Advice and Information Needed Please

Old May 13th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

Default Advice and Information Needed Please

Actually, I always found getting the initial big chunk of change for the
kitten shots and spaying, which really can't be postponed or omitted, the
big financial barrier. Most cats are healthy most of the time, and they
don't cost much to feed. As Stormee says, you can plan for future vet
costs by putting a bit aside on a regular basis, and if you start with a
basically healthy kitten your, errr, kitty for the kitty will probably be
big enough to help out with or even cover costs by the time she's older
and at a higher risk for needing expensive vet care.

And if she keeps the cat indoors - highly recommended in some parts of the
US and Canada, what with coyotes etc - she might not need all that many
vaccinations after the introductory kitten shots (which are extremely
important). Some vets recommend against a fully array of shots every
single year for cats in very low-risk situations. OTOH, in some localities
(not mine, which is why I almost forgot it) rabies vaccinations must by
law be kept up-to-date for all cats.

--
Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. She has found a low cost clinic in her area called the HOPE
Animal Foundation which will spay a female cat for $45 (according to its
website) so she is calling them today for more information and to see if
they also offer vaccinations. I have asked my friend to set up an account
for the kitty (now called Penny) at her bank purely for Penny's needs so we
can both make monthly payments into it. I have some money set aside for the
initial kitten shots so they can be done straight away and to buy any bits
she will need for now. By the time she is ready to be spayed (the website
said from 8 weeks or 2lbs in weight but I thought that was a bit young? my
cat was spayed just before she was 5 months) there will be sufficient in the
account to pay for it. I also said to ask if she can be microchipped at the
same time she is spayed.

I think Penny will be an indoor kitty, apparently there are a lot of strays
in the area and the rabies risk hadn't even entered my head! Not sure if
Sonoma insists on the rabies shot, something else for her to find out.
Something else just occured to me also, I will need to speak to my friend
about not de-clawing Penny. Im not sure whether it is common pratice there
but I'd hate for someone to advise her to get it done and I hadn't explained
exactly what it entails.

Thanks once again for your help
Sharon

Old May 13th 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

most vets insist on shots i think before the spay, early spay is done more
and more here in the us, I don't know enough about it to have an informed
opinion, but i think sherrie and shryl and some others will have much more
intelligent comments about it, Lee

Old May 13th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

[...]

In my part of Canada, declawing is legal, but I've never had it
suggested to me by a vet, and I don't think it's terribly common. I
don't think I know anyone personally who has ever had a cat declawed.

Some vets - especially if they're working for an animal charity, and
want to be sure the job is done before the animal leaves their care -
will spay or neuter very young animals. Vets I've used have generally
suggested a bit later - in the 4-6 month age range, but of course at the
higher end, there's a greater chance of a female cat going into heat
before the surgery. One of mine did, years ago, and she was very
tiresome, too, since she wasn't let out to do what she wanted!

--
Cheryl
Old May 13th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

In my part of Canada, declawing is legal, but I've never had it suggested
to me by a vet, and I don't think it's terribly common. I don't think I
know anyone personally who has ever had a cat declawed.

Some vets - especially if they're working for an animal charity, and want
to be sure the job is done before the animal leaves their care - will spay
or neuter very young animals. Vets I've used have generally suggested a
bit later - in the 4-6 month age range, but of course at the higher end,
there's a greater chance of a female cat going into heat before the
surgery. One of mine did, years ago, and she was very tiresome, too, since
she wasn't let out to do what she wanted!

--
Cheryl

Thank you again. I have put some pics of Penny on the
alt.binaries.pictures.animals newsgroup under the heading "Penny the stray
kitten" if anyone would like to see her.

Sharon

Old May 13th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message

"Stormmee" wrote in message
the price varies a lot. she needs to do as others have suggested
and call around, also do a google for spay/nut certificates which
some shelters offer... then you take the certificate to the vet
on the list and get a big discount.

other items from the vet that are needed.
-kitten shots
-kitten booster
-blood test for flv/fhiv not sure o n those letters.
-flea treatment at first
-follow up flea treatment if the area has them and the human goes
outdoors.
-first year shots...

good uck, Lee
"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Jo wrote:

And she is going to need monthly flea
treatment as well.

That may not be true. If the cats stay inside it will not be
needed.
The only time I treated my cats was when I first got Tiger from
the
shelter - almost 11 years ago. Also, some areas are not infested
with
fleas.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Thank you everyone for your help. I have passed on all your
comments and my friend is trying to get all the costs together. I
think she really wants to keep her but didn't realise just how
much it can all add up to financially. I have tried to give her
all the pros and cons of taking on a kitten so she has some idea
of what it involves and now it's up to her. I am still willing to
pay for the spaying and vaccinations, which will help out if the
kitten stays, but it's the long term vet care/vaccinations and
food etc that she really needs to think about before making her
decision.
Once again, thanks so much

Sharon

Unfortunately there are few things more expensive than a free cat.
One of them is a free dog.

Hope you can work something out.

Jo

Old May 13th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

[...]

Oh, and a microchip really is a necessity. Any cat can get out, and
inside cats are more likely to head for the hills if they do.

Jo

Old May 13th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

[...]

Sonoma is one valley west of us, and we have rabies problems here
every few years. Of course it doesn't help that Marysville, CA is
evidently the skunk capital of the world.

Spaying can wait until a kitten is bigger and older. I always
waited for the five month point.

But it can be done sooner. Not as good for the cat, but beats
staying in a shelter and the shelters are understandably reluctant
to place an un neutered cat in a home and just hope for the best.
Even sending a kitten off with a certificate for a free surgery
isn't enough to convince some people who really thought a kitten was
a cool idea but aren't terribly responsible.

Jo

Old May 14th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I just paid for neutering and shots for a kitty (for a lady doing work on my
home) a couple weeks ago, and I think it was somewhat over $200.

Art

Is she the same lady who brought Eerz to you? If so, is she still
living out of her car? If so, I'm baffled