Advice needed: pilling Smudge

Old May 10th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Advice needed: pilling Smudge

"spot" wrote in message
I would break it up and mix it in with something she likes. If she
won't eat it that way mix it with something and smear it on her paws.
She'll have to clean herself and get it that way.

Celeste

Anyone that tries this, make sure you really rub it in. If you
haven't already witnessed it, you would be amazed at just how hard
some cats can shake their paws when necessary.

And I'd swear some of them can pucker up and spit!

Jo

Old May 10th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"spot" wrote in message
I would break it up and mix it in with something she likes. If she won't
eat it that way mix it with something and smear it on her paws. She'll
have to clean herself and get it that way.

Celeste

Anyone that tries this, make sure you really rub it in. If you haven't
already witnessed it, you would be amazed at just how hard some cats can
shake their paws when necessary.

And I'd swear some of them can pucker up and spit!

Jo

You'd be right!

I saw my friend's cat take one chomp on a big spider and spit it out. I had
never seen a cat spit anything out before, but that's exactly what he did.
And he even made that ptooey spit sound. No one has seen him try to eat a
spider since.

The moral of this story is don't use a spider to pill your cat!
Karla

Old May 10th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

---MIKE--- wrote:

Amber has arthritis. I use Cosequin for Cats (available from
Amazon.com) It comes in capsules and I open the capsule and mix the
powder in a can of food for both Amber and Tiger. They apparently don't
taste it. If I put one capsules' worth in just Amber's food she can
taste it and won't eat it.

So it's OK for Tiger to eat it?

That's an issue for me, too, because my cats like to trade bowls after
a while. You know, just in case Licky or Roxy has something better.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 10th 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

No, she didn't mention this at all. I assume this is specific to cats?

Yes, it's a liver enzyme that cats *don't* have, so it takes 3 days
for the liver to break down aspirin. Or that's the version I remember. :-)

I wonder if that's the same reason why cats can't metabolize large amounts
of body fat (in the case where they're suddenly losing a lot of weight),
and why it can cause fatty liver syndrome? (Which doesn't happen when a
human suddenly loses a lot of weight.) Well, I imagine a different enzyme
would be involved, since aspirin and body fat are very different
substances. But maybe it's the same idea. Maybe a cat's liver just doesn't
deal with as many different kinds of substances as a human's does. That
would make sense to me, since we're omnivores and cats are carnivores.

This is worrying me, that my vet insisted she should get a whole tablet
every 3 days, when several of you say 1/4 tab. I'm going to call again
before I give her any more. I don't want to give her liver problems!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 10th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karla wrote:

I saw my friend's cat take one chomp on a big spider and spit it out. I had
never seen a cat spit anything out before, but that's exactly what he did.
And he even made that ptooey spit sound. No one has seen him try to eat a
spider since.

The moral of this story is don't use a spider to pill your cat!

Damn! I was just going to do that!

LOL.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 11th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Joyce asked (relative to Cosequin)

So it's OK for Tiger to eat it?

Tiger will be 11 tomorrow and while he shows no signs of arthritis a
little clucosimine should be beneficial.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 11th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

---MIKE--- wrote:

Joyce asked (relative to Cosequin)

So it's OK for Tiger to eat it?

Tiger will be 11 tomorrow and while he shows no signs of arthritis a
little clucosimine should be beneficial.

Good point. Roxy's also 11, so I guess it wouldn't hurt her to have
some, either.

Happy Birthday to Tiger!!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 11th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

[...]

A baby aspirin is a half aspirin to start with right? And I'm
guessing the 1/4 used to be daily. But it can't hurt to check with
your vet.

Jo