Hair loss

Old November 6th 03, 12:56 PM
Jon Riley

Default Hair loss

We have a 14-year female cat who is suffering from increasing hair loss over
the rear half of her body.
She recently had an enlarged thyroid removed. Before this she was losing
weight, and had scabby patches on her fur. The vet thought the latter might
be flea allergy, although she has been relatively free of fleas for some
years, and we have been treating her for this. (At one time she had many,
and didn't suffer badly from them.)
Since the operation, she has put weight back on and seemed more lively, but
the hair loss has become more widespread. Instead of the odd single patch
(with occasional redness), it's more like a general hair thinning, with no
obvious sore patches. We haven't noticed her over-grooming, although she now
stays indoors more often than before.

She's due back at the vet for a check-up shortly, but I thought I'd ask here
if anyone had info beforehand.

Also - this may not be connected, as it's been the case for some years, when
she was perfectly healthy - we've noticed small white objects like eggs,
about 2mm (1/16 inch) long, left where she sleeps. What are these? After
several days, these can be quite numerous. But there seems to be no
associated insect infestation.

(I've also posted this to alt.med.veterinary)

JR

Old November 6th 03, 05:06 PM
Wendy

The white objects you found where she sleeps might be tape worm segments.
This would be consistent with the flea infestation your cat has had
previously. They get the tape worm from eating the fleas while grooming
themselves. They can have a tape worm for a while before you notice the
segments. I had one cat who had a tape worm but nothing ever showed up in
stool specimens. If you can gather some of the white objects, take them to
your vet who can confirm what it is and prescribe something to treat this if
necessary.

Don't know if a tape worm would have anything to do with the hair loss or
not.

Old November 6th 03, 06:04 PM
Karen M.

Jon Riley wrote:

[...]

Hi JR
That doesn't sound like a flea allergy, you're right. A flea allergy
would have the cat scratching, grooming and itching certain areas raw.
Too little thyroid hormone can cause hair loss, according to several
sources. Ask your vet about this.

Here's a couple of sites I found quickly:

http://www.nzymes.com/Articles/cat_s...r_problems.htm (this one is a
commercial site but these are some types of hair loss conditions in cats)

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/petsymp...a=adid=6190616

HTH!

Karen

Old November 7th 03, 10:11 AM
Jon Riley

"Karen M." wrote in message

Jon Riley wrote:

[...]

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/petsymp...3234_525216,00
..html?arrivalSA=1&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=6190 616

Thanks for these. It certainly looks like "Feline Endocrine Alopecia"
("Thinning or balding of coat on insides of back legs, lower abdomen and
genital area" - although it's all round her lower body, her hips and back as
well; the front half of her body is fine.)
But I guess (given the operation) it may be the thyroid deficiency - except
it seems a surprisingly quick effect.
We'll certainly check with the vet.

JR