Acoming an Outdoor Cat

Old October 7th 04, 04:41 PM
Iain

Default Acoming an Outdoor Cat

I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain
Old October 8th 04, 12:12 AM
cdchap911

you can never be sure that a cat is not going to stray, and you can
absolutely never trust that some moron in a car wont deliberatly run her
down even if she's on the side of the road. my advice is to keep her inside
and only outdoors on a leash when you are there. if she is left alone
outdoors there is also always the chance that a roaming dog or animal will
find her and she will have no protection
om...

Old October 8th 04, 12:55 AM
MaryL

"Iain" wrote in message
om...
I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain

I would strongly advise that you change your current plans and work on
helping your indoor/outdoor cat to become an indoor cat only (*instead* of
the plan you mentioned of making her an outdoor cat). Outdoor cats are
vulnerable, even in the "safest" of neighborhoods -- all it takes is one car
at the wrong door or an encounter with one unfriendly dog or even coming
upon some people with evil intentions. All of my cats (during my adult
life, that is) have been indoor cats. One had been feral, and he adjusted
to the point where eventually he did not show any interest in the outdoors.
All of my cats have been healthy, happy, truly loving companions. It *is*
essential for you to provide a variety of toys, scratching surfaces, and
climbing areas for your indoor cat. I would strongly recommend some very
sturdy scratching posts and a very good cat tree. I got mine at
www.createacatdondo.com. Please reconsider your options.

MaryL

Old October 8th 04, 04:24 AM

Hi Lain. Like all the others are saying, I agree that you should keep
kitty indoors. All my cats were strictly indoors and they still are in
a way I should say.
It is way too dangerous to let your cat to roam Last year there was a
racoon that had rabies in the yard and it approached the cathouse and
continued around the yard. I followed it around or a while and called
animal control. They said it definitely had drabies and had to destroy
it. I am thankful my kitties where not roaming at the time.

All my cats were always indoor cats. I had a situation a few years ago
where I had to move in with a friend who had no room especially for 7
cats! I had to make an outdoor condo for my kitties. I bought an 8X12
shed (aluminum siding, windows, insulation. heating. etc). I attached a
kennel to the shed so the cats stay enclosed at all times unless
supervised.
Things didn't work out so I moved out 3 years later and took the cat
condo with me. I am now working at a garden center on a farm and live
in the back in a schoolhouse that is now a rental for me. The cat condo
is right next to me. I can see it right from the huge window in my
bedroom. My cats never had it better! They have a beautiful view and I
evenn planted a garden for them. I wish I can take them all inside with
me but the place is just way to small. Even just for me.
Please check out my cat webpage:

http://www.geocities.com/mitchumgirl4/OURCATS.html

There are pics of them when they lived in normal houses with myself and
my twin sister and current ones.

:-)
Jane

Old October 8th 04, 04:35 AM
Judy

"Iain" wrote in message
om...
I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain

I live in a cat friendly neighbourhood and spayed females - both outdoor
cats.

I spent a few weeks getting mey previous cat and now current cat, getting
used to the great out doors.

First of all, I spent time with them outside on the leash. We'd do the walks
around the block and when they turned (on their own) up our walkway - they
were ready to be turned loose as they knew where they lived. Then they were
released from the leash. Then I went out with them. They never travelled
far.

From my experience, once spayed females know where they live they do not
stray.

When my current cat is out, I check on her about every hour. When the front
door opens, she either shoots in like a rocket if she wants in, or she just
shows herself, if she's not ready. My previous cat was the same.

I can only suggest that when your cats are out that you check on them from
time to time.

Old October 8th 04, 05:02 AM
Judy

"Iain" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Just curious MaryL, what happens when it comes to yourself and your family
members?

Do you keep yourself indoors with toys to protect yourself from predators,
or do you venture out and just hope for the best?

**** happens. When it comes to cats - some people do have evil intentions,
but just remember that evil intentions are not restricted to cats.