10-mo-old kitten always hungry...any tips?

Old March 28th 10, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dave

Default 10-mo-old kitten always hungry...any tips?

I adopted him at 12 weeks, so he's had plenty of food available since then.
I would have thought that by now he'd have adjusted to the fact that he's
not going to go hungry. But he always wants to eat, and when I put food
down he's very eager for it, as though he hasn't eaten in days. He's
perfectly healthy--no parasites or anything like that. I'd be happy to feed
him as much as he wants, but he's getting fat.

I give him good food. For canned he was eating Fancy Feast, which is a
recommended by my vet as well as vets that friends of mine use. For dry,
it's Natural Balance (Dick Van Patten's brand). A few weeks ago I tried
switching to dry only, hoping that, since it's easier to scarf down the
canned food, the extra time it might take him to eat the kibble might allow
him to feel full, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

I'm trying to gradually reduce his daily intake--or even hold it steady--but
he is just always hungry. Any tips? Thx

-Dave

Old March 28th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Has the kitty been checked for worms? If a kitten is ever hungry, I am not
sure they get over it. We have several on here who go into fits if they see
the bottom of their food dish.

Old March 28th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dave

Granby wrote:
Has the kitty been checked for worms? If a kitten is ever hungry, I
am not sure they get over it. We have several on here who go into
fits if they see the bottom of their food dish.

As I said, he's perfectly healthy. He was wormed on his first vet visit,
and hasn't been outside since. (And his stool is worm-free.)

All the other cats I've had over the years have been strays, and none of
them has had the same voracious appetite. And they were all much older when
I adopted them; that is, access to plentiful food came later for them.

Old March 29th 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

he might just be in a growth spurt... if it were me i would let him eat as
much as he wanted until the next scheduled vet visit then ask if his weight
is ok, if it is then he is eating properly for him, since you say you
haven't had one this young this might be kitten growing eating, you might
also try getting him some kmr to see if that helps, and at that age kitten
food is a must for the calories, soft

Old March 29th 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dave

I can tell just by looking at him that he's overweight. He's not obese, but
he's shaped a little more like a football than he ought to be. If I let him
eat as much as he wants, he'll look like a basketball soon.

It's not that I haven't had one this young. I just never adopted one at 12
wks before; earliest was about 6 mos.

Old March 29th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

watch him, the foot ball shape immediately preceeds a growth event, you look
and sudenly the kitten is much longer than you remember from yesterday, or
much taller depending... if he is eating too much then there is something
going on health wise even if you think there isn't, soft

Old March 29th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
meOwy

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

-Dave- Hide quoted text -

He is purrbly a boy, hoo eetz a wot becuz da boys gitz sew big. Dat
wat I gnotissed mine broffur doin. Eetin a wot an gittin furry big.
An den I cud gnot deefeet him ennymor. Hmmmf.
Meowy, a dayntee grrl