Whiskers breaking off

Old January 20th 04, 12:29 AM
Knack

Default Whiskers breaking off

The whiskers of my girlfriend's 6 month old kitten have been breaking off
since before he was adopted from a shelter. He's also kind've bony for his
age (only 6 lbs). Everyone remarks that they can feel his ribs and spine
more than with other kittens, including more than a slinky 5 month old
Siamese male who is his companion kitten. He seems to eat normally;
Eukaneuba and a couple other "high quality" processed kitten foods.

How do we correct his problems? Is it nutritional? Was wondering whether we
should get some fish oil to put on his food.

Old January 20th 04, 01:02 AM
Knack

"Knack" wrote in message
link.net...
The whiskers of my girlfriend's 6 month old kitten have been breaking off
since before he was adopted from a shelter. He's also kind've bony for his
age (only 6 lbs). Everyone remarks that they can feel his ribs and spine
more than with other kittens, including more than a slinky 5 month old
Siamese male who is his companion kitten. He seems to eat normally;
Eukaneuba and a couple other "high quality" processed kitten foods.

How do we correct his problems? Is it nutritional? Was wondering whether

we
should get some fish oil to put on his food.

BTW, the kitten is not a Cornish Rex (broken whiskers a trait of that
breed). He's a grayish "tiger" kitty with spots, stripes, tail rings,
bracelets, M on forehead, black toes, etc.

Old January 20th 04, 02:54 AM
Mary

The whiskers of my girlfriend's 6 month old kitten have been breaking off
since before he was adopted from a shelter. He's also kind've bony for his
age (only 6 lbs).

Kittens sometimes play rough and break their whiskers. Other kittens sometimes
nibble on cagemates whiskers. Some kittens are just skinny while some are fat,
just like humans. Siamese are generally very slim so if he's slimmer than a 5
month old siamese, that's pretty slim. Of course he could have worms. Did he
ever get an initial vet visit, testing and vaccines? Maybe he has fleas and
worms? Make sure he's still eating his wet kitten food along with dry. If he
continues to be skinny, I'd take him to the vet.

Old January 20th 04, 06:08 AM
Knack

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, he got an initial visit to the vet and two more visits since that one,
and he's been adopted for only 3 weeks now. No worms, no fleas, but he did
initially have ear mites. The kittens sure do play rough though. It would be
a coincidence if both the Siamese and whatever cagemate the little fella was
with in the shelter's cage both nibbled on his whiskers. We haven't spotted
the Siamese doing that to him yet. He doesn't get much wet kitten food,
partly because we don't want to spoil him and partly because there are only
2 brands of wet kitten food locally available.