litter box training a ferel

Old March 4th 05, 02:53 PM
Shadow Walker

Did the vet suggest against her being with your cat? I thought even though
there is a shot for prventing feline leukemia that there was a small chance
of getting it.
Did you have her tested for FIP and FIV? I'm sorry I just worry, I foster
and do not let any of my fosters into my population without all the testing.

Shadow Walker

"bill zwick via CatKB.com" wrote in message
happy to report our new cat, formerly a ferel, has adapted thanks to the
help everyone gave . a little worried, took her to the vet and he tells me
she has a "touch of feline leukemia" and wanted to know if i "wanted to
keep her". I,m keeping her. Can't touch her but she walks around without
fear, eats, butt heads the dogs, ignores the other cat we have, lays in

the
middle of the floor ignoring the pillows and uses the litter box. she was
kept in the dog crate for ten days, slept under a bed for two . it was
tricking getting her into the cat carrier for the vet visit, in 30 days

she
goes back for another blood test and to be spayed. thanks again to all the
good advise, appreciated. bill

Old March 4th 05, 07:31 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

"bill zwick via CatKB.com" wrote:

happy to report our new cat, formerly a ferel, has adapted thanks to the
help everyone gave . a little worried, took her to the vet and he tells me
she has a "touch of feline leukemia" and wanted to know if i "wanted to
keep her". I,m keeping her. Can't touch her but she walks around without
fear, eats, butt heads the dogs, ignores the other cat we have, lays in the
middle of the floor ignoring the pillows and uses the litter box. she was
kept in the dog crate for ten days, slept under a bed for two . it was
tricking getting her into the cat carrier for the vet visit, in 30 days she
goes back for another blood test and to be spayed. thanks again to all the
good advise, appreciated. bill

Uh, I've never heard of having "a touch" of feline leukemia. Is your
other cat vaccinated?

Priscilla
Old March 5th 05, 04:51 PM
bill zwick via CatKB.com

Priscilla, Shadow walker:

the vet gave her fvrcp, rabies and did the felv/fiv test. the only one I
understand is the rabies. no idea what fvrcp is. he showed me the test, an
instrument which had what i assumed was a test strip. on it was a very
small blue spot at the side which he said indicated a "touch of feline
luekemia". he said some cats can "throw the virus off" and to bring her
back in 30 days for retesting. Our other cat has had her shots is due again
in May. "Cali" , our ferrel, is adapting to inside living, sleeps in the
living room, likes to watch our canaries, uses the litter box, eats and
when in the mood head butts the dogs. as yet we can't touch her. I'm
concerned about her and don't feel i could have her "put down" . really
dont know what to do. thank you for your advice. Bill

Old March 5th 05, 09:45 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"bill zwick via CatKB.com" wrote:

Priscilla, Shadow walker:

the vet gave her fvrcp, rabies and did the felv/fiv test. the only one I
understand is the rabies. no idea what fvrcp is. he showed me the test, an
instrument which had what i assumed was a test strip. on it was a very
small blue spot at the side which he said indicated a "touch of feline
luekemia". he said some cats can "throw the virus off" and to bring her
back in 30 days for retesting.

OK. Gotcha. Yes, with good nutrition and care she could knock the
virus out. False positives are also possible.

Our other cat has had her shots is due again
in May. "Cali" , our ferrel, is adapting to inside living, sleeps in the
living room, likes to watch our canaries, uses the litter box, eats and
when in the mood head butts the dogs. as yet we can't touch her. I'm
concerned about her and don't feel i could have her "put down" . really
dont know what to do. thank you for your advice. Bill

Sounds like you're doing fine. Patience. Get her associating you with
food, and watch out she doesn't bond to the other animals and not to
you. I would recommend isolation away from all non-human wildlife until
she's adjusted more to you. (Try treats like bits of chicken or
sardines in a saucer which each day you move closer to yourself.) When
I socialized Sebbie the expression "Stockholm syndrome" kept going
through my mind, because in a sense I had kidnapped him and was holding
him hostage while I got him to associate me with the source of all good
things. An evil thing to do to a person, but a good thing when done to
a feral. Life isn't simple, is it? ;-)

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we