13 yr old male cat had a stroke--is there any hope?

Old December 1st 03, 05:19 PM
Chris

Default 13 yr old male cat had a stroke--is there any hope?

Hi folks,

My 13 yr old male cat Socrates had what the vet said looked like a
stroke this morning. He looked terrible, could barely pick up his
head, drooling, panting and bellows like he's in pain. He seemed to be
ok the last few days and appears to be in otherwise good health (being
a papmered indoor cat).

The vet was gave me 2 options:

1) put him down

2) try some treatment with IV fluids and Cortisone and "shock
treatment"

I chose option 2, of course.

He said I should hear from him in about 6 hours...

From the posting I've seen on the subject many cats can go on to live
past this. Is there any hope?

Thank you,
Chris
Old December 2nd 03, 12:58 AM
Sherry

Oh, golly. What is shock treatment? My Cherokee had a stroke at 13 also. He
recovered very well and was put on an aspirin regime, recovered and lived to be
17. I hope your kitty does as well. Please keep us posted.

Sherry

Old December 2nd 03, 02:34 AM
Chris Grenard

Very sorry to say Socrates did not make it. He was really damaged
by a blood clot which caused a stroke. He lost all of his sense of where and
who he was. He
didn't respond to treatment and was suffering so I laid him to rest.

Thanks for your kind words and wishes.

Old December 2nd 03, 02:46 AM
Linda E

My condolences on your loss.

Linda

Old December 2nd 03, 02:46 AM
Linda E

My condolences on your loss.

Linda

Old December 2nd 03, 03:35 AM
Mary

"Chris Grenard" wrote in message
et...
Very sorry to say Socrates did not make it. He was really damaged
by a blood clot which caused a stroke. He lost all of his sense of

where and
who he was. He
didn't respond to treatment and was suffering so I laid him to rest.

Thanks for your kind words and wishes.

Ahhh, gad, Chris I am so sorry. You will hurt for a long time, and you
will miss your Socrates. I ache for you.