[OT] Telescopes

Old July 10th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] Telescopes

Anyone know much about telescopes? I was given a Tasco 66TE one with some
extra eyepieces. I am clueless as to the purpose of the extra eyepieces, and
the long tube with a glass in in about 1/3 of the way up (is this an
extension peice or something else)? Naturally, it didn't come with a manual
and my google-fu for finding it on-line is failing me.

Of course, the weather has been miserable, with either clouds & rain
rendering the telescope useless, or so bitterly cold & windy that there is
*no way* I want to be outside! So far the only thing I"ve seen is the front
door knob of the neighbours over the other side of the road :-)

Still, its one of those things that have been on my 'wish list' forever, and
it was free, so I have absolutely no right to complain - but wish someone
would explain it to me! Anyone know more about telescopes, their operation &
care, please give me a quick tutorial on what I should be doing, please?

Yowie

Old July 10th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Still, its one of those things that have been on my 'wish list' forever, and
it was free, so I have absolutely no right to complain - but wish someone
would explain it to me! Anyone know more about telescopes, their operation &
care, please give me a quick tutorial on what I should be doing, please?

Yowie

It's been a very long time since I gave my last reflector away, but as I
recall the eyepieces are where the magnifying lenses are. Different
eyepieces would provide different degrees of magnification.

Dan
Old July 10th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

It's been a very long time since I gave my last reflector away, but as I
recall the eyepieces are where the magnifying lenses are. Different
eyepieces would provide different degrees of magnification.

Dan

Actually, I've been assuming it's a reflector. If it's a refractor, that
could still be the case.

The closest manual I've been able to find is for a Tasco 56TN. It's at
http://www.tasco.com/products/manual...4N-301005N.pdf.
Does that help any?

Dan

Old July 10th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
make sure your light is off in the bedroom when you are staring at the
neighbors ;-)

(SNORT!)

Reminds me, of course, that when you look up at night, you see a completely
different set of stars than most of us see. I remember how weird and
exciting it was at Apollo Bay (Victoria) to look up over the ocean and see a
different sky.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 10th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
make sure your light is off in the bedroom when you are staring at the
neighbors ;-)

(SNORT!)

Reminds me, of course, that when you look up at night, you see a
completely different set of stars than most of us see. I remember how
weird and exciting it was at Apollo Bay (Victoria) to look up over the
ocean and see a different sky.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

I can trump that. I remember Yowie showing me the night sky and pointing
out the Southern Cross. ;-)

I'm so fortunate to have met several RPCAers, including Yowie, Flippy, Tish
and Vicki in Sydney. I don't think Vicki posts here any more.

Joy

Old July 10th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
make sure your light is off in the bedroom when you are staring at the
neighbors ;-)

(SNORT!)

Reminds me, of course, that when you look up at night, you see a
completely different set of stars than most of us see. I remember how
weird and exciting it was at Apollo Bay (Victoria) to look up over the
ocean and see a different sky.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

I can trump that. I remember Yowie showing me the night sky and pointing
out the Southern Cross. ;-)

(blink blink) Ok, I'm dumb or something. How does that trump . . . ?

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 10th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John A

In article , Yowie
wrote:

[...]

I'm no great expert, but here goes. Different eyepieces give you
different magnification. Not sure what you mean by "the long tube with
a glass in it". Is this like a mini-telescope fixed to the side of the
main telescope? if so it's a finder, it will have a low magnification,
you start by using this to find the object you want to observe (it's
too difficult to find using the main scope because the field of view is
too small). I'd suggest looking for a good astronomical book, I'm not
familiar enough with what's around to recommend anything.

IMHO weather and light pollution are the real problems with astronomy
as a hobby. The only time you get good 'seeing' is when it's really
clear and then it's really cold too :-).

Good luck,

John, servant to their Imperial Siamese Majesties Rhia and Amy.
Old July 11th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

It's normal that different eyepieces give different magnifications. Putting
this politely, Tasco haven't got the greatest of reputations as to quality
so don't think you're going to be seeing huge amounts of detail. It should
be good enough to get some excellent views of the moon though.

BUT, if you go he-

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...QAdIdZ58353532

Perhaps a nice email would get the folk to photocopy & post or scan & email
the manual to you?