Please help with v. sick hyperthyroid cat

Old July 17th 04, 06:26 AM
PrairieKats

Default Please help with v. sick hyperthyroid cat

Hi,
I'm new to this group, and am hoping that someone is on line -- I have
an 18 year old diabetic hyperthyroid cat -- on a DM food and tapazole,
and the last two days on an anabolic steroid the vet thought would
help his recently declining condition that I thought was due to his
diabetes rearing up again (he is spilling some glucose in his urine).

Tonight I've realized that his neck is bothering him, and I believe
that it is his thyroid. Probably not helped by our 30 degree days
these last few days and a hot house. I rubbed his throat, and his
eyes almost bugged out of his head -- I put an ice pack for him to
rest his neck on , and that seems to have helped somewhat -- I can't
get in touch with any of the vets in our area (we're rural, and the
clinics have downsized, so no one is on call this weekend), and the
closest vets available are 1 1/2 hours away == I don't want to subject
him to the trip.

I'm just beside myself -- I'm certain that is thyroid is becoming
enlarged to the point of a real problem, or tumour, and I now realize
that he really hasn't purred in the last few weeks. I have a 3 month
old daughter, and I've been so tired, I feel that I haven't caught on
to his signs quickly enough. I'm feeling just desperate, and dont'
know what I would do without him. I don't normally panic, but I am.

Please help if you have any thoughts -- the emergency vet clinic won't
offer anything over the phone, and it's just too far to take him, it
would be too stressful.

I increased the tapazole slightly, thinking it might give him some
relief. Clearly this has been worsening over the last couple of
weeks, and I didn't realize that it was his throat (thyroid) until
tonight. I feel so stupid. And it's always friday night at 11:30
when you can't get in touch with anyone, isn't it. Please help me.
Any notes appreciated, Thankyou for listening.
Old July 17th 04, 02:17 PM
Gail

He definitely needs to see a vet ASAP. It could be many things. At his
advanced age, you can't take any chances. Also, a cat's thyroid, once
stable, should be tested every 6 months. Please keep us updated.
Gail