Maine-Coon wanderer

Old December 2nd 03, 12:16 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Stuart" wrote in message
om...
Is there any way to refrain our cat from wandering too far.. I'm
thinking theres probably little you can do to control how far your cat
wanders - but it is a worry when he is gone for the biggest part of
the day, and always relief to see him show up later on.
You could say that so long as he keeps turning up ~ don't worry, it's
the day he doesnt turn up I'm concerned about.
I'd love to follow him or track him ~ and see just where or how far he
goes!
He's aprox between 1 & 2 years old - a Maine Coon - though from other
postings I see here - we can't be certain - he does however have ALL
the characteristics.
He came to us only recently as a stray - and this is perhaps another
reason, I get concerned at his wanderings ~ having found an amazing
cat - I'd hate to lose him.
We did advertise the find all over the place - inc' all nearby and
wider are Vets, plus a lost n found pet web site - but no-one came
forward, and we never spotted any "lost" notices.
So he's here with us and all I can say is he's a constant source of
"everything", an amazing animal... and it seems ~ still quite a bit of
growing to do! just weighing in at just under 9lbs at present.
(reply in NG ~ email address this came with doesnt work)

I realize that indoor-outdoor cats are the general standard in the UK, &
that screened-in porches (& windows) aren't. But, if you're concerned about
his wanderings, would you consider turning him into an inside cat? Or is
there a way you could screen in an area adjacent to the house, so that he
could have fresh air & see the sights, yet be safe? (There are often kits
for special cat enclosures at the backs of cat magazines, in the advertising
section.)

At almost 9 pounds, he most likely isn't a Maine Coon - although he may well
partly be. And, AFAIK, Maine Coons often aren't fully grown till 2 years
old - so he may have a ways to go yet. My parents adopted a *tiny* stray
kitten when he was just a few weeks old. He grew & grew & grew - turned out
to be an 18 pound Maine Coon. This cat could stand on the kitchen floor &
reaching up, his paws could reach the (standard 36" high) countertops.
Maine Coons are very big cats - not only in weight, but in matching
frame/bone structure. And their tails are typically as long as their body
length.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old December 2nd 03, 02:03 AM
Alison

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Stuart ,
I'd be surprised if he's a Main coon , I doubt if there are many
wandering around the UK.BG They're *very * large US farm cats .
Did you get him checked for a microchip? If he's not been
microchipped I suggest you get him done ASAP. The Vet will do it but
it's cheaper at the RSPCA .

How far he goes might depend on where you live. Young neutered
males cats will go further than older female spayed cats and country
cats will go much further than a city or urban cat . If you live in
the suburbs he might only visit a few gardens or go up to one or two
hundred yards.
My own cat doesn't go far , she has a lot to interest her in my own
garden , bird feeders , mice in the shed and the guinea pigs to play
with . I feed her 4 times a day so she's always within ear shot and I
don't let her out at night . I had Kim microchiped , it gives me peace
of mind . All vets and rescues check stray cats for them
Have you tried following him ? He might not go as far as you think
, cats tend to snooze a lot . He might be kipping in cosy hedge in
the neighbours garden . BG
Alison

Old December 2nd 03, 02:11 PM
Jeannie

I think it all depends on what kind of area you live in. If you live in a
city or very urban area with lots of roads, I would only let him out while I
was in and would watch him when he did go out. Having said that, if he was a
stray, he must have some road / common sense or he wouldn't still be around
but I would still be inclined to be a bit careful.#

If you live somewhere more rural, I wouldn't worry, cat's can generally take
care of themselves and as long as your feeding him and looking after him he
will probably keep coming back to your house. If you take this option
though, I would definately get him microchipped and I would also put a
collar on him with your telephone number on it.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in this NG tom cats tend to wander less
when they have been neutered (or is it spayed for a tom, I can never
remember) so that might help.

Jeannie

Old December 3rd 03, 05:17 PM
Tracy

Hi Stuart,

I have a to-all-appearances part Maine Coon girl whose about 18 months
and yes, they can be the most wonderful of cats. She's been a total
joy!

Cats who have the traits/temperament of a Maine Coon do like to go
outside. It's that simple. They're smart cats and great hunters, have
a heck of a fur coat on, and IMHO really crave the mental stimulation.
They get really bored with the house and cat trees and toys after a
while :

I'm in the states, in a fairly small townish atmosphere and yes, I let
her go outside and yes, it's nervewracking. There are some things you
can do to mitigate the danger somewhat. Firstly, it's important that
the cat be bonded to you and the house strongly. When you can, try to
spend some time outdoors with cat in the yard, playing or petting or
just being a part of the cats day. Try encouraging the cat to stay in
sight of you while you're outside and not to run off. Try to have
regular mealtimes when the cat is expected to show up for wet food,
treats or something else the cat thinks is yummy. They have incredible
clocks in their head and really will show up on the dime. Keep the cat
indoors at night and close the door or window at a trap at the same
time every night so a schedule is established. Try to train the cat to
come when you call it and then do so once or twice a day - not to lock
the cat up necessarily, but sometimes just to say hi or give him a
treat, so he'll associate comming when you call to nice things
happening. And if the cat goes near the road in your eyesight,
defintely express upset and concern. They are smart enough to see what
makes you unhappy.

You don't want to have an outdoor cat, you want to have an
indoor/outdoor cat, so try as best you can to make outdoors a "part"
of life, not the only part.
And of course, make a really big deal when the cat returns - I always
welcome mine with a big hug and a treat :

Good luck!

Old December 5th 03, 09:46 AM
Stuart

Mnay thanks to all the responses ~
yep I'm happy for him to be more of an indoor Puss,
the environment we're in is semi-rural, in so far as at the back of
the section it's open land ~ lot's of long grass, with a scattering of
trees - definitely the place for hunting!!
I'v never spottet him go anywhere toward the street side - only once
was he in the front garden half way toward it, and I was quick to call
him over and take him elsewhere, and give him a talk about where to be
and where not to be -I doubt he understood ~ but ya never know
When he comes home he get's a warm welcome ~ and also gives it in
response ~ he's more settled with our other two 5 year old cats,
actually correction there, I should say THEIR becoming more used to
him! never had a fight - just the occasional "getting too close" and
get's a hisSs, but he comes in and settles down to a feed, smooches
up, makes himself comfortable ~ amazing to see him sleep and
stretching out to his full length ~ often on his back, enjoys a good
petting - not the kind of cat you can pat once in passing and walk
away - he wants plenty! and playful ~ I suspect he's nearer the one
year old than 2.
and 9 lbs (just short of 5 kilo's) "might" be about right for a "Coon"
but yeah.. maybe only 'part' perhaps - his tail - as bushy as it is
is not quite the same length as his body. But if he IS ~ I'm looking
forward to taking him for a walk one day ~ ha~ it'll be a sight to
see!
I'm amazed at his fur - so amazingly soft! the loose stuff doesnt
just rub off and fall tothe floor like the other two.. this floats off
into the air!
and yep - I'm very pleased he chose our house to move into. and as
much as I know what it'd be like for someone to lose such a Puss as
this - and could be missing him - it's equaly as surprising that
no-one has come forward - specially since we informed all the local
and wider are vets. but - these things happen I guess.
Coon or not ~ he's an amazing wonderful affectionate - likes climbing
the trees in the back yard! and does so as easy as a possum or
Squirrell!!
incidentally - to clear up the old email address that seems to point
to U.K. ~ we're actually in NZ.
finally - I may try the "keep in in all day for a period of time" and
see if it curtails his wanderings - plus with no owners showing up now
- we're taking him down to the vet for a checkover next week - then
we'll find out perhaps more accurately his age, and also find out if
he needs umm... neutering! and also perhaps a more definitive see if
he is a M'Coon or not.
thanks again for all the responses....