

[...]

If Ebony seems to be suffering, remember that vets make housecalls for
euthanasia. He can die at home without any pain.
Old July 12th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Something I hold in my heart we lost our precious a few months ago she was
almost 20. I am sorry for your loss

Always remember We will be there even if you can't see us.
We are always Watching and Waiting. That cool puff of air you
feel across your cheek, that fleeting touch, the feeling you have
that I was walking across your bed, that moment you swear you can
hear us, that flicker of movement out of the corner of your eye.
Is just our way of saying I love you and I am with you always even
in the darkest time We Will Always Be There. Till our paws touch again
always know we love you and cherished our special time together

A Prayer for Animals

Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends the animals,
especially for animals who are suffering;
for animals that are overworked, underfed and cruelly treated;
for all wistful creatures in captivity that beat their wings against bars;
for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry;
for all that must be put death.
We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity,
and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion
and gentle hands and kindly words.
Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals,
and so to share the blessings of the merciful.
by Albert Schweitzer

Old July 13th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

fredsheck wrote:

A calm humane death (at home IMO) is the last great gift you will ever be
able to give her . . .

I don't how many people have actually witnessed a peaceful death at
home, but I have witnessed one death without vet assistance. Jasper
died in my arms at 3:06 am on July 11, 2000. Six years ago. And I burst
into tears everytime I think about that horrible night.

I knew when I got home from work that night that he was far worse and
might not make it through the night. Back then, we didn't have a 24
hour vet available, so I was hoping he would last long enough to be at
the vet when it opened. I held him him and loved him. He convulsed for
half an hour, vomiting on himself. He was either aware and in in pain,
or so out of it that he would not have known I was there. Either way is
painful for me to accept. I feel so horrible that he suffered like
that. The one thing I learned from that situation is that we do them a
great kindness by having them euthanized by a vet. They can die
peacefully, and they know we love them as we hold them in their last
moments.

I have made the decision to euthanize two cats and one dog. I felt a
little guilty about the first, wondering if I had waited for the right
time or could have done more. But after losing Jasper, I don't feel
guilty about the choice to euthanize them. It is only the one I did NOT
make the choice for, that I feel guilty about, and that is while
knowing I could not have done anything at that time of night anyway.

If you are waiting for that "peaceful death at home", please know that
it may not be peaceful at all.

I've had 3 cats and a dog all die in my arms. Three of them were
relaxed and died peacefully. They were well worth the vet costs.
Comparing those to to Jasper, I would never ever consider just waiting
for them to die at home. If their quailty of life is gone, this is your
last gift that you can give to them, and it will spare you some bad
memories too.

Old July 13th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deeanna

hi. It has taken me some time to respond to this because I lost my
beloved kitty Rocky last July and I still grieve. He was with me 16 of
my 20 years in the Navy, he was from Naples, Italy and he travelled
with me across both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

As soon as I started reading your post, I started crying because I know
all too well how you feel. I believe what you are doing is the right
thing, providing Ebony is not suffering. At least you will be able to
say good-bye to him, which is very impotant for you. I was not able to
say good-bye to Rocky because he passed away at the vet where he had
been for four days, over a weekend. I did not go visit him on Saturday
because I did not want to upset him, but now I am eaten up with guilt
because I did not go. He passed away the following day and I did not
find out until Monday morning when I went to the vet to see how he was
responding to the treatment. The words that vet tech said to me are
just as clear as now as they were a year ago. If I had it to do over
again, I would not have taken him in. He was not in pain either,
although he had quit eating and was moving really slow. I had him
cremated, as I have had all of my cats, and two hamsters, and the
clinic held his ashes hostage until we paid our bill in full. My
husband even offered to pay for the ashes alone and pay the remainder
of the bill a day or two later, but they refused.

Please do not feel guilty for keeping him home. He is comfortable at
home and with someone who loves him very much and whom he loves as
well. He will be grateful to be home and in familiar, quiet
surroundings instead of in a cage in a loud, strange place.

When he does pass away, you are going to be ever so heartbroken.
Surrounding yourself with fellow animal lovers who have been in your
shoes will help a great deal. Even though I had to go to work after I
found about Rocky, I was comforted somewhat by knowing that my
co-workers understood what I was going through. Before I went to work,
I went home and got out a bunch of pictures of Rocky and put them in a
photo album so I could look at him in all the various places we lived
and all the things he got into and it actually helped ease the sadness.
The five babies I had remaining also helped me a great deal as well,
as did the two we adopted to replace the empty space in our home Rocky
left behind.

It would help you a great deal if you can find a support group to talk
to as well. There are many on the internet or, if you like, you could
start one. I'm sure many of us will be here for you when the time
comes. I know I will be.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Deeanna

Old July 13th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bttngl

Location: North Miami, FL USA
Send a message via AIM to Bttngl Send a message via Yahoo to Bttngl

Matthew wrote:
[...]

bttngl wrote:
THAT's BEAUTIFUL!! Both of them!! Matthew, God bless you in Your
loss.

"fredsheck" wrote in message:
my kitty, ebony, is 25 years old. no lie..... . my mom passed
in 2001, and when my dad died last september, he became my cat again.

bttngl wrote:
Fred, I am very sorry for the loss of your parents, God have mercy on
you in
your sorrow and give you strength.

Fred wrote:
i was advised to have him euthenized. i was not prepared to make that
decision right then, so i took him home....

this feels calm, and i hope it is humane. but it is really tearing me up.
i know others out there have been there. thanks for your thoughts and
prayers.

bttngl wrote:
It is SO hard to watch one so sick and it is SO hard to watch one be
"put down".
When "the time" comes where the cat is suffering and hope is gone, with
humans
we have little choice but to keep suffering until our time comes
naturally. Whereas
with animals when all possibility of survival is gone, a painless
release is offered.

It would be so nice to drift away in a soft sound sleep as a human
being when our time
comes, NATURALLY. However, it does not always come in the master "plan"
it seems. People "pass away" in all sorts of manners of ways and times
of life. And, so it is with
animals.

Do you have pain medication to ease the suffering of your cat? If
mine was able to be
kept FREE from PAIN, and still take nourishment and do what she has to
do, even with
help. I too could NOT put her down. As long as she was NOT suffering
in intractable
PAIN. An elderly cat has arthritis and aches and pains like humans do,
are there meds
for such?

I really am touched by your pain and anguish and all and hope you find
peace of heart,
laughter and JOY back in your life soon.....bttngl

Old July 13th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Bttngl" wrote in message
ups.com...

bttngl wrote:
THAT's BEAUTIFUL!! Both of them!! Matthew, God bless you in Your
loss.

The first one was wrote by myself to add to the rainbow bridge poem which I
thought was incomplete
a friend from another cat group has it posted on his website I did it when
I was know as No More Retail for my display name
http://members.shaw.ca/black-sky/rainbow-bridge.html

the other I saw posted on my vets wall and it is one I will always remember

Old July 13th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Matthew,

Every time I read the first one I cry--it's beautifully written. Thank you
for sharing it with us.

Bonnie

"Matthew" wrote in message

"Bttngl" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 13th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

I wrote it from my heart that is how I truly feel about my children with
four legs they mean the world to me and I will do what ever it takes to
makes sure they have a long and healthy life with me.

"22brix" wrote in message
Matthew,

Every time I read the first one I cry--it's beautifully written. Thank
you for sharing it with us.

Bonnie

"Matthew" wrote in message

"Bttngl" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 13th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

I know what you mean--I don't have kids and my cats and dogs are my
children. What's hard to take is their shorter life-span--you end up
grieving over and over again. And it really doesn't get any easier. Bonnie

"22brix" wrote in message
Matthew,

Every time I read the first one I cry--it's beautifully written. Thank
you for sharing it with us.

Bonnie

"Matthew" wrote in message

"Bttngl" wrote in message
ups.com...

bttngl wrote:
THAT's BEAUTIFUL!! Both of them!! Matthew, God bless you in Your
loss.

The first one was wrote by myself to add to the rainbow bridge poem
which I thought was incomplete
a friend from another cat group has it posted on his website I did it
when I was know as No More Retail for my display name
http://members.shaw.ca/black-sky/rainbow-bridge.html

the other I saw posted on my vets wall and it is one I will always
remember

Goodbye Q Niel Humphreys Cat health & behaviour 11 May 15th 06 10:00 AM
Saying goodbye to my heart Blu Cat health & behaviour 38 December 20th 05 03:58 PM
Goodbye, Frank Adrian Cat anecdotes 23 December 12th 05 04:11 PM
Goodbye my Beloved Giants Bev Cat anecdotes 28 March 2nd 04 10:44 PM
Goodbye, dear Lucy Girl... onlyTwoSeemsSoFewCats Cat community 44 November 8th 03 03:19 AM