A Very Hairy Cat

Old July 19th 04, 11:42 PM
Sue Too

Default A Very Hairy Cat

In February my cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroid. I was given a
choice of treatments, all expensive, and after looking at what each
involved, decided to go with a radium treatment. It involved one shot,
a four day stay at a special clinic, and two weeks for special
treatment of waste, at home. He was done in the middle of March, and
recently passed his thyroid test with flying colors.
Now my problem. He is growing new fur everywhere. It has spread more
than halfway across the inside of his ears, long, silky fur. So much
has grown on his upper back legs that he looks like he has bloomers.
His chest just sort of sticks out. All this has happened since his
shot in March. Does anyone out there have an idea why? He seems
healthy, but it's like I have a new cat, not a domesic short hair, but
a hairy fur ball. Will welcome any comments
Sue Too
Old July 20th 04, 05:13 PM
Mary

"Sue Too" wrote in message
om...
In February my cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroid. I was given a choice

of treatments, all expensive, and after looking at what each involved,
decided to go with a radium treatment.

Sue, my 9-year-old cat Buddha has just been diagnosed and I have decided on
this treatment too--if we find that her kidney function is good after a
short round of Tapazole.

I'd love to hear more about your experience with this.

Now my problem. He is growing new fur everywhere. It has spread more than

halfway across the inside of his ears, long, silky fur.

Wow, I have no idea, but Buddha is a domestic short hair too and I want her
to stay that way! Hope someone else can help with some information.

Old July 20th 04, 11:56 PM
Sue Too

"Mary" wrote in message r.com...
"Sue Too" wrote in message
om...
In February my cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroid. I was given a choice

of treatments, all expensive, and after looking at what each involved,
decided to go with a radium treatment.

Sue, my 9-year-old cat Buddha has just been diagnosed and I have decided on
this treatment too--if we find that her kidney function is good after a
short round of Tapazole.

I'd love to hear more about your experience with this.

Now my problem. He is growing new fur everywhere. It has spread more than

halfway across the inside of his ears, long, silky fur.

Wow, I have no idea, but Buddha is a domestic short hair too and I want her
to stay that way! Hope someone else can help with some information.

Mary---My Chessie was thirteen, so age should be no problem. He had

become very sick, and lost alot of weight.

Old July 21st 04, 12:38 AM
Sue Too

"Mary" wrote in message r.com...
"Sue Too" wrote in message
om...
In February my cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroid. I was given a choice

of treatments, all expensive, and after looking at what each involved,
decided to go with a radium treatment.

Sue, my 9-year-old cat Buddha has just been diagnosed and I have decided on
this treatment too--if we find that her kidney function is good after a
short round of Tapazole.

I'd love to hear more about your experience with this.

Now my problem. He is growing new fur everywhere. It has spread more than

halfway across the inside of his ears, long, silky fur.

Wow, I have no idea, but Buddha is a domestic short hair too and I want her
to stay that way! Hope someone else can help with some information.

Mary--- Will start this again-cat jumped on keyboard and posted my

unfinished message. Chssie was thirteen so age should be no problem.
Very sick-lost weight-back to where I was! The group I used was
Radiocat, and you should be able to look them up on the net. All the
bloodwork and testing was done by my own vet and faxed to them. They
have offices around the country, and it will depend on where you live
how far you have to travel. It was about 135 miles for me. Cats are
done in groups, admitted on a Tuesday and sent home on Friday. Because
of the radiation I couldn't see Chessie for those four days.
I have been very, very happy with the results. Within three weeks

his energy level was up,and he had put on some weight. At the end of
three months when he went for his thyroid test, you would have never
guessed he had ever had a problem. I chose this instead of one of the
other options because it was a one shot deal. Neither Chessie or I
would have survived the two pill a day route, with continuous testing.
One of us would have been dead by now.
I just can't say enough good things about these people. It was so

fast and easy, though as I said before, expensive, it was just short
of a miracle.
I had called both my vet and Radiocat about the fur. Neither had a

clue. If I can be of any more help, let me know,and I wish you all the
luck in the world. Let me know how everything turns out.