Crate Napper

Old September 20th 04, 07:53 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Crate Napper

Natasha's crate is one of the medium size hard-plastic ones, with mesh
openings on two sides for air and looking out of, and of course the
mesh door on the front. Being the medium size, she has plenty of room
- she can sit or stand without bumping her head. Natasha hates it,
because going into the crate means either a trip to TED or a long
drive.

When we recently returned from a visit to my parents (6hr+ drive), I
was lazy and didn't break it down and put it away. Instead I left it
whole and put it in a corner.

Guess who's now decided the evil crate makes a terrific place for
napping.

So now in the daylight hours she sleeps in her bed. Later in the day,
when the sun's right, she'll find a convenient sunbeam and lay on the
floor or couch as appropriate. Early evening will find her snoozing in
the crate. Later evening she'll stretch out full-length and nap in the
middle of the living room floor!

I just hope this means she won't fight as hard the next time I have to
put her in there!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old September 20th 04, 10:43 PM
Bill Stock

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
[...]

Not Likely, since it won't be her idea.

Cali went to the TED recently and it was the usual chore to get her inside
the crate. The cage sat in the TV room for a while after Cali came back and
Smokey thought it was a great place to sleep. She actually missed it when
gone. But then Smokey likes to look out the windows when she goes to TEDs.
There are some advantages to being a dumb bunny.

Old September 21st 04, 02:02 AM
O J

On Mon, 20 Sep, Jeanne Hedge wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
So now in the daylight hours she sleeps in her bed. Later in the day,
when the sun's right, she'll find a convenient sunbeam and lay on the
floor or couch as appropriate. Early evening will find her snoozing in
the crate. Later evening she'll stretch out full-length and nap in the
middle of the living room floor!

I just hope this means she won't fight as hard the next time I have to
put her in there!

You should be so lucky!

--
Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old September 21st 04, 03:37 AM
Marina

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

[...]

Dream on, Jeanne. ;o) Nikki likes to sleep in her Sherpa bag, too. My
sister stacks her cats' crates on top of each other, and you will often
find a cat sleeping in each one, like a bunk bed.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old September 21st 04, 06:35 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:37:01 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

snip
I just hope this means she won't fight as hard the next time I have to
put her in there!

Dream on, Jeanne. ;o) Nikki likes to sleep in her Sherpa bag, too. My
sister stacks her cats' crates on top of each other, and you will often
find a cat sleeping in each one, like a bunk bed.

Sometimes it seems that they CAN tell time. I remember a couple years
ago trying to catch Rocky to take to TED because of a fight wound.
This was when he was still pretty wild, before he became a family
member. He'd come inside to eat sometimes (as long as I kept the door
open) and even let me pet him while he ate.

Anyway, I talked with TED and told him about the stray cat with a
swollen leg, and was tol I could bring him in anytime during office
hours and he'd give him a long acting antibiotic shot.

I swear Rocky must have had the phone tapped, maybe LB or Sammy warned
him. Rocky stopped coming during the day, but would show up as soon as
the clinic closed. I outfoxed him, though, by luring him inside and
keeping him overnight, then taking him in for the shot first thing the
next morning. That was Rocky's first overnight stay in the apartment,
and not a very pleasant experience. He hid under the bed all night,
except for coming out to leave a token of his displeasure in the
middle of the bedroom floor. Also, the abcess burst sometime during
the night, so there was blood all over the carpet under the bed. And,
catching him and getting him in the carrier took over an hour. I
figured out that the bedroom was a poor choice for catching him, so
herded him into the bathroom. That wasn't any better - instead of
hiding under the bed he hid behind the toilet. Eventually, I figured
out that the best room in the apartment for trapping him was the
bedroom closet. So, after rigging a lantern for light I followed him
in the next time he tried to hide there, and after a LONG 15 minute
struggle had him in the carrier.

NOTE: that was the time he terrorized the vet's assistant so bad that
I ended up having to help hold him for the shot. The assistant let him
out of the cage to get him ready before the vet came in, but then
Rocky crawled under the chair and the assistant couldn't get him out.
So, I told her I'd get him and she left the room. I let him stay where
he was, hoping he'd calm down a little, until the vet came. I dropped
a blanket over him and held him while the vet gave him the shot, since
the assistant never came back. hmmmm now that that think about it, I
really should have gotten some sort of discount
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old September 21st 04, 07:58 AM
LOL

[...]

Hmmm. Maybe. We'll send purrs that it be so. ;-)

Tallulah, however, loved to snooze and hang out in the carrier *until*
her first vet visit. She hasn't been in it voluntarily since.

------
Krista
Old September 22nd 04, 06:15 AM
Singer709

[...]

My big tabby "Dupree" (RB) was always getting inside boxes, including
his carrier. He was however fearless.

My present huge orange buddy "RJ" loves a medium-size cardboard box,
laid on its side and open.

It's called the "clubhouse", and on the top of the box, I helpfully
wrote in black marker pen "Klubhouse -- No gurlz alowed"

Old September 23rd 04, 05:12 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Steve
Touchstone wrote:

NOTE: that was the time he terrorized the vet's assistant so bad that
I ended up having to help hold him for the shot. The assistant let him
out of the cage to get him ready before the vet came in, but then
Rocky crawled under the chair and the assistant couldn't get him out.
So, I told her I'd get him and she left the room. I let him stay where
he was, hoping he'd calm down a little, until the vet came. I dropped
a blanket over him and held him while the vet gave him the shot, since
the assistant never came back. hmmmm now that that think about it, I
really should have gotten some sort of discount

Vaguely apropos, as a teenager, I held my subminiature dachshund while
he was to get immunized. The shot was supposed to be subcutaneous, in an
area of loose skin, but Peter jerked and the needle went completely
through and into the fleshy part of my hand.

Apologetically, the vet looked at me and told me the bright side: that I
was in no danger of getting rabies, leptospirosis, or distemper.

Ironically, many years later, I did get a form of leptospirosis (Weil's
Disease) from contaminated swimming water. I'm not sure that the doggy
vaccine would have protected me anyway, especially in the dose for a 4
pound dog.

When I say subminiature, I mean it. Peter never developed testicles, so
he never grew beyond large puppy size, and of a miniature species. His
average weight was four pounds, except after a large meal.
Unfortunately, he had a habit of eating the inedible. Picture (or don't
if you are sensitive) the effect of a 4-pound dog eating 1 pound of
vaseline.

This took a while to diagnose, but there were no long term ill effects.
He did seem to develop some rocket thrust for a few hours, but I only
recognized the look in his eyes after my first trip to Las Vegas.
Essentially, his eyes looked much like the display on a slot machine
just after you pull the handle.