My cat keeps licking plastic bags!

Old October 16th 05, 10:55 PM
DAdriano

Default My cat keeps licking plastic bags!

Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
this?

Old October 16th 05, 11:10 PM
Spot

I've seen postings for this before but I can't remember if anyone ever
really came up with a reason for it. I have a calico who likes to chew
apart cardboard boxes. I swear she was a cock roach in a previous life.
She never eats them just chew bits off the boxes and makes a mess.

Celeste

Old October 16th 05, 11:12 PM
---MIKE---

Anyone have any thoughts about my
female cat doing this? She doesn't try
to eat it, but she loves to lick any sort
of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some
supplement that makes her want to do
this?

I think all cats like to do this. When I am through with my grocery
bags, I cut the handles and put the bags in the trash. I don't think
licking the plastic would be harmful but I would prefer that they don't
do it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 16th 05, 11:23 PM
Janet B

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:55:18 GMT, "DAdriano"
, clicked their heels and said:

Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
this?

My weird little tortie has done this all of her life. I keep them out
of reach if it bugs me.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old October 16th 05, 11:50 PM
Joe Canuck

DAdriano wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
this?

Keep them out of reach.

Allowing a cat to play with a plastic bag is the same as allowing in
infant to do so.

Be safe first, rather than sorry later.

Old October 17th 05, 01:05 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-10-16 15:55:18 -0600, "DAdriano" said:

Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't
try to eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like
grocery bags or garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that
makes her want to do this?

Don't know if this is true, but somewhere, sometime, I heard that some
plastics are made in part with fish oils, hence the attraction.

Old October 17th 05, 01:41 AM
Phil P.

"DAdriano" wrote in message
Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try

eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags

or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to

do
this?

Cats like to lick/chew plastic bags because of the vegetable- Pam-type
coating used in the molds to prevent the plastic from sticking to the molds.

Gotta watch those plastic bags- Cats' carnassial teeth can cut the plastic
like scissors and they can swallow pieces that can pleat up the intestines
and/or cut through the intestine wall. Also, cats can get their heads
caught in the handles and choke to death.

Phil

Old October 17th 05, 05:38 AM
Brian Link

wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
this?

Louis loves plastic. He also likes envelope glue. He's doing fine, but
I always try to keep bags away from him.. lots of unhappy endings with
cats and plastic bags..

BLink
Old October 17th 05, 11:42 AM

Otis has been doing this for years, the noise drives me mad so I don't
leave them on the floor any more, but his favourite is the one in my
bedroom bin, which, if allowed, he will frantically lick at about 5am
or thereabout.