[OT] Splenda?

Old May 19th 05, 06:19 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] Splenda?

Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?
I've been using it and I like the taste, but then decided to do a web search
on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info than I'd bargained for. Of course
there's all kind of panic-making misinformation to be had on the web, so
some of it is sure to hit home when they start talking about the medical
problems it causes. I'm trying to find out from anyone who may have had
personal experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old May 19th 05, 06:25 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

CatNipped wrote:
Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda
(Sucralose)? I've been using it and I like the taste, but then
decided to do a web search on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info
than I'd bargained for. Of course there's all kind of panic-making
misinformation to be had on the web, so some of it is sure to hit
home when they start talking about the medical problems it causes. I'm
trying to find out from anyone who may have had personal
experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?
--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I've only used it in resteraunts (the few that provide it), and in iced tea.
I did notice that it is sweeter than regular sugar (3 packets of Splends is
way more sweeter than 3 packets of regular sugar - thank god waitress came &
refilled my half-empty glass with unsweetened tea and evened it out some
)

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 19th 05, 07:18 PM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?
I've been using it and I like the taste, but then decided to do a web
search on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info than I'd bargained for. Of
course there's all kind of panic-making misinformation to be had on the
web, so some of it is sure to hit home when they start talking about the
medical problems it causes. I'm trying to find out from anyone who may
have had personal experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

Personally, I think much is overinflation of real situation. Like many a
food stuff, moderation is the key. Sugar has it's bad effects on health
too... diabetes... rotting teeth...Indeed, over on this side of the pond,
artificial sweeteners including Splenda are encouraged for diabetics.
Example - see

http://www.sndri.gcal.ac.uk/pdf/diab...althiereat.pdf

Remember the Alar on apples scare?

Cheers, helen s

Old May 19th 05, 07:29 PM
jmcquown

"wafflycat" waffles*AT*v21net*DOT*co*DOT*uk wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Not to eggs are bad for you. No, wait, eggs aren't that bad. Oh yes, they
are. No, wait, they aren't. Don't get me started on nitrites in bacon.
Don't eat bacon! But wait, Atkins said to eat a pound of it at one sitting!

If we all worried about every little thing we ate we'd be so skinny we'd
slip sideways through cracks in doorways. THEN we'd have to worry about
being accused of burgling someone's home because we could slip through the
cracks! (chuckling)

Jill

Old May 19th 05, 07:31 PM
jmcquown

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Not to MENTION eggs are bad for you. No, wait, eggs aren't that bad. Oh

Old May 19th 05, 08:39 PM
Hopitus

I can't touch the stuff w/a ten-foot-pole. I don't care what it's made out
of; eating any food sweetened w/Splenda gives me - within a few hours -
severe ab
cramps and glued to bathroom throne for duration of overnight hours.For some
reason, all the d***** "no
sugar added" ice cream (not the frozen yogurt, thank God) is laced w/it as
if it were the solution to world peace. You asked, I told.

Old May 19th 05, 08:49 PM
CatNipped

"Hopitus" wrote in message
I can't touch the stuff w/a ten-foot-pole. I don't care what it's made out
of; eating any food sweetened w/Splenda gives me - within a few hours -
severe ab
cramps and glued to bathroom throne for duration of overnight hours.For
some reason, all the d***** "no
sugar added" ice cream (not the frozen yogurt, thank God) is laced w/it as
if it were the solution to world peace. You asked, I told.

Well, one of the reasons I asked was because of the intestinal problems I've
been reading about (not to mention the effects on animal testing: Shrunken
thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage), Enlarged liver and kidneys, Atrophy of
lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus, Increased cecal weight, Reduced
growth rate, Decreased red blood cell count, Hyperplasia of the pelvis,
Extension of the pregnancy period, Aborted pregnancy, Decreased fetal body
weights and placental weights, and Diarrhea I've seen mentioned on numerous
sites).

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration" lately,
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in
each cup. Well, OK, coffee is made from beans and beans have been known to
cause this problem, so am I just full of hot air??? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 19th 05, 09:01 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in

Dumb question. Why do you drink coffee if you don't like it? The
caffeine? Have you tried green tea? It's got caffeine and it's good for you!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 19th 05, 09:17 PM
CatNipped

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in

Dumb question. Why do you drink coffee if you don't like it? The caffeine?
Have you tried green tea? It's got caffeine and it's good for you!

Yes, but not to "wake me up". I have ADHD and any stimulant I take actually
calms me down and makes me more "focused". There's also the benefit of just
drinking something hot that will keep me from being hungry all the time (my
metabolism is so out of whack that I feel hungry even after eating!).

I haven't tried hot tea just because it's not as readily available (there's
always a pot of coffee going at the office). I'll have to get some and see
about getting a set-up going at the new office (we're moving to our new
"Executive Suite" in about 4 weeks - at least that will help *one* aspect of
my lousy job, I won't be working in a depot at the Port of Houston and being
run off the road by 18 wheelers at least twice a week).

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 19th 05, 09:24 PM
Noon Cat Nick

CatNipped wrote:

Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?
I've been using it and I like the taste, but then decided to do a web search
on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info than I'd bargained for. Of course
there's all kind of panic-making misinformation to be had on the web, so
some of it is sure to hit home when they start talking about the medical
problems it causes. I'm trying to find out from anyone who may have had
personal experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

From http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html:

Splenda, also known as sucralose, is an artificial sweetener, which is a
chlorinated sucrose derivative. Facts about this artificial chemical are
as follows:

Pre-Approval Research
Pre-approval research showed that sucralose caused shrunken thymus
glands (up to 40% shrinkage) and enlarged liver and kidneys.

Recent Research
A possible problem with caecal enlargement and renal mineralization has
been seen in post approval animal research.

Sucralose Breaks Down
Despite the manufacturer's mis-statements, sucralose does break down
into small amounts of 1,6-dichlorofructose, a chemical which has not
been adequtely tested in humans. More importantly, sucralose must break
down in the digestive system. If it didn't break down and react at all
(as the manufacturer claims), it would not chemically-react on the
tongue to provide a sweet taste. The truth is that sucralose does break
down to some extent in the digestive system.

Independent, Long-Term Human Research
None. Manufacturer's "100's of studies" (some of which show hazards)
were clearly inadequate and do not demonstrate safety in long-term use.

Chlorinated Pesticides
The manufacturer claims that the chlorine added to sucralose is similar
to the chlorine atom in the salt (NaCl) molecule. That is not the case.
Sucralose may be more like ingesting tiny amounts of chlorinated
pesticides, but we will never know without long-term, independent human research.

Conclusion
While it is unlikely that sucralose is as toxic as the poisoning people
are experiencing from Monsanto's aspartame, it is clear from the hazards
seen in pre-approval research and from its chemical structure that years
or decades of use may contribute to serious chronic immunological or
neurological disorders.

There are natural sweeteners that make excellent sugar substitutes. My
favorite is lo han fruit extract, sold as SlimSweet or other brand
names. Xylitol and stevia are also very good substitutes, and are less
expensive than SlimSweet. You can usually find them at your nearest
health food store, or you can order them off the WWW. See:

lo han (SlimSweet) - http://www.lifesvigor.com/prod/15579/
xylitol - http://www.xylitol.org/
stevia - http://www.healthy.net/nutrit/kitchen/foods/stevia.asp