can clavimox kill a cat?

Old November 25th 03, 06:41 PM
lakinapook

Default can clavimox kill a cat?

On Friday evening we brought her to the vet because of a urinary
problem, they kept her overnight, and then released her the next day
with clavamox (an antibiotic) to give twice a day. Saturday seemed to
go OK, she wasn't exactly energetic, but no one was really expecting
her to be anyway. Then yesterday she started having coordination
problems, she began urinating on herself, she couldn't breath, she
started having watery defecation, and we drove like 90 miles an hour
to the vet, but she expired right before we got there. My BF was
devastated, as was I. She was only 10 years old, and the vet said that
it sounded like a heart attack, and that she had a pre-existing heart
problem (a heart murmer to be exact).

It seemed strange that this should happen so quickly after I had
brought her to the vet for another problem, that I decided to look up
the medication that they gave her to see what it said about side
effects. Well, any type of antibiotic that has amoxycillan (not sure
of spelling) is to be administered with the utmost of caution in an
animal with a heart condition!

I think very highly of my vet, but I think that they might have
missed the ball on this one. It cost $435.00 for the initial visit,
and now it is going to cost another $135.00 for the cremation. If they
were lax and this could have been prevented I am going to expect a
refund of my money. It isn't the money, because no amount of money is
going to make me feel better, but I really hate the idea that I might
have paid them to kill my cat.
Old November 25th 03, 06:55 PM
Sherry

t seemed strange that this should happen so quickly after I had
brought her to the vet for another problem, that I decided to look up
the medication that they gave her to see what it said about side
effects. Well, any type of antibiotic that has amoxycillan (not sure
of spelling) is to be administered with the utmost of caution in an
animal with a heart condition!

I think very highly of my vet, but I think that they might have
missed the ball on this one. It cost $435.00 for the initial visit,
and now it is going to cost another $135.00 for the cremation. If they
were lax and this could have been prevented I am going to expect a
refund of my money. It isn't the money, because no amount of money is
going to make me feel better, but I really hate the idea that I might
have paid them to kill my cat.

I am so sorry about your cat. I know it was devastating to lose her that way. I
know it's too late now, but if something like that ever happens again,
sometimes it's worth the money to have a complete necropsy done by an
independent vet just to settle the unanswered questions. Again, you have my
complete sympathy.

Sherry

Old November 25th 03, 07:35 PM
Wendy

"lakinapook" wrote in message
om...
[...]

So very sorry about your cat.

I don't know about the antibiotic. Did the vet give her the antibiotic
overnight while she was admitted? If he did, he may have observed her and
thought she was doing ok on it.

You said she was there for urinary track problems. The symptoms you describe
are identical to what my Ralf had when he died with kidney failure. I wonder
if her kidneys just gave out?

We spent over $600 for tests and treatment but there was nothing to be done.
He was only 8.

Without an autopsy you'll never really know.

Again so sorry. It's so hard when we lose them.

Wendy

Old November 26th 03, 04:16 PM
lakinapook

Well, I don't actually know if they gave her clavamox during the
night, but I did forget to mention in my original post that when we
went to pick her up she was breathing really rapidly, and didn't look
good. We called the vet technician out from behind the desk to take a
look at her and she said that Moosh was probably just having anxiety.
I have since discovered that the rapid breathing should have been a
tip off that she needed to be looked at more closely, and that it is a
symptom that shouldn't be ignored. I just feel terrible, because I
didn't think it was right, but I went along with what the tech said
because it was a saturday and I had a lot of things to do and was
anxious to get out of the vets office. I figured I was just being
silly.

Old November 26th 03, 05:27 PM
Karen Chuplis

I don't think my vet would even have considered release with the cat like
that. I think you should find a new vet.
Karen